Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Focus RS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been about 5 years or so of hearing of Ford sending the RS to the states. I finally pulled the trigger after a couple of months of really searching! Picked up an '18 RS Nitrous Blue. Everything about it was clean. Not the ideal amount of miles (~42k) but the powertrain warranty is still on it! 1 previous owner, the only problem is the smell on the inside (not overwhelming but really needs to be addressed). If anyone has any recommendations to remove the smell I'd love to hear your thoughts. Replaced the cabin filter and did an OdorX scent bomb which helped a little but I don't think it's permanent.

Also have been reading through a few threads about the skid tray but all seemed a little dated or sold out. I checked around and came across FSPE but wanted to know if anyone has ordered from them before.

Not really thinking about any mechanical upgrades as of right now until I get a real feel of what I would like to add. For now all hardware, especially a license plate holder for the front. Still looking for recommendations but I'm wanting to stay away from drilling any holes in the front bumper if necessary.

Excited to see all the IL RS's out there

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used ADF Customs for my skid plate. They seem to be the popular option, not familiar with the option you listed.

Welcome to the fam.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
At around $350, its roughly the same price as replacing the OEM fabric one. So assuming its not too thin, or easily warped/damaged, or so heavy that it strips the OEM thread bosses, its a good deal. However, its raw aluminum, so it will eventually oxidize. you could try scuffing/priming/painting it yourself as well. For $420 they'll powder coat it for you.

Once you hit the $420 mark though, I'm leaning much closer to the ADF plate for its much better construction. Its more money still, but with its more secure mounting method and better construction arguably the longer lasting piece.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Also, I'd seriously look into PPF for the front-end.

You can do XPEL Stealth for the black satin grill and it looks identical.

I have XPEL Ultimate on the full bumper/hood/fenders/mirrors.

Reactions: milk95

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Welcome!

The smell..... hmmmm, might your car been used to transport a dead body?

Other than interior detail to pull out stuff from the seats and carpet.

Front license plate mount without drilling:

+1 on PPF.

Enjoy your stay in the forum!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome!

Other than interior detail to pull out stuff form the seats and carpet.

+1 on PPF.

He is in Chicago so that is a possibility but we don’t talk about that stuff here.

·
Registered
2018 Focus RS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome!

Other than interior detail to pull out stuff from the seats and carpet.

+1 on PPF.

I wouldn't be surprised but I think the culprit is/was a dog/child in the back seat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome!! Congrats on 2018 NB RS.

Reactions: milk95

·
Registered
2018 Focus RS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At around $350, its roughly the same price as replacing the OEM fabric one. So assuming its not too thin, or easily warped/damaged, or so heavy that it strips the OEM thread bosses, its a good deal. However, its raw aluminum, so it will eventually oxidize. you could try scuffing/priming/painting it yourself as well. For $420 they'll powder coat it for you.

Once you hit the $420 mark though, I'm leaning much closer to the ADF plate for its much better construction. Its more money still, but with its more secure mounting method and better construction arguably the longer lasting piece.
That's probably what I'll be leaning towards. I've noticed on ADF's website they all show as sold out. Probably an email to inquire would be the best route. Parts manager quoted out an oem skid tray at just about $420 with everything since it's completely missing. Thinking ADF will be my best route, thank you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's probably what I'll be leaning towards. I've noticed on ADF's website they all show as sold out. Probably an email to inquire would be the best route. Parts manager quoted out an oem skid tray at just about $420 with everything since it's completely missing. Thinking ADF will be my best route, thank you!
Send them an email or Facebook message. When I ordered mine, blue were shown as sold out but they had one sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the RS fam! I would highly recommend ozoning your car that will kill any and all bacteria creating the smell. I once had a huge rat that crawled in the the engine bay of the car and died there. Worst garbage trash smell ever. Nothing not rid of the smell till we did the ozone treatment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m in the Naperville area so same winters as you and I went with ADF for the skid plate and it has held up well (3rd winter). You do have to use a rivnut gun for the upgraded mounting though, although it’s not terrible. For the front plate I went with Grimspeed and I think CoolTech is another option. I believe both use the tow hook so no drilling required. I would not drill into the front of the car. Welcome!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Congratulations on your new car. Where did you buy your RS?

Several of us in the area with the 2018 Ford Focus. I go to downtown Frankfort on Thursdays in the summer for their Cruise Nights. I don't think I had seen another RS there. Here is a video of a group of us that met in Lombard:
This is the last time I drove my car. Here is a video of my car:

Also there are several thread with Chicago area events.

·
Registered
2018 Focus RS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations on your new car. Where did you buy your RS?

Several of us in the area with the 2018 Ford Focus. I go to downtown Frankfort on Thursdays in the summer for their Cruise Nights. I don't think I had seen another RS there. Here is a video of a group of us that met in Lombard:
This is the last time I drove my car. Here is a video of my car:

Also there are several thread with Chicago area events.
Thanks for the warm welcome! During my search I stumbled by this one down in El Paso, IL. No images since it was newly listed! Immediately contacted to get some images and the following day went to check it out!

I’m always going to downtown Frankfort on thursdays to see all the cars with my old man! I’ll definitely keep an eye out for your car!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome! During my search I stumbled by this one down in El Paso, IL. No images since it was newly listed! Immediately contacted to get some images and the following day went to check it out!

I’m always going to downtown Frankfort on thursdays to see all the cars with my old man! I’ll definitely keep an eye out for your car!
When I go to Frankfort I either drive my Corvette or RS. The RS gets lots of attention there. Frankfort is the furthest from my home at about 45 minutes away. It’s also my favorite. When we go to this one the car gets lots of exercise. The drive home is awesome because my friends and I almost always take the long way home and find fun places to really open up the cars. Sometimes we have a large group go and that makes it fun also. There is a Chicago thread that comes up and you can see where the RS groups is going. I think there is a RS group on Facebook also but I am not on the Facebook so never know what they are up to.

Congratulations again with the new RS and I will be on the lookout for you at Frankfort.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts