Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, my name is Andrew and im new to this group. I have a 2016 Focus RS with said mods:

GFB+ Diverter valve
ETS 4 inch intercooler
Cobb GESI Catted Downpipe
NX2 Precision Turbo
NGK Iridium Spark pluhs (.026)
Radium Catch Can

I have been extremely dissapointed with the turbo and it feels much slower than stock. The turbo lag is absolutely terrible, and im not hitting full boost until 4500 rpm.
Im currently running 22lbs of boost on the car and it feels very underwhelming.

Im only on 93 octane at the moment and the engine is running perfectly fine, no issues.

AFR's are great (14.70 normal driving and 10.88-11 at WOT)
IGN correction's are +4 on WOT across the board
Charge pipe temps are 5 above ambient on WOT
Oil ranges from 190-210 normal driving, never goes above

Im just reasonably mad that I spent all this money and ended up being slower than stock, just curious what is wrong.

My tuner said that some NX2 turbos are slow to respond and some arent, and mine appears to be slow to spool from what hes saying

Any feedback is appreciated. Budget is tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
157 Posts
Better off pulling the turbo off and putting the stocker back on. The stock heads just won’t flow enough to really appreciate the nx2 and you need to run more boost. Once you decide to go built then put the precision back on.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Not familiar to the NX2 turbo and how it compares to the stock Garrett unit, but I'm assuming it is a larger unit and inherently takes longer to spool compared to the smaller OEM unit. Perhaps your tuner can do something to try to reduce that lag? Maybe an aftermarket wastegate actuator?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
E85?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well I have that turbo and it does light slower than stock as that’s what happens when you go bigger. As for your power you should not be lower or slower. Are you sure it’s slower or you just can’t get it to go faster. Mine took some learning to make sure power was ready when stock was just stab the throttle. Second it may be slower cause your only at 22psi.
I was running 24 psi for a while on stock block and for break in on my new long block. Have him raise boost to 24 and see. I think 24psi -26 would be safe with stock block. Keep in mind that my opinion but I would feel fine at that level.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Don’t look at psi, look at your mass air lb/min of flow rate. Psi just shows back pressure, your lb/min shows how much air youre actually moving through the system.

for example, stock turbo FBO at my redline I flow 48-49lb/min with 94+wmi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Gonna raise boost. Going e30 as well. Gonna see where this goes.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Who's the custom mapping done by ? As he is talking out of his ass.
If its not running a twin port actuator and been custom mapped in it wont perform at all.
It really should drive like stock and the torque should pull trees out of the ground from a 400whp build to a 700whp build.
Sounds like your tuner isn't up to the job as the NX2 turbo is awesome

·
Registered
697 Posts
Who's the custom mapping done by ? As he is talking out of his ass.
If its not running a twin port actuator and been custom mapped in it wont perform at all.
It really should drive like stock and the torque should pull trees out of the ground from a 400whp build to a 700whp build.
Sounds like your tuner isn't up to the job as the NX2 turbo is awesome
Yep, either hit up PDtuning or @tunedbynishan. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Something is wrong. Go thru the whole turbo system for leaks and fitment. Occasionally the NX2 has been replaced by vendor/manufacturer for faults. You have all good parts. Cheapest is to go thru it all, then get a tune from someone else to start. Ryan PD, Nishan, Adam T+, Brian JST or Randy TWerks. Setup should rock.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
"some NX2 turbos are slow to respond and some arent" This isn't a statement I necessarily agree with if the unit is working correctly. Unless you are talking about big changes in elevation you should see similar spool time to every other NX2 on the planet.

Does your nx2 have an aftermarket wastegate? if so you could have incorrect preload on it. This would effect both your spool time and overall boost production.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Andrew (Sneak) you are not alone. I have a very similar setup, stock block and heads with all the bits bolted on. I was/ am pretty let down with how it drives. I have to keep it wound up to be anywhere near boost, once on boost the car moves. But it feels terribly lazy from a stand still and I have a massive bog/ hole at light throttle around 2800-3200rpm that makes the car terrible to live with driving in town like a reasonable person. It's not nearly as fun to drive as it was. Per Ryan @DPtuning's suggestion I checked my actuator, and I'm probably over loaded on the wastegate slightly. I used one of the tuners on gbassrace's list, before the NX2 and with it.
It's been such a let down I'm over this car, I don't drive it anymore and it's time for it to go.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Not to be rude, but when doing a ‘big turbo’ swap, what else did you expect.
This is the exact reason I did everything but the turbo on my car as I couldn't find one that hit its peak torque low enough. I'm waiting for more info on the mountune v2 turbo as it may be what I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to be rude, but when doing a ‘big turbo’ swap, what else did you expect.
I understand that a larger turbo will be slow, but was assured it wouldn't be so terrible. I had to take suggestions because I don't know how to read the flow charts and what they mean. And I had to get a turbo as I had a turbo bearing failure at less than 13k miles

·
Registered
113 Posts
Really interesting read and humbling. My forged setup is waiting for the right turbo, when one plug-n-play version is finally released. I’ve played around with aftermarket turbos in various guises and reckon that the OEM RS turbo is almost perfect for the street. My gauge says there’s widespread acceptance around that these days because the OEM setup just responds so well to good tuning with 400+bhp and quick spool. Punch it and it responds. The number chasers will never agree and of course each to their own where goals are concerned, but the amount RS people I’ve had a chat with recently with big turbos shrug their shoulders and complain of running out of road. Generally, they just want the fun back and to be able to punch it. Brap! Braap! Braaap! Even at the All Ford Day the Cosworth guys were whinging about lag. Maybe uprated cams may be the answer, but the NX2 isn’t a quick spool turbo IMHO and requires a fair amount of hardware and software tuning to get it to play reasonably quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've wondered about cam options and or fuel changes that much help, but I haven't put in the research to find any answers. If I can't find someone to buy the car I will have to find a stock turbo to get the fun factor back, and then hopefully it will sell.

·
Registered
642 Posts
This is the exact reason I did everything but the turbo on my car as I couldn't find one that hit its peak torque low enough. I'm waiting for more info on the mountune v2 turbo as it may be what I'm looking for.

Torque how much do you need at 2500rpm 300 torques and 3000rpm 400 torques using an NX2 turbo. This is an older map and the driveability is better than factory

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
67 Posts

The efr7163 and the nx2 will spool within a couple hundred rpm from stock. Hell even my car with a 4 port head, piper stage 4 cams, a relocated turbo with alot of runner length, and stock cr pistons spools faster than the op's car. If I floor it at 3k rpm I have 20psi at 4k-4.1k rpm.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts