Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to replace my two front tyres and looking for feedback from people who opted to change out the Michelin's and go with another brand I have been looking at the Continental Sport Contact 6, Any feedback good or bad??

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have never run the Conti SC6 but they get good reports. My SC2 are almost gone and had short listed these as well. Michelin PS4S, Goodyear eagle supersport or Asymetric 5. Goodyears availability of both these in Australia isnt all that good from investigations but should get better Always been a fan of the eagles and I think any of these tyres would be a good performer. A lot of reviews these days are always taken with a grain of salt but I like what http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk post. Not helping you decide but my thoughts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never run the Conti SC6 but they get good reports. My SC2 are almost gone and had short listed these as well. Michelin PS4S, Goodyear eagle supersport or Asymetric 5. Goodyears availability of both these in Australia isnt all that good from investigations but should get better Always been a fan of the eagles and I think any of these tyres would be a good performer. A lot of reviews these days are always taken with a grain of salt but I like what http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk post. Not helping you decide but my thoughts
From personal experience I don't want ever want Michelin's, I've lost 2 due to side wall popping with not side wall damage or kerbing etc

The Asymetric 5 has got some good reviews but I can't find anyone with stock

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just went from Pilot Super Sports to Nitto NT555 G2. Very noticeable difference here. They're not bad by any means but at low temperatures they tend to be a bit slippy compared to the PSS. It takes me getting them up a mountain road and properly warming them up to get the right performance.
First trip up it took me awhile to gain the confidence back in them. Obviously the time of the year has a lot to do with it too considering the days aren't getting above 55°F which is not very usual for Southern California.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if Nitto NT555 G2 are available here in Oz although cold temps are to much of an issue. I have to admit it's looking like Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport, the tyre looks like good compromise between a road/track tyre.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been using the pilot sport 4S no complaints so far. Less wear and tear compared to the cup 2.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just had to replace the fronts at 27 thousand (Pilot Super Sports - no track days or drags)
Had an issue with the wheel alignment and the front left was down to the wires on the inside shoulder (holy negative camber batman).
Both fronts were also missing small rubber chunks on the inside edges.
Tyres have been rotated every 5k and pressures kept at 42f and 40r (only did 8000 klms in the last 18 months)
Tyre place advised that these seem to come from factory with camber dialed in for better handling. Hitting a few bumps/potholes/kerbs can throw the camber further onto the edge (only repeating what I was told).
Wheel alignment done to a slightly more neutral stance. Hopefully will save future tyre wear.

Managed to source some ContiSportContact 5P for $275 each fitted (plus $79 for the wheel alignment).
Tyre was superceeded by the ContiSportContact 6, but on the street the 5P should only be a few percentage points down in performance.

Car was also serviced yesterday (45k) & brake fluid changed out.
Picked up a problem - turbo oil infeed banjo seems to be leaking. New line, washer ordered and to be fitted under warranty (I'm out of 3yr warranty but dealer wont be charging). When up on hoist will look at it with the tech to make sure its not coming from the HG repair.

·
Registered
105 Posts
@Cheech , mate it's not the banjo bolt or the line.
Its the timing cover , Im going through this 5hitfight with mine at the moment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have a read of this thread....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After 45k on the fronts I decided to go with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports. I've had Two Michelins Pilot pop the wall with plenty of tread left.

No 'Tram-lining', Quieter, better ride and I haven't noticed any loss in the handling either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts