Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mention that this car is not a head turner. Actually, I am not surprised Matt Farrah said that in Southern California. Modified/flashy cars are a dime a dozen there.

I had a few people gather while washing my car at the self serve place. The mechanics at the stop next door popped out to take a look too. I'm answering rapid fire questions while just trying to clean some bugs off the car. LOL.

I have been mugged by a number of ST drivers as well, and gotten a number of double takes from Subaru drivers as well. I am very hyper-observant, so maybe I notice it more, but the RS definitely garners attention. And the Nitrous Blue helps as well. I had a friend driving home on the freeway who spotted my RS as I was driving home from picking up. She was in the opposite direction, didn't know I had bought it, and said they ended up talking about the car for a few minutes after we passed each other. Didn't realize it was mine until I posted a picture up on Facebook.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i had the same with my 12 wrx with the newer widebody design. I always would laugh in my head bc it was just a 28k impreza haha

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yup... That's Portland. I have people freak out over my '92 Acura Integra GS-R almost every time I drive it. Go figure!! When I travel to SoCal for work, I'm blown away by what I see. Car culture is near dead here. But what do you expect out of a town full of Birkenstock wearing stinky hippies. :topsy_turvy:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I agree with this. The younger crowd is all over it.

The only car I have ever driven that gets more attention is a 68 Camaro with a 555 bbc. Old guys love seeing young guys drive those cars.

·
Registered
544 Posts
People who do not know cars are none the wiser to it. I had a few people stop me and ask about it in town, but not much. Car shows, necks are broken and questions from every direction. Most local car shops if you mention RS it will set them off and they will want to take pictures.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The only car I have ever driven that gets more attention is a 68 Camaro with a 555 bbc. Old guys love seeing young guys drive those cars.
TRUE!!! *Spoken by a crusty old car guy who's owned 7 Camaros... 3 of which were 68's* :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
In Southern California, short of driving a Bugatti or a super high end classic or Ferrari, you car will go mostly unnoticed. People around here don't bat an eye at my Exige or my classic Mini. As soon as I get outside the LA area with those cars, it's a whole different story. I look forward to seeing how stealth the Stealth Grey really is on my upcoming RS!

·
Registered
395 Posts
In my area, nobody gives a f**k.

I went to 5 auto parts stores for detailing supplies, nobody noticed.

I had a rock chip repaired, and I was asking questions about the process. I told him finding another windshield was not likely, and he was oblivious to why. (Not sure if ST works, especially with the dildo looking dot matrix..)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yesterday, was in merlins getting some brake pads on wife's car, and MENTIONED I'm getting an RS next month, and all hell breaks out.

They make me promise to bring it in and let them see it!

·
Registered
263 Posts
In my area, nobody gives a f**k.

I went to 5 auto parts stores for detailing supplies, nobody noticed.

I had a rock chip repaired, and I was asking questions about the process. I told him finding another windshield was not likely, and he was oblivious to why. (Not sure if ST works, especially with the dildo looking dot matrix..)
If I ever need to have my windshield replaced, I will get a NAFTA Focus windshield for the base prismatic mirror so that I can get rid of the covers around the mirror mount since they are not covering any sensors.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I live in SoCal/LA and it mostly goes unnoticed. I've had a few thumbs up from guys that would definitely know what it is who were in GTIs, STIs, MazdaSpeed 3s, but the majority of people consider it just another Focus I'm sure. One of my neighbors that used to be into cars thought it was cool looking and knew it was different but didn't know anything about it. That's pretty much the way I like things for the most part. Won't stop me from buying a super car but it'll probably still just be a Porsche that people don't bat an eye at in LA.

·
Registered
395 Posts
..double post..

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've only had the car a few days and this car gets a lot of attention. I've had a couple Evo's, an STi, and a MS3. This has gotten more attention in a few days than probably all of them combined. Here's a few instances:

- In NH at a rest stop, get out of car and 2 dudes come talk to me about it.
- On the highway, some random car drives past me 80+ mph then slams on his brakes with no one ahead of him till he's behind me, then slowly drives past me and gives a thumbs up. A guy in a Forester honked and gave a thumbs up.
- At another NH rest stop some stalker guy was walking around my car while i was walking back to it, didn't say anything to me or my GF - she was really weirded out by that.
- Guy at Advance Auto Parts tried to get me on video leaving after talking about it in the store a bit.
- Someone at Starbucks saw me get out of the car, came inside and started talking to me about it.
- Was getting some oil and a filter at the local ford dealer (not where i bought it) and two sales guys immediately came out and started talking to me about it as i parked.

All in less than 5 days of ownership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the blue is quite flashy...stopped 3 times in 3 days, once by a ST driver, once approached at a gas station, and one time in McDonalds parking lot...

jd

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
IMHO the RS isn't a head turner. If you're not a "car guy" then you won't even notice it.
This. It's no surprise that the new car on the block gets attention from car folks.. but 99.999% of the population don't even register your Focus in their minds.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I took my sister around to look at cars, and EVERY freaking dealership I showed up at, salesmen would either stare at it. And at one dealership the salesman actually STOPPED talking to the customer to start ASKING me about my car. lol.

I would walk back to the car and there inevitably be 2 or 3 sales people staring at it.

To a non-car person, its just an ugly Focus.

To car people? Its polarizing. Either they hate you for spending $40k on a ricer focus, or they are admiring it.

The kids though? The high school crowd? This is what happens to them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
So far Ive seen a hand full of EVO's and STi's turn the opposite way and follow me and give me a thumbs up. ST owners give me thumbs up...hell normal focus drivers turn their heads. And lets not forget the teenagers and 20 somethings who at red lights roll down the windows stick their heads out and stare. This past week in Richmond VA, I had 7 different people stop and ask if they could take a photo, and one guy almost wrecked his car he was staring so hard. I have noticed where I live the high end/exotic car owners dont care if they see the RS drive by, but they love to see the GT350 ride through.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts