Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
FBO or FBO + Nx2: 400 to 440 wtq

All depends on your fueling. 91, 93, E85 available for E30? Methanol 4 port injection?

With an air filter, intake elbow to replace accordion thing, colder plugs, colder tstat, alky straight 100% meth injection, and a custom tune on 93 octane a forum member hit 385 whp / 440 wtq. Stock turbo, bypass valve, intercooler and exhaust. This is my pick for the best bang for buck setup.

The stock clutch won't handle multiple launches at that power level but with soft launches it should be ok. Also 400 to 440 wheel torque is the most that's safe for the stock bottom end.

The NX2 takes over in the higher rpm range where the stock looses efficiency and is capable of flowing enough air to bring power and torque levels into the 500+ zone but only with more supporting mods such as a built bottom end, cams, ported head and aux fuel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FBO or FBO + Nx2: 400 to 440 wtq

All depends on your fueling. 91, 93, E85 available for E30? Methanol 4 port injection?

With an air filter, intake elbow to replace accordion thing, colder plugs, colder tstat, alky straight 100% meth injection, and a custom tune on 93 octane a forum member hit 385 whp / 440 wtq. Stock turbo, bypass valve, intercooler and exhaust. This is my pick for the best bang for buck setup.

The stock clutch won't handle multiple launches at that power level but with soft launches it should be ok. Also 400 to 440 wheel torque is the most that's safe for the stock bottom end.

The NX2 takes over in the higher rpm range where the stock looses efficiency and is capable of flowing enough air to bring power and torque levels into the 500+ zone but only with more supporting mods such as a built bottom end, cams, ported head and aux fuel.
Sounds like a nice bump to me. I think my concern with going "big" turbo was losing low-end toque. I am running E30 so no need for aux fuel. I don't want to run E85 w/ NX2 because I feel that would be a bit too much torque for the stock motor and daily driving.. cost is also a factor and the kits are like $1400. My goal is essentially maximizing the motor (keeping in mind daily driving) without going into the red zone. With the NX2/E30 I'm guessing 400+whp and 440ish wtq which is plenty.

I guess what I'd really like to see is the torque curves compared. I could care less for the extra torque if it means I have to sacrifice low end, get more turbo lag, etc. I did some YouTubing though and the video I found of a guy on Adam's E30 tune with the NX2 hits hard around 4K which isn't too much higher than where the stock turbo hits rn... I've for the WGA for the NX2 as well which should improve my pulls. Guess I'll just have to send it lol!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
There's always the BorgWarner efr-6758 that's in the Mountune m450 kit in the UK. That setup doesn't lose as much of the low end as the NX2 or other bigger turbos. You still need forged internals.

But the trick would be to find a tuner familiar with the setup in the US.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There's always the BorgWarner efr-6758 that's in the Mountune m450 kit in the UK. That setup doesn't lose as much of the low end as the NX2 or other bigger turbos. You still need forged internals.

But the trick would be to find a tuner familiar with the setup in the US.
I like that turbo response curve a lot for a predominantly street driven RS. Its expensive though. Was trying to work out if I could buy an EFR 6758 and do a turbo swap myself, most of the fittings are straightforward. But I cant figure out what the turbine housing to exhaust manifold adaptor plate is or where to source one. Looks like mountune use a custom adaptor. Mountune is always out of stock as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that turbo response curve a lot for a predominantly street driven RS. Its expensive though. Was trying to work out if I could buy an EFR 6758 and do a turbo swap myself, most of the fittings are straightforward. But I cant figure out what the turbine housing to exhaust manifold adaptor plate is or where to source one. Looks like mountune use a custom adaptor. Mountune is always out of stock as well.
I believe you can order the BW turbo from APG Turbo and pick and choose your fittings accordingly. Not sure if the available options will match the RS through. The one benefit (for me) was that the NX2 is drop-in. I got a smoking deal on it (lightly used) with the upgraded WGA so I'm stuck with what I've got haha, but still happy nonetheless.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I believe you can order the BW turbo from APG Turbo and pick and choose your fittings accordingly. Not sure if the available options will match the RS through. The one benefit (for me) was that the NX2 is drop-in. I got a smoking deal on it (lightly used) with the upgraded WGA so I'm stuck with what I've got haha, but still happy nonetheless.
No doubr you have a great turbo.

Yeah, lots of places sell BW turbos with various turbine housing options. The issue is the RS exhaust manifold does not present a standard T3 or T4 plate.
Even the ETS garrett option uses a weird looking custom adaptor.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Had my NX2 and tuneplus actuator fitted today, on a base tune from tuneplus at present

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used Adams Tune+ custom actuator and it failed to hold boost higher up solution was to use a Twinport.
Now holds a solid 2bar all the way to 7200rpm I could have had upto 36psi but it’s fast enough at 537whp

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
What fuel solution are you using I want to remain as close to stock as possible

·
Registered
530 Posts
I’m using 4 additional 1000cc injectors for fuel and added flex fuel for methanol.
But the twinport on the NX2 is a must have item, it keeps what you have rather than the other WGA which let it bleed away

·
Registered
409 Posts
Had my NX2 and tuneplus actuator fitted today, on a base tune from tuneplus at present
Are you still running the original bottom end or have you upgraded?
I would like to get someone's opinion that has dropped in the NX2 on a fully bolted stock block with Tune+ base tune that is capped at 420 WHP.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Are you still running the original bottom end or have you upgraded?
I would like to get someone's opinion that has dropped in the NX2 on a fully bolted stock block with Tune+ base tune that is capped at 420 WHP.
I have forged pistons and rods in std 2.3 block with no closed deck

·
Registered
530 Posts
I too have a standard 2.3 block but forged internals inside the motor. I also added a deck brace.

Why an NX2 if your going to strangle it at 420hp It’s good for 600+. A smaller turbo would give you that or even the OEM unit and no lag

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Only got so much to spend at mo

·
Registered
914 Posts
I used Adams Tune+ custom actuator and it failed to hold boost higher up solution was to use a Twinport.
Now holds a solid 2bar all the way to 7200rpm I could have had upto 36psi but it’s fast enough at 537whp
just posting to say to others I too had to switch from nx2 wastegate to turbosmart wastegate to a dual port turnosmart wastegate. Anyone who goes nx2, instal dual port from the start :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Totally agree with MEXRS

The TurboSmart Twinport is a must for the NX2 NOT an option but a must have item

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just posting to say to others I too had to switch from nx2 wastegate to turbosmart wastegate to a dual port turnosmart wastegate. Anyone who goes nx2, instal dual port from the start :)
Totally agree with MEXRS

The TurboSmart Twinport is a must for the NX2 NOT an option but a must have item
Good thing I've got that then! Almost switched to Mountune's recirc valve but didn't lol. I'm still on the stock setting though. Did you have to adjust it post-NX2?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too have a standard 2.3 block but forged internals inside the motor. I also added a deck brace.

Why an NX2 if your going to strangle it at 420hp It’s good for 600+. A smaller turbo would give you that or even the OEM unit and no lag
The NX2 is just a CHEAP turbo and it's drop in. I could definitely get a great quality turbo that's smaller to better pair with my power limit but it'd cost me double what I got for my NX2 ($1000). I have debated forged internals to achieve more HP but I'll also need a fuel rail to run E85, that's like $2500 in parts alone and the install service quote I got was stupid expensive.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts