Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got in some new wheels for the Focus the other day, so I tried them on our shop car. They are Rota KB-R, 19x9.5" +42. These are Hyper Black color.

The car is on Pedders coilovers with nearly-stock alignment settings, so minimal front or rear camber.

Tires are 265/30R19 Kumho Ecsta PS91.

I love the way they look. An unusual thing about them is the weight -- at 21.15 pounds, they are a pound LIGHTER than the 18x9.5" version of the same wheel.

Without more camber, the tire fitment is a bit tight, especially in the back:

The front may clear without any more camber.

So if you want to run a slightly narrower tire, and/or camber the wheels in just a smidge, these will work nicely, and they look fantastic. If you want to run the 265 tire without extra camber, be prepared to work your fenders a little bit to get the tire clearance.

--Dan
Mach V

·
Registered
29 Posts
New wheel rota kb-r

We got in some new wheels for the Focus the other day, so I tried them on our shop car. They are Rota KB-R, 19x9.5" +42. These are Hyper Black color.

The car is on Pedders coilovers with nearly-stock alignment settings, so minimal front or rear camber.

Tires are 265/30R19 Kumho Ecsta PS91.

I love the way they look. An unusual thing about them is the weight -- at 21.15 pounds, they are a pound LIGHTER than the 18x9.5" version of the same wheel.

Without more camber, the tire fitment is a bit tight, especially in the back:

The front may clear without any more camber.

So if you want to run a slightly narrower tire, and/or camber the wheels in just a smidge, these will work nicely, and they look fantastic. If you want to run the 265 tire without extra camber, be prepared to work your fenders a little bit to get the tire clearance.

--Dan
Mach V
How do they Feel? Any noticeable difference in ride quality or more importantly road holding capabilities?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Is your rear sitting lower than you front?

Love the wheels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rota doesn't have a great name in Oz but they look nice! Koya make some nice wheels too (semi forged and light)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Those look great! Did you have to run spacers in the front? If so, what size?

Also, is there any more wiggle room inboard (between the wheel/tire and the suspension?)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Looks really good!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Man, it looks like the Pedders let you stay closer to stock height than I would have expected. Have you measured the drop?

So you worked the fenders to fit the 265s?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
$300 for 21lb 19x9.5s? Wtf?

I dig the look and the size and the price and the weight. Heard less than stellar things about Rota (usually from wheel snobs), so what's the catch? Will they not hold up to track use?

Any other colors available? I have the OEM forged wheels and like that they look similar, but would like to change up the color probably.

·
Supporting Vendor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How do they Feel? Any noticeable difference in ride quality or more importantly road holding capabilities?
Feel? The tire height is the same as the stock tire. They don't feel any different. There's a good bit more grip from the wider rubber.

Do they make this in 19x8.5?
Not at this time.

Is your rear sitting lower than you front?
No.

Those look great! Did you have to run spacers in the front? If so, what size?
No.

Also, is there any more wiggle room inboard (between the wheel/tire and the suspension?)
Precious little in front. The tire is very tight to the coilover body.

Man, it looks like the Pedders let you stay closer to stock height than I would have expected. Have you measured the drop?
No.

So you worked the fenders to fit the 265s?
No. This was just a test-fit. If I wanted to keep them on I would probably work to get a little more camber before I went to town on the bodywork.

$300 for 21lb 19x9.5s? Wtf?

I dig the look and the size and the price and the weight. Heard less than stellar things about Rota (usually from wheel snobs), so what's the catch?
People seem very eager to look up some guy's internet post from 15 years ago showing a picture of a broken Rota wheel, and therefore conclude that the whole brand is junk. We have been selling Rota for more than a decade and have never had any problems. We have sold many hundreds of sets, mostly to Subaru owners, and they are as hard on wheels as anybody. The finish quality has gotten better and better over the years, to the point where I'd hold these wheels up against anything else in a similar price range.

Will they not hold up to track use?
I have run many Rota wheels on track without issue, but as with any wheel intended for the street, track use is not going to be covered under warranty.

Any other colors available?
Not at this time.

--Dan
Mach V

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I can vouch for several things...

Ran Rota on three Scoobs and one Mazda. Raced all three of the FHI vehicles...never once saw damage, on mine or the dozens of others running the Philippine rollers.

Mach V is a good shop...Dan is a stalwart in the Subaru, Evo, BMW world. It was worth the four hours of traffic to pick up my KB-R rims, just to smell the showroom. ;-)

The RS lowered via coilovers has that look. Even on my 18" wheels w/ KW V3s, the rear arch makes the car look non-raked. I'll take the handling performance over aesthetics any day.

·
Registered
510 Posts
People seem very eager to look up some guy's internet post from 15 years ago showing a picture of a broken Rota wheel, and therefore conclude that the whole brand is junk. We have been selling Rota for more than a decade and have never had any problems. We have sold many hundreds of sets, mostly to Subaru owners, and they are as hard on wheels as anybody. The finish quality has gotten better and better over the years, to the point where I'd hold these wheels up against anything else in a similar price range.

I have run many Rota wheels on track without issue, but as with any wheel intended for the street, track use is not going to be covered under warranty.

Not at this time.

--Dan
Mach V
Dan, thanks for the reply. I've got no dog in the fight, was more just curious about how the brand has progressed. That's really impressive weight for that size wheel, and they look primo on the car. It'll definitely be on the short list for me to consider next year.

I see the car is on Pedders coils. I've been struggling to find people running the setup, wanted to ask some questions. Have you been running them long enough to get an idea of the pros and cons about the coils? I'd love to ask a few questions, if so!

·
Supporting Vendor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see the car is on Pedders coils. I've been struggling to find people running the setup, wanted to ask some questions. Have you been running them long enough to get an idea of the pros and cons about the coils? I'd love to ask a few questions, if so!
Yes, and I've been meaning to make a whole separate post on that topic, so watch for that in the next day or so.

--Dan
Mach V

1 - 15 of 15 Posts