Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be mostly DD but will take the car to the track a couple time a year. It looks like one is tube and fin (UK) vs. bar and plate (USA).

One has a larger core then the other

UK: L680mm x h230mm x d120mm = V=18,6 Liter
US: L640mm x h215mm x d122mm = V=16,7 Liter

Help me pick.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You won't notice a difference!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just FYI my US-spec 1st gen Mountune IC (the tube-n-fin one) expanded and split in several places. It was very light (about 17 lbs) but it expanded like a balloon - looked crazy. That was with basically stock engine and Mountune e-tunes. Mountune was good to deal with, acknowledged that some of those earlier ones did that, and agreed to send me the newer bar-and-plate one. Weighed 29lbs on my scale and was super beefy but I only had it on for a short time before I removed it and sold the car.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
^this
They are not the same
I’d stay away from a tube and fin design.
Mountune has gone to bar and plate due to failures.
Most all the others are bar and plate
Easy choice...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I'll get the bar and plate since it's more resistance to rocks even though it weighs more. Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
How difficult are the moutune intercoolers to install? Is any modification to the car necessary?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
The Mountune fitmemt is very nice as with all their products. Direct bolt on.

The mishimoto is the heaviest of all the IC’s out there...

·
Registered
43 Posts
So on the mountune UK website they call their tube and fin intercooler v2 in the description paragraph. Mountune USA doesn't label their parts as v1, v2, v3 etc like mountune UK does. But since mountune usa sells the updated bar and plate intercooler, does that mean it is technically a v3? (meaning the previous tube and fin USA intercooler was the same as the current UK v2 intercooler, and that the UK for whatever reason hasn't replaced the tube and fin model with the bar and plate model yet?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The UK V2 intercooler lets you use (included) air deflectors if you want to keep the stealth look. I don't think that the US one lets you keep air deflectors so you always see the end tanks. Those sharp corners and edges on the end tanks of the V2 can't be good for flow, especially compared to the US intercooler. I'd love to see some flow numbers and fluid dynamics analysis showing the turbulence in the UK V2 intercooler, but I doubt that many of us are pushing enough air for that to really matter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts