Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Just to add - if you use a harness it's strongly recommended to use a HANS

Standard seat belt allows you to 'roll out' and reduce head momentum

Love my quickfit, but with a heavy helmet on and shoulders locked in - I love my HANS more!
I just want to mention that if you are using a HANS device, you will need the Quickfit PRO, which is designed specifically for it.

That said, this being a "Novice trackday advice" thread, I would say skip all this and stick with the OEM seat belt and focus on the line and your surroundings. Learn to drive the car "as-is" first.

·
Registered
697 Posts
That said, this being a "Novice trackday advice" thread, I would say skip all this and stick with the OEM seat belt and focus on the line and your surroundings. Learn to drive the car "as-is" first.
I would second this about using OEM seat belt. The car was designed to protect you from a highway speed crash using this.

Regarding holding you in place, I’ve never noticed a problem on track. I recently got some video with my dash cam flipped around and I don’t move at all, either with cornering or braking. The seat and belt does a great job holding me. The instructor also doesn’t seem to have a problem and he is much smaller than me. Definitely body-type dependent, but try a few days with the stock setup before buying a harness to “hold you in place”. Here are my videos:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I would second this about using OEM seat belt. The car was designed to protect you from a highway speed crash using this.

Regarding holding you in place, I’ve never noticed a problem on track. I recently got some video with my dash cam flipped around and I don’t move at all, either with cornering or braking. The seat and belt does a great job holding me. The instructor also doesn’t seem to have a problem and he is much smaller than me. Definitely body-type dependent, but try a few days with the stock setup before buying a harness to “hold you in place”. Here are my videos:

As you like.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Here are my experiences with the QuickFit Pro. Just one day at the track with it, but really pleased.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts

Here are my experiences with the QuickFit Pro. Just one day at the track with it, but really pleased.
Yes - excellent! Torso locked in is a great feeling.

High gForce turns with both feet working - golden.

Like turn 2 at Vancouver Island Motor Sports - a 140 km/hr gentle sweeper that requires a downshift and then right back on it. You can't brace a foot and also need to be light on the wheel.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Going off this - does anyone have any programs they recommend to help get instructor ride alongs or instructions? Don’t mind if it costs money honestly. I did the Evo school with autox and it was great and a huge help but wondering if there is anything similar track wise. I know I have lots of room for improvement as I’ve only got 4 TNiA under my belt and RSAA too

·
Registered
697 Posts
Going off this - does anyone have any programs they recommend to help get instructor ride alongs or instructions? Don’t mind if it costs money honestly. I did the Evo school with autox and it was great and a huge help but wondering if there is anything similar track wise. I know I have lots of room for improvement as I’ve only got 4 TNiA under my belt and RSAA too
Look up your region for the National Auto Sport Association. They have a well defined program for novice drivers that includes classroom time and lots of driving with instructors. You can move up the ranks of HPDE groups as you gain experience and confidence. Some local track day organizers probably have similar programs, but NASA is a national organization and has the strictest (and probably best) novice program I’ve seen.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Look up your region for the National Auto Sport Association. They have a well defined program for novice drivers that includes classroom time and lots of driving with instructors. You can move up the ranks of HPDE groups as you gain experience and confidence. Some local track day organizers probably have similar programs, but NASA is a national organization and has the strictest (and probably best) novice program I’ve seen.
^This. I've done a couple of NASA novice training events and they were very well run. They actually went to the trouble of matching me with an instructor who drove a similar car (at that point in time, I was in a Subaru BRZ and got matching with a spec miata guy. A friend in a WRX was matched up with an instructor who tracks an Audi, etc.).

I would also recommend asking around your local facebook track groups. I've met a couple private coaches going this route that i still hook up with for a session or two for "refreshers", tweaks or just things I can work on over the day.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts