Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side high beam on my 2018 is not working. How does the system work exactly? Does the same bulb serve as both low and high beam? Does the bulb move, or does a reflector move? I don't have a warranty, so this is on me. Parts are $350 and up, and you could spend over a grand on one side, so I'd like to approach this intelligently. The bulb does move side to side. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am by no means an expert but I've been told there is a shutter that clips the top of the pattern when in low beam. So single bulb, shutter moves up to let you have the high beams.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
No warranty on a 2018? My 2016 is covered for this kind of thing for another 7 months. Standard 'Ford New Vehicle Warranty', no extended warranty.

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
@ProfessorFate

This was the RR that was sold on eBay after being re-built. Vehicle had extensive front end damage and it would appear that this issue is part of the repair and not going to be covered by Ford. Curious if the headlights are OEM or some other set used to cutdown on the repair cost.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
Makes sense now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Check connections at the headlight, especially if you've had work done there before. The high beam is like how @monkey302 describes, there seems to be a solenoid that controls a mirror or shutter in the headlight.

I didn't see a separate fuse for the high beam actuators, so its not likely that.

edit: I'd start by tracing these wires 20181215_100723.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
The passenger side high beam on my 2018 is not working. How does the system work exactly? Does the same bulb serve as both low and high beam? Does the bulb move, or does a reflector move? I don't have a warranty, so this is on me. Parts are $350 and up, and you could spend over a grand on one side, so I'd like to approach this intelligently. The bulb does move side to side. Thanks.
Here are a couple of images of the projector. One of my headlights was destroyed in a deer collision, I saved the projector (not for sale). You can see the solenoid and swing up shield if you look closely. You won't easily gain access to the projector, everything seems glued securely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I swapped out the working passenger side light assembly from my ST, and still no high beam on that side. Light assembly from the RS works fine in the ST. It must be in the wiring. Driver side works fine, and there can't be a relay or fuse for each high beam, can there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts