Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My name is Anthony, and I am an alcoholic, I mean a Fordoholic. :ROFLMAO:

Since I am heavily considering purchasing an RS, I figured I should make an account and introduce myself!

My love for this hatchback originally started back in 2014 when I bought my CPO 2013 ST with 12k miles on it. I only had it a couple of years before I sold it to get back into a Mustang, but it was only a few more years before my love for the Focus pulled me back in. With everything going electric in the near future, I figured I should secure one of the greatest hatchbacks of all time.. Check out my car owning history below:

1993 Prelude Si (sold)
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (totaled itself!)
1984 Mustang GT (sold)
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (~300whp, sold)
2013 Focus ST (sold to buy GT/CS)
2014 Mustang GT/CS (still have)
1970 Mustang Mach 1 (NEVER selling)
2000 Saturn LS (commuter car, sold to buy ST)
2016 Focus ST (still have, looking to upgrade)

Currently in the process of selling my condo and buying a house, but once my loan funds on the house I will be looking to purchase an RS!

I live in SoCal and already have my eye on a few RS's for sale, but preferably, I am looking for an Frozen White RS2 with a sunroof, but I am also open to Stealth Grey and mayybe Nitro Blue if the price is right. Trying to find one with as LOW of mileage as possible as I plan on keeping it until all the gasoline in this ****ty state dries up...

Anyways, I think that is more than a long enough introduction. I never even bothered to make an intro post on the FocusST forums lol Now I need to go do some research and find out if the RS shares some of the same problems with the ST, namely the crappy synchros and carbon buildup on the valves.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2018 NB, lots of aftermarket goodies.
14 Posts
Welcome! I'm super new myself and jumped in with both feet. My understanding is that it does share some issues with the ST, but they're not terminal.

Before buying a low-mile 2018 (under 15K miles), I test drove a couple of 2016s and a 2017, all with between 51 and 75K miles. While the mileage doesn't make for an apples-to-apples comparison, the improved suspension on the 2018s is a definite difference-maker if you're looking for a daily driver.

This just popped up out on the West Coast. It was too far away for me but....:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!
Your first sentence tells me, you’re a fit for the forum😆
You’re list of cars tells me, your mind will be blown by the RS.
I absolutely agree! I love my 2014 GT because I am first and foremost a Mustang guy. It has great straight line acceleration, and while it is no slouch in the corners with the suspension work I have done, I know the RS will blow everything I have driven out of the water!

Anyone in SoCal down to give me a test drive in their RS to really get me hooked???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! I'm super new myself and jumped in with both feet. My understanding is that it does share some issues with the ST, but they're not terminal.

Before buying a low-mile 2018 (under 15K miles), I test drove a couple of 2016s and a 2017, all with between 51 and 75K miles. While the mileage doesn't make for an apples-to-apples comparison, the improved suspension on the 2018s is a definite difference-maker if you're looking for a daily driver.

Oh man! 902 miles! That would be awesome, but unfortunately I can't buy anything before the sale on the house closes.. Hopefully it is still around in a month or so...

Also, excellent to know about the suspension differences between the pre 18's.. What was the difference between them, and if I end up with a 16 or 17, will a set of coils fix the problem?

·
Registered
2018 NB, lots of aftermarket goodies.
14 Posts
Oh man! 902 miles! That would be awesome, but unfortunately I can't buy anything before the sale on the house closes.. Hopefully it is still around in a month or so...

Also, excellent to know about the suspension differences between the pre 18's.. What was the difference between them, and if I end up with a 16 or 17, will a set of coils fix the problem?
The main complaint from reviewers about the 16 and 17s was the degree of ride stiffness compared to the competition, especially over less-than-ideal roads. People described it as feeling like being in a Civic with cut springs. I didn't get that sense during my test drives but it was definitely a more jarring ride than the 2018. Coilovers can help, but lots of 16-17 owners have done a 2018 suspension retrofit as a factory bolt-in solution. Part numbers are available in the forum and I think someone might have posted an install guide at some point (I'm on a couple of different RS forums so I might be wrong about the location.)

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts

Your search is over..

·
Super Moderator
8,341 Posts
The main complaint from reviewers about the 16 and 17s was the degree of ride stiffness compared to the competition, especially over less-than-ideal roads. People described it as feeling like being in a Civic with cut springs. I didn't get that sense during my test drives but it was definitely a more jarring ride than the 2018. Coilovers can help, but lots of 16-17 owners have done a 2018 suspension retrofit as a factory bolt-in solution. Part numbers are available in the forum and I think someone might have posted an install guide at some point (I'm on a couple of different RS forums so I might be wrong about the location.)

I have an MY 18, pretty happy with the DSC Controller mod and the ride is more civilized..... I kinda miss the road feel sometimes.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Honestly, the 2018's aren't exactly 'soft' either. I prefer the original damping over the revised 2018. Wish ford had put a real Magride system in the car, would have made its handling, next-next level while keeping comfort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, the 2018's aren't exactly 'soft' either. I prefer the original damping over the revised 2018. Wish ford had put a real Magride system in the car, would have made its handling, next-next level while keeping comfort.
How does the ride compare to a stock ST? Either way, I am not too concerned about it, I have had some pretty bumpy cars in the past. Between my 3 vehicles and close proximity to work, I don't rack up the miles like most people do.

Your search is over..
edit: forgot about the house thing. That’s pretty important!
But, 900 mi! Maybe a huge deposit?

That one in Washington is suuuper tempting, but would also be a ~1250 mile drive back home. Nothing against a road trip, just unsure of the timing of everything.. Too bad he wasn't closer and posted a month from now..

·
Premium Member
2017 Focus RS (Canada) / 2022 Hyundai Elantra N / 2009 VW Golf GTI
590 Posts
How does the ride compare to a stock ST? Either way, I am not too concerned about it, I have had some pretty bumpy cars in the past. Between my 3 vehicles and close proximity to work, I don't rack up the miles like most people do.
The ST has a more compliant ride.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
So your live is in the right place. I have a few cars and by few I mean to many by my wife’s standards. With your list of cars the rs is what you want for sure. I find myself always driving that when I wanna drive a fun car over all my others.
Your issues you mentioned Iwould say are overblown. I have over 500whp and have had zero issues with them but I don’t slam my shift with muscle.
As for carbon my wife has the 2.0 and at 100k I pulled the intake because I was scared of the same thing. Total waste of time. Some carbon yes but not what I was lead to believe.
Both those I would not worry about if I were you.
Ride quality was rough on my 16 till I did the eibach springs now it’s pretty good.
Only thing I think you will absolutely will have to get if you by one is a drivers license that says anything but CA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So your live is in the right place. I have a few cars and by few I mean to many by my wife’s standards. With your list of cars the rs is what you want for sure. I find myself always driving that when I wanna drive a fun car over all my others.
Your issues you mentioned Iwould say are overblown. I have over 500whp and have had zero issues with them but I don’t slam my shift with muscle.
As for carbon my wife has the 2.0 and at 100k I pulled the intake because I was scared of the same thing. Total waste of time. Some carbon yes but not what I was lead to believe.
Both those I would not worry about if I were you.
Ride quality was rough on my 16 till I did the eibach springs now it’s pretty good.
Only thing I think you will absolutely will have to get if you by one is a drivers license that says anything but CA.

I guess I haven't had the same luck with carbon deposits as you.. On my 2013 ST I pulled the intake manifold off at around 30k to install a direct port meth injection system and while it was off I ran my scope down to look at the valves.. They looked pretty coked to me, and that was with only 30k miles, see some of the pics below. My current 16 ST with 43k has started to have some misfires and I would bet my valves are also coked and causing my missing.

Either way, I plan on getting a walnut blaster once I move into the new house, that way I will be able to keep my valves nice and shiny!

As far as the transmission, from my limited research this morning, it sounds like the RS got an improved version from the ST and has far fewer problems. I also don't power shift, and actually drive like a grandma a lot of the times, but every so often she doesn't want to go into first gear in the morning.. Ford did upgrade the synchros in 2015 or 16 I believe and it was the earlier cars that had more of the problems.

Sanitary sewer Circle Tunnel Close-up Pipe

Liquid Fluid Electric blue Circle Close-up

Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yep at 100k my wife’s was not even close to that much carbon.
Now a walnut is the way to go. Here is an idea.
I put a put breather oil cap on day one on her 2.0 and my 2.3 rs. My thought was the oil that builds up comes for my he pcv that is driven by crank pressure. Since crank pressure has avenues to the valve train. My thought was reduce crank pressure with that simple mod the less pressure pushing oil through pcv. Does it work or help? In theory it should. If I had to use internet logic I’d say it for sure does as my wife’s had very little almost none after that many miles. Side note she runs an e30 tune and has maxed out her stock turbo so it’s not from lack of boost.
Maybe just luck maybe it worked wish I had more than one to compare. My ra has meth so I never have carbon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Easy solution if you're worried about the carbon, is to fit a catch can on the PCV side.
Not really worried, just trying to educate myself on any potential issues the RS has, and if any were shared between the ST. I will most definitely be adding a catch can once I get an RS. Digging that picture up reminded me that I still have my old Auqamist system that never sold from my first ST. I could install that and really keep the build up in check!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Not really worried, just trying to educate myself on any potential issues the RS has, and if any were shared between the ST. I will most definitely be adding a catch can once I get an RS. Digging that picture up reminded me that I still have my old Auqamist system that never sold from my first ST. I could install that and really keep the build up in check!
And add some safe ponies while at it.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Hey everyone! My name is Anthony, and I am an alcoholic, I mean a Fordoholic. :ROFLMAO:

Since I am heavily considering purchasing an RS, I figured I should make an account and introduce myself!

My love for this hatchback originally started back in 2014 when I bought my CPO 2013 ST with 12k miles on it. I only had it a couple of years before I sold it to get back into a Mustang, but it was only a few more years before my love for the Focus pulled me back in. With everything going electric in the near future, I figured I should secure one of the greatest hatchbacks of all time.. Check out my car owning history below:

1993 Prelude Si (sold)
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (totaled itself!)
1984 Mustang GT (sold)
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (~300whp, sold)
2013 Focus ST (sold to buy GT/CS)
2014 Mustang GT/CS (still have)
1970 Mustang Mach 1 (NEVER selling)
2000 Saturn LS (commuter car, sold to buy ST)
2016 Focus ST (still have, looking to upgrade)

Currently in the process of selling my condo and buying a house, but once my loan funds on the house I will be looking to purchase an RS!

I live in SoCal and already have my eye on a few RS's for sale, but preferably, I am looking for an Frozen White RS2 with a sunroof, but I am also open to Stealth Grey and mayybe Nitro Blue if the price is right. Trying to find one with as LOW of mileage as possible as I plan on keeping it until all the gasoline in this ****ty state dries up...

Anyways, I think that is more than a long enough introduction. I never even bothered to make an intro post on the FocusST forums lol Now I need to go do some research and find out if the RS shares some of the same problems with the ST, namely the crappy synchros and carbon buildup on the valves.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!
A ‘70 Mach 1 was my first car. Wish I could say I never sold it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts