Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there is safe room for 10% increase according to insider from NASIOC forums. The tune is being provided from another company, and its stated that the extra power is for the front wheels, so no diverting it to the rear wheels.

"I overheard some discussions and it sounds like +10% output with an engine tune is pretty easy. The vehicle at the track also had a retuned exhaust which is a bit louder, and they updated the engine cal to spit extra fuel off-throttle so it burbles and pops." ~post 5706

"The numbers discussed had to do with a certain tuning company providing a cal to Ford to play with, so 10% is probably what's there to play with at a reliable level. We will not add any more output to the AWD system due to system limitations and pushing boundaries in the stock / OEM vehicle. Any power added goes to the front wheels." ~post 5709

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe the exhaust is new plan of record for OEM. Most everyone at Ford decided the last revision was too quiet.

Aftermarket doesn't get to touch the AWD system. They won't have any idea how to tune it and it also has safety functions attached to its operation courtesy of torque vectoring. No aftermarket company is going to know the specific safety criteria or how to test them. I certainly wouldn't want them to risk accidentally adjusting one of those thresholds thinking they are something else.

Quote:
Sooooo basically what, ~370-380ish cHP with a factory backed tune?

Something like that...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
is this a ploy by subie owners to troll us?

until the car comes out nobody knows. nobody has pushed this car to the limits yet except for the guy on nasioc
until I see data to back up the claims... they will remain claims and not facts
10% seems very possible, but where is this data?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was overheard by a member who does testing with the focus RS.
He is supposedly part of the team who is doing track testing with various cars

I'm not gonna tune my car, but the exhaust bit interests me

·
Registered
306 Posts
It seems there is safe room for 10% increase according to insider from NASIOC forums. The tune is being provided from another company, and its stated that the extra power is for the front wheels, so no diverting it to the rear wheels.

"I overheard some discussions and it sounds like +10% output with an engine tune is pretty easy. The vehicle at the track also had a retuned exhaust which is a bit louder, and they updated the engine cal to spit extra fuel off-throttle so it burbles and pops." ~post 5706

"The numbers discussed had to do with a certain tuning company providing a cal to Ford to play with, so 10% is probably what's there to play with at a reliable level. We will not add any more output to the AWD system due to system limitations and pushing boundaries in the stock / OEM vehicle. Any power added goes to the front wheels." ~post 5709

Maaahha a hahaaaaa too funny.

Another bad troll attempt from Subaru...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Link to this?

There was a guy on the Audi forums who claimed to be an engine calibrator at SVT (when it was still called that) and a bunch of people paid him to tune their cars. Granted his tunes were pretty good, but it came out that he was actually just an assembly worker at a Ford axle plant. The people who dug that info up are now trying to confirm if he actually just got tunes from a consulting company.

TL;DR moral: Don't always trust "insiders" on forums.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Link to this?

There was a guy on the Audi forums who claimed to be an engine calibrator at SVT (when it was still called that) and a bunch of people paid him to tune their cars. Granted his tunes were pretty good, but it came out that he was actually just an assembly worker at a Ford axle plant. The people who dug that info up are now trying to confirm if he actually just got tunes from a consulting company.

TL;DR moral: Don't always trust "insiders" on forums.
Go to RS Nation or the Subie forum.

Scooby921

http://www.fordrsnation.com/showpost.php?p=3001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Go to RS Nation or the Subie forum.

Scooby921

AWD Questions - Page 2

This guy Scooby921 actually seems to be pretty knowledgeable. There is a good thread on the NASIOC about the RS: 2016 Ford Focus RS - NASIOC It has 5,729 replies; every once in awhile they get off track,but there is some good info and Scooby921 is a prime contributor.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
225 Posts
It also seems like adding power to the engine will end up being ok.

We just won't be able to put power to the awd system past a certain limit.

Meaning the rest goes to the front.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
It also seems like adding power to the engine will end up being ok.

We just won't be able to put power to the awd system past a certain limit.

Meaning the rest goes to the front.

Memphis,

Just curious, how will any the additional power be applied to AWD. And if so, what determines/causes the limit you mention. It seems you would have to somehow be able to change the AWD torque vectoring algorithms.

In this case what came from NAISOC seems to more logical sense, that all addition Hp goes to the Front Wheels.

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
225 Posts
Memphis,

Just curious, how will any the additional power be applied to AWD. And if so, what determines/causes the limit you mention. It seems you would have to somehow be able to change the AWD torque vectoring algorithms.

In this case what came from NAISOC seems to more logical sense, that all addition Hp goes to the Front Wheels.

MidCow3
That's what I meant. Typed it out wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This guy Scooby921 actually seems to be pretty knowledgeable. There is a good thread on the NASIOC about the RS: 2016 Ford Focus RS - NASIOC It has 5,729 replies; every once in awhile they get off track,but there is some good info and Scooby921 is a prime contributor.
yeah is the guy that was doing the rear clutch pack testing. I'd listen to what he has to say.

·
Registered
42 Posts
*peeks into the room*

and whispers... "ShhShh... hey guys! look over here... "
w3rkn your being kinda thick if your not understanding what he is saying after reading that and coming off kinda snotty. No one person was involved in this process and once something was finalized its pretty well defined in expectations and it would be a waste of time to redo this process until something actually breaks.

Basically the system is from Ford going to be limited by the locking capability of the clutch packs. Once the after market is able to play around with it then we will probably see upgraded packs which will then need a software recalibration if you want to keep that 30/70 bias. And since this is not an electric car your not exceeding its capability 100% of the time. Only when at full throttle and only when you are over the TQ limit is the extra power going to the front. Mid Corner this car still shouldn't be under steering until applying throttle and exceeding the TQ limit but by that point you should be pointing straight coming out of the corner and will not have so much understeer and its weight bias is better than audi's so it shouldn't push the corner.

This is based on what he believes the system will do and what it seems like is logical based on a clutch system. The transfer unit isn't going to lock any more TQ it will slip the rest up front. So I am not worried on this systems reliability since it will actually never be exceeding design. When you apply a lot of power what this system seems it will do is start sending 70% to the rear until about 245 ft lbs and then start ramping towards the front any additional power in a linear format causing it to start to go into a 50/50 split at say 485 whp. The Taurus SHO did a similar thing but its rear diff was actually only able to take 150 ft lbs and then all remaining power moved up front. this caused some wheel hop up front when people got over 500.

·
Registered
418 Posts
w3rkn your being kinda thick if your not understanding what he is saying after reading that and coming off kinda snotty. No one person was involved in this process and once something was finalized its pretty well defined in expectations and it would be a waste of time to redo this process until something actually breaks.

Basically the system is from Ford going to be limited by the locking capability of the clutch packs. Once the after market is able to play around with it then we will probably see upgraded packs which will then need a software recalibration if you want to keep that 30/70 bias. And since this is not an electric car your not exceeding its capability 100% of the time. Only when at full throttle and only when you are over the TQ limit is the extra power going to the front. Mid Corner this car still shouldn't be under steering until applying throttle and exceeding the TQ limit but by that point you should be pointing straight coming out of the corner and will not have so much understeer and its weight bias is better than audi's so it shouldn't push the corner.

This is based on what he believes the system will do and what it seems like is logical based on a clutch system. The transfer unit isn't going to lock any more TQ it will slip the rest up front. So I am not worried on this systems reliability since it will actually never be exceeding design. When you apply a lot of power what this system seems it will do is start sending 70% to the rear until about 245 ft lbs and then start ramping towards the front any additional power in a linear format causing it to start to go into a 50/50 split at say 485 whp. The Taurus SHO did a similar thing but its rear diff was actually only able to take 150 ft lbs and then all remaining power moved up front. this caused some wheel hop up front when people got over 500.

If we dont have to worry about traction loss until 500whp, or more, then Im good!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
Pacoflyer
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing