Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I'm jumping ahead to problems I hope I have a chance to solve :p

But our wonderful state of California requires front plates and at least around San Jose they are pretty aggressive for ticketing if you don't have them.

None of the options sound pleasant:

Middle - Yeck!

Offset - Maybe the best solution but where and how to attach - would need the car in hand to solve this one

Inside the windshield - dicey solution, lacks class IMO, may not satisfy anyways, certainly doesn't hit the letter of the law

Brainstorming:

How to make it swing down from somewhere when you want it, hide when you don't?

Make up a smaller version of the plate - but how small before they pull you over for THAT?

Ideas? What's worked for you?

And please don't just post "Move to XXXX, we don't need them here"! You probably have crappy weather, too :rolleyes:

Jim

·
Registered
892 Posts
Move out of Nazi-fornia. ;)

Front plates destroy the aesthetics of most front bumpers. Since many states legally require them though, I'm sure they will come from the factory with some type of mounting hardware.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Plate holder that screws into the tow hook on the passenger side:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Always the dashboard to put it on. Ide rock it without till I got a ticket. Did that on my 04 STi..... That diddnt even last a week seriously.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I won't rock one, but I would put something on the tow hook

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plate holder that screws into the tow hook on the passenger side:

Probably the best possibility, although the Hide-my-Plates motorized looks like it would work. If you look closely at the picture you can see the 3 "drill here" dimples for the dealer to install the plate holder - probably with 3" drywall screws :eek: Seriously seen it before on a new MB SL500, helping my roommate remove his, the screw kept coming out and out...

I need to make sure that if I score one I have the dealer throw the hardware in the trunk instead of installing. I plan to trailer mine home with a car cover and take it straight to Mr. Tint for some 3M protective film and very light metallic tint.

Jim

·
Registered
171 Posts
Required here in St. Louis, but I've made it a year so far, and have been pulled over twice.

Seen a police car driving around without a front plate the other day...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Required in good ol' AU, but I'm looking at a thin one trying to come close to colour match the body colour in the middle.
We'll see how lucky I get though

·
Registered
434 Posts
I bought a hide a plate without the motor and remote, it would lower my clearance by an inch, so i never installed it or the plate. No ticket in 4 years in Alaska

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a hide a plate without the motor and remote, it would lower my clearance by an inch, so i never installed it or the plate. No ticket in 4 years in Alaska
Isn't the front plate visible for like 19 days per year up there :cool: No wonda!

Jim

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm in St. Louis too, and I've never rocked a front plate and have yet to be pulled over. 14 RR ST3.
I haven't had one on the ST for the 9 months I've had it and I have been pulled over once on the IL side. Cope was pissed I was following too close, my response was "then get outta the fast lane going 10 miles under the speed limit." He was gonna write me a ticket, but he got a call over the radio and jumped in his car, threw on the lights and took off. The plate is in my trunk if i ever need it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't had one on the ST for the 9 months I've had it and I have been pulled over once on the IL side. Cope was pissed I was following too close, my response was "then get outta the fast lane going 10 miles under the speed limit." He was gonna write me a ticket, but he got a call over the radio and jumped in his car, threw on the lights and took off. The plate is in my trunk if i ever need it.
Over the years, I have only been pulled over once in IL, (Hinsdale), and ticketed once while the car was parked in Chicago a few blocks from the Art Institute. Ironically, same car. 2004 Crossfire. That was about 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Was it this cop?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
30 Participants
Noodles
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing