Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to believe this rumor has no merit, but as I am considering locking an order in for NB on Monday I wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone else had heard this. While talking to my dealer today, confirming my appointment for Monday to place my order, he mentioned that another customer, (number 2 on the wait list) had said he had heard that due to the special application processes used for NB, there were no paint shops in US currently that could repair NB paintwork. Cars would have to be shipped back to Germany for body repairs!! Thoughts?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I find that VERY hard to believe, Germany isn't the only country dealing with multi step painting process, but like matching certain pearls, sure its not easy...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Get me the paint code and I will spray a pannel out like I did with the shadow black image.jpg

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
OnkelJoh posted on 9/11/15, the pictures below. Once I searched the "GCRE5ZA" number, I came up touch-up paint website, and it said "4C" also.
uploadfromtaptalk1441960122200.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1441960115483.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its not like the paint is made of unobtanium or the multi step paint process was invented by Ford. Honestly, the crap believe will believe......

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I recall on marketing thing where Ford stated that the plant in Germany where the RS is being made at was currently the only one of Ford's plant that can do this quad coat paint. But that being assembly plants, not body shops.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Fender bender.

"Of course we're going to have to do some blending to get the paint to match."

Final bill:

$1200 Replace RF fender

$9,870 Blend rest of car to new front fender

Hopefully this is just an imaginary scenario, but it's tough to put down a metallic paint so it lays the same (or even similar) to the original. Get it out in the sunlight and the panel looks visibly different. Darker colors seem easier, but NB ain't one.

Jim

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have to believe this rumor has no merit, but as I am considering locking an order in for NB on Monday I wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone else had heard this. While talking to my dealer today, confirming my appointment for Monday to place my order, he mentioned that another customer, (number 2 on the wait list) had said he had heard that due to the special application processes used for NB, there were no paint shops in US currently that could repair NB paintwork. Cars would have to be shipped back to Germany for body repairs!! Thoughts?
Kind of true. The paint rep for my shop just uploaded the latest mix formulas in my mixing bank. I still don't have the 2016 nitro-blue. But i will in the next 60 days. They upload the system 3-8 times a year. Sometimes there is a delay to get that formula translated to all paint manufactures. Bottom line is, the paint makers have to formulate for EVERY car color in the world. It takes time to cover them all. Then, car makers tend to change the formula at times in a production year and that has to be mapped. Tri-coat replication process took for ever to design a system that worked in the real world when it came to repair. Now this is a quad- coat. This is going to be ridiculous to match, much less to contain the blend repair to an area small as lets like black paint. If you don't know what a quad coat is, here we go. Your normal car is a two part system. Base ( the color) and the clear coat over it. In a Tri system (cadillac diamond white) the base (a off white or ivory) then the mid-coat (a pearl clear blend) then the top coat (the clear). If the base or the mid is not exactly right the repair looks like hell. That is not just mixing paint, its technic, or supply air pressure, or gun metering size, paint flash times or many many other things. Any of those things will effect the results. Now add Quad to that challenge. With that said my RS is NB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts