1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just stumbled upon this while shopping for my prescribed LSD gear oil:

Ford Focus RS Motor Oil Change Kit - 2016-18 - 2.3L Ecoboost - Race Oil 5w50

Magic words: exceeds Ford WSS-M2C931-C

Ravenol also make the Racing Gear Oil that works with transverse synchro gearboxes and plated LSD, which is very rare as the gearbox synchros and diff plates share the same oil with quasi-opposite requirements, as well as a DGL 75w85 GL5 LS (Ford WSS-M2C942-A) for the RDU, a SLS 75w140 GL5 LS (Ford WSL-M2C192-A) for the PTU and an MTF-3 75w (Ford WSS-M2C200-D2) for the RS gearbox with standard or helical diffs, so they now offer a full complement of Ford-spec-compliant lubricants for our cars.

I use the Ravenol Racing Gear Oil with my carbon synchros and Drexler plated LSD ever since they were installed about 45,000km ago and both works smoothly and as intended to this day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for finding this.
I couldn't find many oil analysis for his oil (1). The website also doesn't go into much detail about what's in the oil. The analysis does mention a lot of zinc, so this might not be the best if you still have cats in your car. That's why it's probably listed as a "racing" oil. The calcium levels also seemed high.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
If it doesn’t list the API rating of SP it shouldn’t be in an Ecoboost engine, period.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for finding this.
I couldn't find many oil analysis for his oil (1). The website also doesn't go into much detail about what's in the oil. The analysis does mention a lot of zinc, so this might not be the best if you still have cats in your car. That's why it's probably listed as a "racing" oil. The calcium levels also seemed high.
If it doesn’t list the API rating of SP it shouldn’t be in an Ecoboost engine, period.
You guys really are something else. The oil meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C, an oil spec Ford developed for that engine, but you second-guess both Ford and the oil manufacturer with your self-proclaimed wisdom? 🙄🫣

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
You guys really are something else. The oil meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C, an oil spec Ford developed for that engine, but you second-guess both Ford and the oil manufacturer with your self-proclaimed wisdom? 🙄🫣
Yeah, you should spend more time researching motor oils for turbo direct injection engines. You could learn a lot that disputes Fords “spec”. This is th same oem that developed the 2.3 Ecoboost and installed the wrong head gasket on the engines. If you were really as smart as you think you are, you would know all about motor oil API specs and why they changed to help mitigate the LSPI that FORD did not. For now, you should do you and leave the more informed people to do theirs as well.

• Haha
Reactions: CPMaverick

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, you should spend more time researching motor oils for turbo direct injection engines. You could learn a lot that disputes Fords “spec”. This is th same oem that developed the 2.3 Ecoboost and installed the wrong head gasket on the engines. If you were really as smart as you think you are, you would know all about motor oil API specs and why they changed to help mitigate the LSPI that FORD did not. For now, you should do you and leave the more informed people to do theirs as well.
This is becoming pathetic. Ford led the research on LSPI in the US. They produced 100,000 EcoBoost engine per month in 2015 already. They hold patents on LSPI mitigation. You know nothing.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
This is becoming pathetic. Ford led the research on LSPI in the US. They produced 100,000 EcoBoost engine per month in 2015 already. They hold patents on LSPI mitigation. You know nothing.
Yeah, you’re right, or is it far left? Enjoy your “sense” of superiority. It will bring you down soon enough.

LSPI is caused by the physical properties of the direct injection that results in fuel droplets collecting at the perimeter of cc combining with calcium in motor oils, combined with the relatively high cylinder pressures to produce detonation. Small events generally result in piston ring-land destruction, where a single large event can collapse a rod into total engine destruction.

Calcium is/was successfully used as a cleaning agent for decades before direct injection came along. Ford tried to mitigate it with cc & piston top/ring-land design, but didn’t address the root cause because Ford didn't understand it. Ford also doesn’t do motor oils. Read the chemical makeup (in percentages) of API SN, SN+, & SP rated oils and compare to Ford Motorcraft spec oil. You will find the answer. Ford patents/copyright their t-shirt designs too…

·
Registered
724 Posts
axelr just put the info out there is all. Anyone is free to use it or not, and doing one's own research into a new oil for an expensive motor like ours prior to use is always a good idea. Choice is a good thinbg.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
axelr just put the info out there is all. Anyone is free to use it or not, and doing one's own research into a new oil for an expensive motor like ours prior to use is always a good idea. Choice is a good thinbg.
No, not just putting out info, it’s false “info”. People make their own choices unless they’re leftistards.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No, not just putting out info, it’s false “info”. People make their own choices unless they’re leftistards.
Yeah, oils meeting the Ford oil spec for Ford motors is “false info.” Also, Ford does not “understand” how combustion happens in Ford engines, right? And Ford patents related to LSPI mitigation is the same as t-shirt logos? Then why a German oil producer for a German-produced car should give a damn about the American Petroleum Institute when producing an oil meeting the manufacturer specification? Oh I forgot, the manufacturer does not understand what they are doing 🤡 Wow. Don’t reproduce, please. Your country’s average IQ is 98 already. Don’t make it worse.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
405 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Bless your heart spindle, oh, axle. You are a trusting soul. If you assume that a large company like Ford, or any other oem does everything right, you must have forgotten about the German oems like VW/Audi and other Euros like Volvo, etc.

Like I said bless your heart, I’m pretty sure you mean well, but have missed the actual data by ASSuming compliance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts