Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
@Bushy86

Another option is get into the track riding on 2 wheels. More fun. But it’s having two expensive hobbies instead of one. Cheaper to run the bike though.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
@cornerexit Good point, and much easier to transport/store as well. But the wife would never let that fly!

FiSTs will be $10k at some point soon. There's already plenty of Miatas at all price points and decent 86s with low mileage can be had for $20k. There's also R32 GTS-t Type Ms for $15k and R32 GTRs for 25-30k!!!! :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
I can’t think of any reason that it is preferable to track a dedicated track car versus your DD, assuming that you either have back-up transportation or enough cash on hand to buy a new car in case you total your DD at the track. Sure, a light car like a BRZ or Miata will cost you less in consumables than an all-arounder like the RS, but that probably won’t offset the costs of insuring and storing a second car, let alone the cost of buying the track car in the first place. As long as you understand that the track will cause extra wear to your DD and maintain it accordingly, there shouldn’t be any harm from tracking it (especially a new car like the RS that is designed and warrantied for track use).

I have a Ranger 4x4 that is useful for living up in the mountains but that I wouldn’t want to commute in regularly. That is my backup in case I put the RS in a tire wall or have a blowout at 120 mph. The Ranger is fine sitting in the driveway, but I don’t have spare garage space and I wouldn’t want my DD or track car sitting outside all winter. 5-10 years from now I’ll get a bigger garage and build my own Caterham. Until then it makes sense for me to both DD and track my RS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I am 100% looking at the Grand Sport, but the C8 is coming out in late 2019. So, now I have to ask myself... should I wait. My GTR is terrible in the heat too. I would also take it in the pants trading in my GTR since I have only owned it for 8 months. That being said, if I go to a 18" tire I can make it up in scrubs vs brand new Hoosiers. I think this is all happening. It is just a matter of timing.

Gonna have to agree with you OP. As a single "do everything" car, the RS is phenomenal. There aren't very many cars that I can think of that can do school pick-up/drop-off, do a costco run and take to a canyon/HPDE/autoX all in the same car. With that said, you are right, just like anything that is multi-purpose, the RS is a huge compromise: it does everything "good but not great", including being a track day car.

Sounds like you are looking for a dedicated track car. The Corvette Grandsport is a great option. I've seen quite a few of them around the tracks I frequent and are pretty decent out of the box. Lots of Camaro 1LEs and GT350Rs as well. I myself will be doing the same when I am able to, but probably more of a "budget" track car like a 86/FRS/BRZ, Miata or EG Civic/Integra.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
MY GTR is my dedicated track car. The RS is a back up and my DD. I buy track insurance. So, if I wreck it... I am not out my money.

The long term plan is something that is ready for the track without much modification to the cooling. So, the Grand Sport and ZL1 1LE are on my short list.

I can’t think of any reason that it is preferable to track a dedicated track car versus your DD, assuming that you either have back-up transportation or enough cash on hand to buy a new car in case you total your DD at the track. Sure, a light car like a BRZ or Miata will cost you less in consumables than an all-arounder like the RS, but that probably won’t offset the costs of insuring and storing a second car, let alone the cost of buying the track car in the first place. As long as you understand that the track will cause extra wear to your DD and maintain it accordingly, there shouldn’t be any harm from tracking it (especially a new car like the RS that is designed and warrantied for track use).

I have a Ranger 4x4 that is useful for living up in the mountains but that I wouldn’t want to commute in regularly. That is my backup in case I put the RS in a tire wall or have a blowout at 120 mph. The Ranger is fine sitting in the driveway, but I don’t have spare garage space and I wouldn’t want my DD or track car sitting outside all winter. 5-10 years from now I’ll get a bigger garage and build my own Caterham. Until then it makes sense for me to both DD and track my RS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I agree. You slap a track mode button on a car... it should work on the track. Mind you, I am not your average HPDE driver, but still it should be able to withstand these issues more than 6 laps.

I would argue that a car with a "track" button should be able to be used on the track without extensive modifications. Sure, you can't expect it to do 24 hours of Le Mans, but an hour of lapping in 90+ degree temps? Shouldn't be a problem for this car, but others have had issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm going to track the RS this Thursday at Palmer Speedway. I have a lot of laps there too. Palmer has a lot of elevation change and some really tight high G force turns. I am hoping the car makes it 4-5 laps before it throws codes. It is only $150 so I don't have much to lose.

BTW - One of my bigger issues was getting back on track because it wouldn't allow me to go into track mode. It kept saying "Driving mode not available". I assume this is also due to the heat. I may get a garage this time and see if that helps. I will also pit after the codes go off and see if I can cool off for 5 minutes to see if I can squeeze out a couple more laps.

Any thoughts on what else I can do to help it get into track mode?

·
Registered
459 Posts
M2 Competition...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm going to track the RS this Thursday at Palmer Speedway. I have a lot of laps there too. Palmer has a lot of elevation change and some really tight high G force turns. I am hoping the car makes it 4-5 laps before it throws codes. It is only $150 so I don't have much to lose.

BTW - One of my bigger issues was getting back on track because it wouldn't allow me to go into track mode. It kept saying "Driving mode not available". I assume this is also due to the heat. I may get a garage this time and see if that helps. I will also pit after the codes go off and see if I can cool off for 5 minutes to see if I can squeeze out a couple more laps.

I had drive mode unavailable after a bit on the track, but I also had it off the track. It's to do with the exhaust flap. In winter it freezes, right now mine is seizing and make a squealing noise. There is a TSB for the drive modes though, so even though my flap isn't fixed yet I haven't had a drive mode error since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
And this is why when I am sitting there waiting for it.... I've revved the ever living **** out of it to blow that flap back... Shouldn't it only take a couple pop pops?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
^This. If you are adamant about keeping it "warranty friendly" and you are not having any issues, then I would just leave it as it is. I would just address things related to safety and maintenance: making sure you have enough thread on your tires, enough meat on your brake pads, maybe upgrading brake fluid to make sure it doesn't boil, and changing your oil more frequently. Maybe adding a catch can might be worth it, but only on the PCV side (I hardly get any on the crankcase side).

I frequent T-hill (I'll be at the west side 9/13 for SCCA Tracknight) and even on the hottest days (110F), I've never had the RDU shutoff or issues with the steering rack. I would watch my oil temps using the Cobb AP and just take cool down laps once I hit ~265F.
To be honest, you might just want to consider running it as is until you run into any issues and solve them one at a time. Also be careful with PTU cooling, I'm not up to date on the RDU/PTU coolers, but from what I recall the RDU infers temps from the PTU, so you could have an overheating RDU if you only cool the PTU because the car doesn't recognize that the RDU is hot. Either way just do some research before running off to make changes that might actually have a negative impact.

My main concern is steering rack based on the complaints here. I'm sure I could manage to turn it, but I'm scared to find out the first time I have a rack overheat and I lose power steering while HPD... it sounds terrifying and I'd like to do everything I can to address that without voiding warranties.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My main concern is steering rack based on the complaints here. I'm sure I could manage to turn it, but I'm scared to find out the first time I have a rack overheat and I lose power steering while HPD... it sounds terrifying and I'd like to do everything I can to address that without voiding warranties.
No, I wouldn't worry about it. I've never had it happen myself, but I've heard from others that when the power steering does over heat, it just gives you a message. It may feel "different" but it won't shut down on you or lead to anything dangerous on the track, just a "fail safe". Same way goes with the RDU shutting down, just the car temporarily trying to protect it self from permanent damage. Worst thing is you would get an error, drive back to the pits to cool down and lose the rest of your session ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts

Are you a member of Palmer??

Me and the wife are gonna be relocating to RI next year and I stumbled upon that track. Seems like a cool idea. I'm in the Midwest (Arkansas) and we are pretty limited on tracks.

Any opinion is much appreciated and have a great track day there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
No, I wouldn't worry about it. I've never had it happen myself, but I've heard from others that when the power steering does over heat, it just gives you a message. It may feel "different" but it won't shut down on you or lead to anything dangerous on the track, just a "fail safe". Same way goes with the RDU shutting down, just the car temporarily trying to protect it self from permanent damage. Worst thing is you would get an error, drive back to the pits to cool down and lose the rest of your session ;)
Yeah, I've had it happen more than once. When you're at speed, the steering gets a little heavier, but not much. Where you really feel it is when maneuvering slowly in the paddock, and if you're fully stopped, the wheel is nearly impossible to move. It's not scary, just annoying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I am not a member, but I've been there a lot. It's one hell of a track. We also have a couple other tracks close by. You could also look at Limerock and Thompson. Palmer is the best out of all of them for being unique, but each one is great.

Me and the wife are gonna be relocating to RI next year and I stumbled upon that track. Seems like a cool idea. I'm in the Midwest (Arkansas) and we are pretty limited on tracks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So, I heard that the Ferrari Challenge tires I got are crap. They are done after 30 laps an not meant for the RS. I have decided not to go to Palmer tomorrow... oh and I don't have much pad left either.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Unfortunately the RS is not an out of the box track car. I think many of the faults you have described as having have been decently well known since it's release. I don't think Ford ever advertised it as such either.

Cooling is the number one enemy on the track, and the RS just simply doesn't have enough of it to cope. This isn't even a RS only problem, as you've already pointed out. The RDU/PTU/Steering rack all could use additional cooling. Ford even recognized and addressed this in their Adrenaline Academy cars. I'm betting your lack of power was due to a thoroughly heat soaked intercooler. It would be interesting to see what your IATs were during the whole run.

I hope you find the car you are looking for.
First thing I noticed when I went too - they have an extra pipe out of the bottom for the steering rack, and an oil cooler right above the intercooler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

I am not a member of Palmer, but I have been going there since it opened in 2015. I have a lot of laps there and coach there too. It's a phenomenal track. They also run it both clockwise and counter clockwise. Hit me up when you get here. (774) 239-1346

41 - 58 of 58 Posts