Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
It's on the bottom right hand side of the intercooler as you're looking at it.
I saw this too and I don't know why Ford put that on. would it be more efficient for the IC to have all the fins exposed than block by that.

Some owners already took those off.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I saw this too and I don't know why Ford put that on. would it be more efficient for the IC to have all the fins exposed than block by that.

Some owners already took those off.
Google will lead me to believe that early high humidity environments formed moisture thru phase transition . Ford covered there intercooler asses rather than suck in a spoonful of rod snapping water during compression .

This actually happened to early
ecoboosts 3.5.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Google will lead me to believe that early high humidity environments formed moisture thru phase transition . Ford covered there intercooler asses rather than suck in a spoonful of rod snapping water during compression .

This actually happened to early
ecoboosts 3.5.
Wow, really?!

To think the early Evo VIII had water sprayers.

So I guess I'll keep mine on.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

It's on there because when Ford developed the Mark 3 RS, the intercooler was simply deemed over efficient. Apparently they raided the Ford Transit bin for this piece and that's where it's from. Some have taken them off, because they don't like the look, however I've kept mine on since 2016 and have no plans to remove it. Also, my flywire covers this and it's black, so it's not as apparent, nor is anything else. It looks like your flywire is silver.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Might be the light, but it's definitely black. I'll be leaving my special plastic bit on for now.
It's on there because when Ford developed the Mark 3 RS, the intercooler was simply deemed over efficient. Apparently they raided the Ford Transit bin for this piece and that's where it's from. Some have taken them off, because they don't like the look, however I've kept mine on since 2016 and have no plans to remove it. Also, my flywire covers this and it's black, so it's not as apparent, nor is anything else. It looks like your flywire is silver.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello grumpy,just saw your post about large moth stuck in the inter cooler my last trip to Melbourne I ran into a flock of Crimson rosellas between Cowra & Young pulled up in Young for a coffee and noticed a couple pointing and laughing at the front of the RS , thought I better see what was so funny I had a full size rosella wings spread wide as a mascot ,poor bugger was dead probably fastest trip it ever had.
Mesh may not have kept him out,as for running in I would not be too worried modern synthetic oils are excellent and unless you are doing track days the factory 15000 change intervals or twelve monthly if you haven't reached the 15000.
I have owned my RS 15 months travelled 13000km had the oil changed at 12 months.
Great car love driving it .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello grumpy,just saw your post about large moth stuck in the inter cooler my last trip to Melbourne I ran into a flock of Crimson rosellas between Cowra & Young pulled up in Young for a coffee and noticed a couple pointing and laughing at the front of the RS , thought I better see what was so funny I had a full size rosella wings spread wide as a mascot ,poor bugger was dead probably fastest trip it ever had.
Mesh may not have kept him out,as for running in I would not be too worried modern synthetic oils are excellent and unless you are doing track days the factory 15000 change intervals or twelve monthly if you haven't reached the 15000.
I have owned my RS 15 months travelled 13000km had the oil changed at 12 months.
Great car love driving it .
Cheers
The mesh is long gone. It buckled a little and I didn't want to zip tie it or anything because it will need to go when I'm on the track. Probably doesn't make much difference but I'd want all the air flow I can get on track. Just got used to pulling things out with tweezers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Guys

looking to buy an rs le, let me know if anyone is interested in swapping too. I just baught the new gls premium triton ute. pm if anyone is keen

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
21 - 35 of 35 Posts