Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Second day in of owning my grumpy Smurf (name inspired by an OZRenaultSport forum member!). In fact a couple of OZRS forum members had encouraged me to buy one, so kudos to them for not being closed minded! I have to say what I've read on this forum is much like that one - you all seem to be polite and helpful.

Haven't done much with the car yet, just drove it home and around the suburb a bit, trying to ensure it's run in properly.

I sold my beloved and much missed RenaultSport Megane III on Friday, which was an awesome red, still have a red Clio IV RS, and The Enterprise (Citroen C4 Grand Picasso) for family duties.

Pretty keen to get this out on my favourite roads but think that some stone chip protection is worth putting on first given how complicated the paint looks! Pretty keen to get it on track too.

Keen to hear your opinions on what to not do when running in the car (I know not to baby it or stick it on the freeway). I'm wondering about the brakes - surely they need to be bedded in; I'm also not keen to red line it yet.

See below how blue my garage has become! Need to take some proper photos of it, but I'm pretty sure you all know what they look like

·
Registered
45 Posts
very nice!
I have the same. Just coming up 1 year and every time I drive it, it still feels special.
Im sure you'll enjoy it :)

Re running in, just don't over do it til 1500km IMO, but its hard not to press the fun pedal too much.
Might want to consider an oil change at 5k.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice!
I have the same. Just coming up 1 year and every time I drive it, it still feels special.
Im sure you'll enjoy it :)

Re running in, just don't over do it til 1500km IMO, but its hard not to press the fun pedal too much.
Might want to consider an oil change at 5k.
Yes I am a fan of over-servicing; can't believe they are ok with 15000km intervals. I mean, Subaru used to be taking the piss with their ridiculously short ones, but a performance car should be maximum 10000km IMHO, like RenaultSport models.
I'd like the dealer to do it, but I've not had much luck with dealers even being trusted to change the oil correctly.
What are people's opinion of Ford dealer services?

Anyone in the Illawarra have any mechanics of choice? Might do the oil change myself otherwise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agreed, my oil looked very secondhand at 5k so I changed it myself.
Cant help with dealers in NSW. I have one in mind local (Perth) for my 12 month warranty saving service but Im not looking forward to it and fully expect my car to be taken for a joyride .. :|

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations!! Great choice in car and color. I'm loving my 18" NB RS.

I was actually wondering this morning while driving the blue rocket when she needs her 1st oil change.... I'm at 3000km now. Was thinking maybe at 5 or 6k but not sure since I want to go to synthetic on the 1st change. Would it be too early? Does the factory use break in oil? Would she be broken in enough?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and Congratulations!! Great choice in car and color. I'm loving my 18" NB RS.

I was actually wondering this morning while driving the blue rocket when she needs her 1st oil change.... I'm at 3000km now. Was thinking maybe at 5 or 6k but not sure since I want to go to synthetic on the 1st change. Would it be too early? Does the factory use break in oil? Would she be broken in enough?
Thanks!
I agree with crpr17, it will already have synthetic.
Would you consider getting them to change the oil at the 'free' 3000km service? Kill two birds...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok some more questions:
Spare wheel?
Any options for covering the intercooler a bit more? There's a huge gap without any mesh, and the mesh is very large and I've already had a big moth in (haven't reached 100km yet!)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Any options for covering the intercooler a bit more? There's a huge gap without any mesh, and the mesh is very large and I've already had a big moth in (haven't reached 100km yet!)
I have a large section of metal insect screen tucked in front of the intercooler and radiator. I double folded the bottom of it and attached pinchweld right across the fold to act like an anchor to keep it in place, as the screen itself is rather light. It was a fairly delicate effort to get it through the opening above the centre bar and not scratch the paint surrounding it. Once in though, it's not going anywhere and has caught many a bug that can be hosed off or will just decompose rather quickly. You wouldn't even know it's there because the screen is a dark colour. A cheap and easy remedy......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a large section of metal insect screen tucked in front of the intercooler and radiator. I double folded the bottom of it and attached pinchweld right across the fold to act like an anchor to keep it in place, as the screen itself is rather light. It was a fairly delicate effort to get it through the opening above the centre bar and not scratch the paint surrounding it. Once in though, it's not going anywhere and has caught many a bug that can be hosed off or will just decompose rather quickly. You wouldn't even know it's there because the screen is a dark colour. A cheap and easy remedy......
Any photos?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Any photos?
I did take some photos a while back (deleted now) but the good thing is that you couldn't see it! Being black too, it just blends in so well with the car and the gloss black mesh catches the light and diffuses the background, so you don't even know it's there.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did take some photos a while back (deleted now) but the good thing is that you couldn't see it! Being black too, it just blends in so well with the car and the gloss black mesh catches the light and diffuses the background, so you don't even know it's there.....
Can you tell me more about the pinch weld? I have no idea what it is and what it does with respect to this mesh

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Nice one Nauli! :encouragement:

I got the pinch weld from Clark Rubber. Just took another look at it today and really had to look hard! It hasn't moved at all since it was put in place. Just need to make sure you can make it as wide as possible so that it's got nowhere to go.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the help!

I don't have the boot amplifier with the FENG but am looking at disconnecting the middle speaker.

I found the plastic thing on a bit of the intercooler but haven't removed it yet, as I'm worried about warranty.

Looking at doing the mesh today.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help!

I don't have the boot amplifier with the FENG but am looking at disconnecting the middle speaker.

I found the plastic thing on a bit of the intercooler but haven't removed it yet, as I'm worried about warranty.

Looking at doing the mesh today.
My car was delivered new with the plastic intercooler blocking piece missing so I wouldn't be too concerned about warranty.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You know she is already on synthetic...
Good to know. I thought they would have used regular oil for break in purposes.

@ Grumpy, there is a 'free' service at 3000Km?

Either way at 5000km I'll change the oil then every 5k afterwards. I'll also be sending samples away for analysis and depending on the results may extend the oil changes out further.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good to know. I thought they would have used regular oil for break in purposes.

@ Grumpy, there is a 'free' service at 3000Km?

Either way at 5000km I'll change the oil then every 5k afterwards. I'll also be sending samples away for analysis and depending on the results may extend the oil changes out further.
In Australia, but it's just a check over, so anything like an oil change will cost more but I'm thinking it's worth it, and it's off the road anyway. Problem is they may not end up doing it (I've had that happen in the past).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I've installed the metal flyscreen in time for a long trip (during which I'll be furiously changing gears and speed constantly on the freeway which will no doubt be annoying). I've left the black piece of plastic on but it looks really stupid now I've seen it.

Looking forward to the long trip. It's been nice to drive so far, just clicked over 300km so I'm looking forward to the 1000km and really giving it some.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts