Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the write up on the wheels and brakes. Might your fluid boiling issue and maybe pad wear on the track be linked to the traction control applying the brakes to control wheels spin? or do you select it off on the track?

Ciao
I've been driving with Sport mode while I learn the car, so the assists are all engaged. If it's working hard it's been in the background - only a few times did I ask too much of the car jumping on the throttle out of a corner, and in those instances I felt it cutting/holding back power. I think there is a very real possibility that it IS working hard in the background and I could be engaging the brakes far more than I know. Next time out I owe it to myself to run without assists and see how much bad driving it's masking on my end. In all my forum readings I recall a post where someone remarked on the brake system pressure spikes they were seeing with some type of monitor during a track day, and that they were amazed at how active the brakes were beyond what we think of as normal braking. I'll see if I can find that again.

After speaking with the Endless US rep, I decided to move forward with the Ferodo DS1.11 pads. The Endless ME20 compound is not a typical offering in our RS size, so my options were either to buy it from someone abroad who has it in stock (will they have it in stock next time?), or to wait 3 weeks for a custom batch to be made, and then pay for them quite handsomely. Essex Parts Services carries the DS1.11s in stock in North Carolina. Both pads have very good testimonials over on Rennlist, the Porsche forum. There is a wealth of knowledge from the GT3 guys who run their cars frequently and to high speeds, plus they're all old dentists so they like writing up all their findings to share. Both the ME20 and DS1.11 had solid positive reviews over there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I swear by Motul RBF660 so try that. Have never boiled that and I’ve blue’d rotors with it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks Putt Putt, I'll look into it.

On the topic of brakes, I recently read on the forum that our factory calipers are $130/each. I didn't think this could possibly be the case, but... here it is.

Brembo calipers, specific to our cars and painted nitrous blue, are $130 each plus $50 core charge. Free shipping. Whaaaaaat?

My factory calipers have already started to discolor from heat, and are a little chipped from rocks, pad changes, and fluid contact. For $180/ea I am happy to keep these nice new ones on the shelf. For this money I have to wonder, where are all the Focus RS-based big brake kits?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Small brake and tire update. I've not heard from Mountune UK since 10/11, so I have no idea if they shipped me the street pads they promised. My car is off the road while I wait, and I'm tired of waiting. It also cost me $35 to ship the pads (more accurately, backing plates) back to the UK and I asked to be reimbursed, haven't heard anything. Will update with new information as it becomes available.

I started investigating how I can swap between a street pad and track pad using the same rotors. It appears to be a lot of hassle. There is a lot of hearsay and low-confidence information about which compounds can be mixed on the same rotor, 'scrubbing' the rotors with an almost bedding-like procedure to clean up the disc face before swapping the pads back and forth, re-bedding every time you swap to re-establish a friction surface on the rotor, all kinds of stuff. It seems like a lot of hassle, so I've decided to just use a dedicated set of pads and rotors for street and for track. If you're in there for the pads it's not much more effort to swap the rotors at the same time. I have had zero issues with the OE parts on the road, and the prices are good, so here's the plan going forward:

Street
Rotors: OE
Pads: OE
Wheels: Fifteen52 Podium 19x8.5 et45
Tires: 245/35 Michelin Sport 4S

Track
Rotors: DBA 4000-series
Pads: Ferodo DS1.11
Wheels: Konig Freeform 18x8.5 et43
Tires: 245/40 Hankook Ventus R-S4

Common
Fluid: TBD (Castrol SRF if I could find it)

Once all these pieces fall into place I'll sign up for a track day and see how it all performs.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts