Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm not sure if they are the same as the ST on the rear, the pics of them just look very standard OEM with the sliding caliper so I assumed (probably wrongfully) that they were ST gear. Maybe a different sized piston in the caliper? All speculation at this point I guess! Also re: braking as part of traction/stability control, does the FoRS utilise braking to achieve stability or traction? I was under the impression it was all done with the clutch system.
Not for TCS as much in this car (but probably still in very low grip situations), more for VSC on the RS. It'll use all the brakes to try to stop something bad from happening.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Yes, I understand the physics of braking. Yes, I realise that the front does considerably more work than the rear, especially in this car as most of the weight is up front. But, I'm suggesting there is a bit of extra weight in the rear compared to an ST given this car's AWD system (I'd be curious to know the weight distribution). I was also suggesting that manufacturers tend to deliberately leave a bit on the table when it comes to rear braking forces as they don't want people locking the rears under either changeable conditions or when driving at the limit.

Like it or not, the rears still represent part of the overall stopping power of the car and if we're talking about out and out maximum performance alone (which I was), then they shouldn't be overlooked. I do understand however, that this is a street car first and a "track car" second.
Someone just put their car on the scales for corner weight. RS1 with Forged Wheels was 59/41. Specs I have seen say 60/40. Side to side was almost dead even with driver weight.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Does anyone have the THICKNESS of the disc? 28mm?

I suppose I could pull a wheel, but hoping someone knows.
Minimum thickness is 23mm, I'd bet on it being 24-25mm tops. I might be able to measure tomorrow as I just put new rotors on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Minimum thickness is 23mm, I'd bet on it being 24-25mm tops. I might be able to measure tomorrow as I just put new rotors on.
24-25mm is super thin. That's a big reason people may be having heat related issues on the track. Two piece discs would make it even worse too.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I thought Essex or Wilwood made upgraded rotors that work with stock calipers. Those should tell you spec
Just checked the AP/Essex thread. OEM front is 350x25. AP set is 325x32 with new calipers. Someone was also offering just a two piece rotor upgrade.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
24-25mm is super thin. That's a big reason people may be having heat related issues on the track. Two piece discs would make it even worse too.
It's surprisingly thin given the weight of the car. Two piece discs wouldn't necessarily make it worse though, yeah you lose some mass but you can have directional vanes and pump a lot more air through. I'll have to see if I can take a pic of how my rotors looked after the track, there was noticeable discoloration in the surface of the disk due to the vanes.

Just checked the AP/Essex thread. OEM front is 350x25. AP set is 325x32 with new calipers. Someone was also offering just a two piece rotor upgrade.
Stoptech makes the 2 piece rotors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I spoke with the Brembo engineer about RS disc upgrades at SEMA. He mentioned that they won't have a disc upgrade due to the stock disc being too thin.

They DO have two full brake upgrades, their six piston kit goes all the way to a 350x34mm disc and would eliminate any heat related issues on the track, I'm sure.

2016 Ford Focus RS | Race Technologies | Brembo Official Partner

Which would be a great kit, except I'm pretty sure it would not fit under stock wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
It's surprisingly thin given the weight of the car. Two piece discs wouldn't necessarily make it worse though, yeah you lose some mass but you can have directional vanes and pump a lot more air through. I'll have to see if I can take a pic of how my rotors looked after the track, there was noticeable discoloration in the surface of the disk due to the vanes.

Stoptech makes the 2 piece rotors.
Stoptech. That's who it was - Through FocusRSShop -- $950 a pair. Thanks for the senility support.

·
5,608 Posts
Is anyone else super impressed with the brakes?
Maybe it was my older car, but the rs stops really well.

Worried some tail gater will rear end me cause of their crap brakes..
:)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Is anyone else super impressed with the brakes?
Maybe it was my older car, but the rs stops really well.

Worried some tail gater will rear end me cause of their crap brakes..
:)
LOL, is anyone else impressed with the brakes??? Well let me just say, after driving a Toyota AE111 Levin Coupe for the last 10 years, I have been driving the RS for the last 2 weeks, hop back into the Levin and feels like it has NO brakes at all in comparison!!!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I took the brembos off and put the calipers from the ST on my car. The ST brakes are pretty good, that said the brembo's have serious stopping power, its like throwing an anchor out the window

·
5,608 Posts
dgreenburg,

Awesome photo.
What tyres you have there?
Assume they are winters?

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Did you replace with stock or what aftermarket rotors?

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I am going to go a bit of a different direction than most on a brake mod. I may look back and declare myself stupid and flushing money down the drain, but this is a personal preference thing.

Background
I will be installing the Tune+400 kit and that is more than enough power for me for a DD and non-dedicated track car that mine will be (although I will have a hard time passing up a supplemental oil cooler or a real RDU cooling/nonshutdown solution). On the other hand my experience with my Golf R brakes combined with an understeering awd haldex system as the weakest link when tracking really bothered me, and I want great brakes, as light as possible to get the job done fade free. Same goes for suspension related upgrades for the track.

I already took care of a nice chunk of corner weight going to a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.4 forged at 19x8.5. Put Michelin SS's on it at 245/35r19. They are great but in hindsight I could easily have gone to 255/30, and will next time.

Suspension wise I see some really nice coilover/camber plate and anti sway bar options are stacking up and that is on my list for the Spring as well. Luckily I am not that far from Sleeper/FW Motorsports/Blakes Garage folks and I will probably get some recommendations and install help there after they evaluate their upgrades.

Brakes
Which brings me to brakes. Damn the Brembos are good. But they are also heavy, use expensive pads, and only have a relatively unbeefy one piece rotor setup (folks noticed this when looking at the Stoptech rotor only upgrades). So, I did a bunch of research and came up with what is a great solution for me (at least on paper, have to do the install and evaluation). Will do a how to vid if enough people are interested. I decided to pass on the AP/Essex option already out there as they required a wheel spacer to work. What to do?

Wilwood and TCE Performance were the ticket. I had seen Wilwood stuff for the ST. Then I saw the RS brake kit for the ST and had a eureka moment (As I was watching the CJ Pony upgrade/install).

I emailed Wilwood directly and they referred me to TCE - whom I would wholeheartedly recommend on so many levels, first and foremost super knowledgeable with amazing customer service. Great web resources to learn from as well for build/bedding/maintenance and rebuild, etc. And their pricing is excellent. Not salesy or pushy either.

Todd, as in the T, from TCE was incredible, patient and helped me learn. After which I got to the following solution for my needs. Plug and play bolt on TCE/Wilwood racing package - 6-pot Aero calipers with Thermlok pistons on 14.25x1.25 vented slotted two piece rotors for the fronts, and a plug and play bolt on 2-pot Piston matching sliding rear calipers kit with 100% e-brake compatiblity on 12 inch two piece slotted rotors for the rears. Full stainless lines, BP20 pads up front, BP10 for the rears (at least until I start tracking again in the Spring). All required mounting parts, etc.

All in all a beefier but lighter system with two piece slotted rotors that I think will be amazing. Did I absolutely need to do the rears. Nope. Will it be matching and beautiful with lighter better 2 piece rotors? Yep. Will I keep the unique blue Brembos for remount down the road if I ever sell. Yep. Will I end up with less loud calipers visually and hopefully less attention from the ticket gods, hopefully. I am doing inlays to make all of the exterior accents on a black and white theme so they will blend beautifully.

Wish me luck. This should be a fun install and change. Not sure how soon as I am now in full swing ski nut mode with my winter wheelset mounted and new snow in Tahoe. Really hard to wrench when powder beckons!

General TCE
TCE Performance Products

Focus Specific TCE
Focus 2012+ - Kits

And, Wilwood now actually has an option to change caliper colors to customize if you want it. But I chose black.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
why did you do this? Asking out of curiosity..
its nice to have a meaty sidewall to absorb potholes and the tires are cheap

·
Registered
33 Posts
dgreenburg,

Awesome photo.
What tyres you have there?
Assume they are winters?
Nitto Motivo. They are considered a performance all season. They have been doing fairly well. Not as good as a dedicated winter tire but they aren't soft and squishy like those are either! Good balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 45 Posts