Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If everything goes as planned; I'll trade in my 2013 ST for a low mileage 2016 RS (Nitrous Blue of course!) this Tues (2/23/21). Pretty stoked as I've wanted one since they came out, but was unable to afford one then!

The car is very clean inside and out, has a clean CarFax, and appears bone stock with the exception of: One of the two previous owners installed a K & N CAI on the car. I've used plenty of K & N filters and kits on various cars, motorcycles, etc over the years, but I've got to admit this CAI has what I'd describe as "minimal" heat shielding at the filter to keep hot engine compartment air out. The Steeda CAI on my soon to be former ST has a much better engineered filter box that seals against the underside of the hood, and uses part of the stock intake system (routes up from the bottom of the radiator to the box surrounding the air filter.

What's the community take on the K & N unit?

I was looking at a Mishimoto CAI system at RalleySportDirect.com---they seem to be a much better enclosed CAI/filter. Anyone with experience with that system? Pros vs Cons?

I've been using an early FSWerks 93 octane tune in my ST (VERY pleased with it!), and though the RS requires premium fuel and has a more aggressive factory tune in it--I'd still like to upgrade for some more HP and torque (the RS will not be rallied, raced, etc) but remains eminently streetable. I'm not interested in data logging or other advanced features that Cobb and others offer with their tuners. Any experienced based recommendations for a streetable 93 octane tune would be very welcome! Pros vs Cons?

The tune would be combined with the CAI mentioned above and eventually a Borla cat back (bone stock motor internally; stock turbo and intercooler).

TY!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congrats on the RS purchase. Welcome to the club.

I'm curious why you aren't interested in data logging, though. The RS is the first car I've ever modified (I am not a gearhead so I have my mechanic install all the parts) so I was nervous about getting a tune. However, data logging is very easy and @Randy at Tunewerks is really easy to work with. I can't say anything about the OTS tunes because I never used them but, to me, the custom tune is well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Welcome to the herd!
’16 here. Cobb filter since new, no problem. K&N will serve you well, they’re almost an institution in filters.
Cobb OTS 93oct. stage 1, for 2 years, no problem. “IT IS ALIVE!” Like you I could care less about the data from the AP. When someone mentions tune...I think of AC/DC. However the forum has worn me down. People rave about the difference. It’s time for a pro tune. This spring I’m going to ask @Randy to dial my car in somewhere between Motley Crue and Joan Jett, we shall see....

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
115 Posts
There’s a lot of choices for CAI’s. All do mostly the same. Comes down to brand preference. I went with ETS due to there quality. Tuning I would suggest Adam B at tune plus. Probably the best at making sure you won’t blow up your engine. He takes pride on being conservative and not just cranking up the boost. I’m sure there will be some haters on here about him but overall I’m happy. Good luck and welcome to the fam.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My only curiosity is NOT wanting to datalog? That’s actively avoiding a useful and simple tool to gauge the health and performance of your motor ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Data logging vs not data logging is really just knowing everything is OK vs hoping everything is OK. The stock calibration is much lower output for this reason.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Data logging vs not data logging is really just knowing everything is OK vs hoping everything is OK. The stock calibration is much lower output for this reason.
You are also forgetting the many years of modding cars that many members have v. the members that don’t, so there’s an educational learning curve to this. You don’t know what you don’t know. Also some people just “mod” cars and other improve cars for application purposes, whatever that may be.

#forumbreakpoopthoughts tmi

16 Ford Focus RS Grey
Eibach Sways /Adamtuned Auxfuel Kit/ Cobb AdamTuned/ Dsc Sport Controller/ Radium PcV CC./ K+N air filter /Tema 4x4 30mm spacer/massive sway endlinks//Full Race IC// Tune Plus Turbosmart IWG/ E76/ NGK LTR7BHX (95605) 1-step colder Ruthenium Spark Plugs DynoJet 8-Run Avg (417.23wtq/399.26whp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the welome/s and gear/data logging input. Some things to think about. I'll take a look at the Cobb CAI; as well as examine the K & N CAI filter shielding more thoroughly once I have the car.

My thanks to GMPAJimJ for his concise and astute analogy and assessment! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I explained to my high school teachers, I have Epistemophobia (fear of knowledge) and should be exempt from further scholastic persecution. I’m afraid I’ve relapsed with the RS.
But..never say never
Appreciate the welome/s and gear/data logging input. Some things to think about. I'll take a look at the Cobb CAI; as well as examine the K & N CAI filter shielding more thoroughly once I have the car.

My thanks to GMPAJimJ for his concise and astute analogy and assessment! :cool:
You are welcome.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone using the K&N CAI. ETS, Cobb, Mish, cp-e, Depo. Def user a tuner who requires logs. It's the only way to get the most reliable/best result.
Also, head gasket done on that car???

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m using the K&N CAI (Part No. 69-3539TB) and think it’s brilliant! Works well - looks pretty. If you look closely, they utilise their own customised snorkel to direct cold air in to the filter section, which replaces the OEM snorkel unit. The dry filter itself is the best I’ve come across. They claim 30hp, but as with all CAI, that is endlessly debatable. I’ve had a fair amount of experience building cars prior to the RS, and K&N intakes are tried and true for quality.
I’m also tuned with DreamScience and their Ultima 3+ as a base tune, which has been further customised through data logging. Also brilliant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't heard of anyone using the K&N CAI. ETS, Cobb, Mish, cp-e, Depo. Def user a tuner who requires logs. It's the only way to get the most reliable/best result.
Also, head gasket done on that car???
Not sure............the car started throwing a "check engine" code on the drive home as well as some exhaust smell ,and noticeable drone preceding each upshift (who desn't like surprises?). I stopped at the local Advance Auto on getting back home, and had them hook up to the OBNDII..........................siad "bank 1 lean, or running lean and something about the cat not performing properly.

Did some research in the forum here; discovered the "head gasket" issue (who doesn't like surprises?). Got an appointment at my dealer at 1100hrs tomorrow; to get some diagnostics done (as well as an oil & filter change and to check the cabin filter). This AM I noticed some letters stamped into the top of the exhaust tips; looks like some brand of aftermarket exhaust (would explain the periodic drone) I'm not familiar with. If the previous owner played with the intake and exhaust---I gotta wonder if they didn't install some sort of tune as well. Which goes back to the point several of you have made about being able to monitor (datalog) if the mods/tune is doing what it advertised, or is not dialed in and working properly with the rest of your "system". Can you say; "AFR out of whack!"?

Goals:

Why is it throwing a code---Fix that
Eliminate source of cabin exhaust smell
Find out if head gasket is correct---may turn out to be a more interesting issue than desireable.

Noticed the brake pads dust as bad as the stock pads on my former ST did. Ordered a set of Hawk performance ceramics pads.

Noticed Ford RS wheels ARE NOT stock 19 x 8s, but rather 18 x 8s with Michelin snows that have maybe one more season on them (knew about the snows prior to purchase so I'm good with that as we've got plenty of snow left over right now). The wheels are the multi spoke design (silver) which I hate anyway, and was planning on replacing from the get go. Looking at a couple of different 19 x 8.5 wheels (45mm offset) with 245/35/19 Goodrich Comp 2 A/S Plus all seasons...........................stay tuned for further developments.

Car tracks straight, brakes well (except for that bleeping dust); has mucho more power and accel than the ST, all switches and gages, etc work fine, and is NOT black; like my former ST! Looks like SYNC needs an update as well as the Nav maps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Easy gasket check. Take the cover off, get your phone down in front of the driver side front of the head/block union to take e pix. The correct "C" gasket will have a protruding piece that has a brass like rivet in it on that corner. Other than that, it's the old Mustang gasket. Lots of documentation on the web and forum. Generally, loss of coolant and steam out the exhaust is the sign of failure. Let us know, good luck.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Welcome to hell. Dump the K&N crap and put the OEM setup back on it. Buy the Cobb AP, install one of their free maps and drive it for a while. When you need more you already have everything you need. Simple 30 minute bolt-ons will do nothing other than lighten your wallet. The power is in the tune. You'll see. Honestly, if you don't go this simple route you will never be happy with the car UNLESS you’re entertained with trinkets, not performance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure............the car started throwing a "check engine" code on the drive home as well as some exhaust smell ,and noticeable drone preceding each upshift (who desn't like surprises?). I stopped at the local Advance Auto on getting back home, and had them hook up to the OBNDII..........................siad "bank 1 lean, or running lean and something about the cat not performing properly.

Did some research in the forum here; discovered the "head gasket" issue (who doesn't like surprises?). Got an appointment at my dealer at 1100hrs tomorrow; to get some diagnostics done (as well as an oil & filter change and to check the cabin filter). This AM I noticed some letters stamped into the top of the exhaust tips; looks like some brand of aftermarket exhaust (would explain the periodic drone) I'm not familiar with. If the previous owner played with the intake and exhaust---I gotta wonder if they didn't install some sort of tune as well. Which goes back to the point several of you have made about being able to monitor (datalog) if the mods/tune is doing what it advertised, or is not dialed in and working properly with the rest of your "system". Can you say; "AFR out of whack!"?

Goals:

Why is it throwing a code---Fix that
Eliminate source of cabin exhaust smell
Find out if head gasket is correct---may turn out to be a more interesting issue than desireable.

Noticed the brake pads dust as bad as the stock pads on my former ST did. Ordered a set of Hawk performance ceramics pads.

Noticed Ford RS wheels ARE NOT stock 19 x 8s, but rather 18 x 8s with Michelin snows that have maybe one more season on them (knew about the snows prior to purchase so I'm good with that as we've got plenty of snow left over right now). The wheels are the multi spoke design (silver) which I hate anyway, and was planning on replacing from the get go. Looking at a couple of different 19 x 8.5 wheels (45mm offset) with 245/35/19 Goodrich Comp 2 A/S Plus all seasons...........................stay tuned for further developments.

Car tracks straight, brakes well (except for that bleeping dust); has mucho more power and accel than the ST, all switches and gages, etc work fine, and is NOT black; like my former ST! Looks like SYNC needs an update as well as the Nav maps.
I wouldn’t bring that to a dealer, bring it to a tuner!

It sounds like there’s several modifications that you just found, most likely high flow or catless dp based off the O2 code, exhaust smell and aftermarket catback. The previous owner would have reverted it back to the stock tune if they unmarried the access port. It sounds like you didn’t get a chance to look too much at the car, I would not be surprised if there are other mods too, BOV, WGA, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ssssoooooo........................the head gasket was replaced by a dealer up in Canada (it's a former Canadian car, if I didn't already mention that). My dealer checked it out today and said it looks fine; no sign of leakage or anything (gets my vote!). I had 3 codes coming out of the check engine light. One was because the after market exhaust doesn't have the valve thingy the stock exhaust does [meaning the CE dash light will always be on--masking other potential alerts later on :mad:], one related to the cat performing at suboptimal level (or something to that effect----seems like that might be related to the exhaust/valve issue, but maybe not), and the third was a lean AFR code.

The Service Guy said my ECU (or whatever Ford is calling it nowadays) parameters were stock; ssssssoooooo--------------no tune. I asked if it was possible the K & N and after market exhaust could be flowing too much air for the stock ECU parameters to adjust for? He said it "could be"; then floored me by suggesting it might be a good idea to get an after market tuner and install a tune so I could adjust the AFR across the rev range. :LOL: Never thought I'd hear a Dealer Minion say that! Guy must be a closet Gear Head! :LOL: The guy said they checked all the exhaust system fasteners for tightness, and couldn't find any "obvious" leaks. I asked how much of an exhaust it was? Axle back? Cat back? Or more? He says they really couldn't tell??!! As the kids say. Wheels That Fail! :LOL: I guess there's no substitute for being able to walk under the hoist with a flashlight yourself; at times! Jeez! I find it hard to believe they couldn't tell if the car had a stock Ford/RS cat on it or not (I'm right there with StoddRS on the dp suspicion---assuming they looked for it given the exhaust issues). Oh well.

Ssssssooooo------I was planning on a tune of some sort anyway, the current exhaust is too loud for my tastes, smells bad , and drones. I can hear the internet after market calling me faintly now! Wiley! Wiley! Wiley! :p

Got the oil/filter and cabin air filter changed too.

Anyone have experience with the Cobb Tuning Exhaust (the one with the exhaust valve like the stock RS exhaust has)? DOES IT DRONE? I am leaning towards a Borla cat back as I really liked the one on my ST for sound and NO DRONE. But, the Cobb gets good user reviews (no comments on drone though; that I saw), and being able to hook the valve thingy back up would get rid of that permanent check engine light (a definite plus in my book).

Anyone know of any good tuning shops in the mid lower peninsula MI area; that could handle fine tuning a base 93 octane tune to make sure the AFR is squared away across the rev range? Despite my earlier comments on data logging; I'm leaning towards a Cobb AP, or an SCT tuner/tune. Gotta check the FSWerks site too, as I really liked their 93 octane tune (came in a SCT unit)I had in my ST.

Pretty much settled on a set of 19 x 8.5 Sparco Podios (gloss black) with a set of 245/35/19 Goodrich Comp 2 A/S Plus all seasons to nix the tired 18" Michelin snows on the car now.

Don't wait up for me late kids! No telling when I'll get back from net after market shopping! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
If everything goes as planned; I'll trade in my 2013 ST for a low mileage 2016 RS (Nitrous Blue of course!) this Tues (2/23/21). Pretty stoked as I've wanted one since they came out, but was unable to afford one then!

The car is very clean inside and out, has a clean CarFax, and appears bone stock with the exception of: One of the two previous owners installed a K & N CAI on the car. I've used plenty of K & N filters and kits on various cars, motorcycles, etc over the years, but I've got to admit this CAI has what I'd describe as "minimal" heat shielding at the filter to keep hot engine compartment air out. The Steeda CAI on my soon to be former ST has a much better engineered filter box that seals against the underside of the hood, and uses part of the stock intake system (routes up from the bottom of the radiator to the box surrounding the air filter.

I was looking at a Mishimoto CAI system at RalleySportDirect.com---they seem to be a much better enclosed CAI/filter. Anyone with experience with that system? Pros vs Cons?

I've been using an early FSWerks 93 octane tune in my ST (VERY pleased with it!), and though the RS requires premium fuel and has a more aggressive factory tune in it--I'd still like to upgrade for some more HP and torque (the RS will not be rallied, raced, etc) but remains eminently streetable. I'm not interested in data logging or other advanced features that Cobb and others offer with their tuners. Any experienced based recommendations for a streetable 93 octane tune would be very welcome! Pros vs Cons?

The tune would be combined with the CAI mentioned above and eventually a Borla cat back (bone stock motor internally; stock turbo and intercooler).

TY!

TY!
I run one because I though it looked the best and it mounted into my mountune lower intake. Along with the Velossa take big ram air my car stays super cool even with the stock intercooler. I'd keep it. Sounds great too.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
@Wiley Marmot...Since you’re in Mi, more or less, here’s an address you might want to hold on to Incase the SHTF.
This mechanic is the RS Goddess, according to forum lore.
Jessica Livernois
Jack Dremmer Lincoln
21531 Michigan Ave.
Dearborn, Mi. 48124
(313) 274-8800

1 - 20 of 22 Posts