Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm sure we will start seeing that AWD system on a lot of Ford vehicles to make all that development cost effective. I just wish that Lincoln had suicide doors.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I can't wait until Ford can borrow things from Lincoln instead of the other way around. VW has audi and Porsche to mooch off of and here Lincoln is taking Ford tech lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
I like it! Also, this is why we can have a "cheap"ish RS because the tech and research costs are used across platforms. Yea for economies of scale!

·
Registered
555 Posts
The car looks like a cross between a Bentley and Chrysler in the front. Doesn't look Lincoln.

As far as the same RDU being the same, concept maybe but with the weight and size of car think it would be a larger unit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can't wait until Ford can borrow things from Lincoln instead of the other way around. VW has audi and Porsche to mooch off of and here Lincoln is taking Ford tech lol
Well yes and no. You can see stuff like the adjustable suspension dampers from Lincoln going into the RS and Expedition Platinum, but Lincoln has to have exclusive tech to distinguish it from it's Ford brother-an to save the brand. If it doesn't, it will never lose the idea of being "a more expensive Ford." At the same time, all of the engineering done on Lincolns is done by the same engineers that do Fords, there is no distinction in product development, and I think that's part of the problem. The Lincoln design studio is now it's own separated branch of product development from the Ford Studios, but engineering needs to follow suite.

·
Registered
688 Posts
400HP and AWD can also exist on the RS. The claim right now for the RS (accepted or not) is that at some limit, no additional power will be sent to the rear. Could very well be the case for the MKZ.

·
Registered
54 Posts
400HP and AWD can also exist on the RS. The claim right now for the RS (accepted or not) is that at some limit, no additional power will be sent to the rear. Could very well be the case for the MKZ.
I know most people are manual purists, but no ones mentioning that its also an AUTOMATIC! Which is awesome for those who are manually challenged. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to rig a similar transmission to the 2.3 and AWD system.

I really think the 2nd or 3rd batch of RS's will have some type of dual clutch/dsg style transmission. Ford is one of the few companies that hasn't came out with a really decent quick shifting auto ala the evo x. VW has DSG in their hot hatch, I think ford should come out with some really high performing, industry leading twin clutch transmission, and it would literally put it over the top on the hot hatch pyramid.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I know most people are manual purists, but no ones mentioning that its also an AUTOMATIC! Which is awesome for those who are manually challenged. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to rig a similar transmission to the 2.3 and AWD system.

I really think the 2nd or 3rd batch of RS's will have some type of dual clutch/dsg style transmission. Ford is one of the few companies that hasn't came out with a really decent quick shifting auto ala the evo x. VW has DSG in their hot hatch, I think ford should come out with some really high performing, industry leading twin clutch transmission, and it would literally put it over the top on the hot hatch pyramid.
Wouldn't surprise me since we've seen mention of that as a feature of a faster spec RS.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Lincoln and manual are not exactly two things that go together, very rarely do they have a 3 pedal set up. I bet you that the challenge is far harder then you think as they are different platforms, the MKZ is built of the Fusion.

As the theory for DCT's and Ford. Ford already attempted a DCT for the Focus and it caused a lot of problems, basically it couldn't work the clutch properly. The issue with the DCT is that they used a dry set up, I have no idea why most likely due to cost but dry set ups always chatter. They should of instead opted for a wet clutch set up which can more easily handle slip and heat, think FoRS RDU. Here comes the other problem and really it's with American manufacturers, they make the bulk of their money in trucks. The last decade or so is when American companies started focusing on cars and realizing their potential, still no where near what trucks bring in. Put those two things together and you can see why they are not in a rush but I'm certain it will happen with in a few years, and maybe before in special models. The other thing to consider is that a DCT is not something seen as a plus to hardcore enthusiasts, something the RS is intended for. Journalists always write about saving the manuals, so in Fords eye on a vehicle like this, intended for drivers who love drivers cars, they have no reason to offer an automated manual, it actually gives the RS more credit for not.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The engineer from GKN did say that the system has extra capacity for torque. Hopefully the clutch packs are the same in the MKZ, translating to a pretty solid target torque for us RS guys.

I wonder if this MKZ RDU will have to be serviced every 100k like the RS one is rumored to. Maybe they've got a more robust setup in the works, and are using the RS drivetrain to beta test for the MKZ.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me since we've seen mention of that as a feature of a faster spec RS.
The only problem I have with this is weight, figure about a 60lb penalty for a DCT. It will surely cut times down, but the rumors do not point to more power but weight savings. Companies take grams out of things to make them lighter, a DCT is a 2% weight penalty and it would really offset the work done to make the RS lighter. This is a theory, but in my mind if your focusing on weight, you don't really add a significant amount unless your adding power. The media would always word it as, the 0-60 time was cut by .5 due to the DCT, to offset the weight of the DCT Ford did this, instead of, Ford went to great lengths to cut every gram out of the RS, making it a true hardcore track machine, 0-60 dropped by .2 due to weight savings.

In my mind it just wouldn't make sense unless they added more power as well, and nothing has been said about power, just removing weight.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The engineer from GKN did say that the system has extra capacity for torque. Hopefully the clutch packs are the same in the MKZ, translating to a pretty solid target torque for us RS guys.

I wonder if this MKZ RDU will have to be serviced every 100k like the RS one is rumored to. Maybe they've got a more robust setup in the works, and are using the RS drivetrain to beta test for the MKZ.
Ford stated that the RS was the test bed for the performance AWD system to make it into other models. I'm still mixed on the limitations of the RS in terms of TQ capacity. The way it has been explained to me is that the software is the limitation and it is built in to only transfer X amount of TQ. This is a safety net to meet the reliability requirements. I'm sure there are weak points in the hardware, but when I asked it seemed like it was minor things like the driveshaft and the RDU can handle more.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

The mustang has an auto....it's nothing new to have an auto 2.3. But it would have to be a different trans to mount up to the latitudinal engine setup in the RS.

Also, other companies are actually starting to move away from DCTs. For example, the new S4 will only come with an 8 speed ZF trans, the RS6/7 already has an 8 speed ZF, the C7 vette has a TC auto. Reason is that a TC auto can handle more torque and their shift times are right there with a DCT.

I'll be curious to see lap times of the MKZ vs RS next year. I think they're going to be pretty damn close if the MKZ has a decent suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'll be curious to see lap times of the MKZ vs RS next year. I think they're going to be pretty damn close if the MKZ has a decent suspension.
I doubt the suspension will be close to the RS considering the target market.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I doubt the suspension will be close to the RS considering the target market.
That's the point of adjustable suspension...comfort, sport, track, etc.

I assume this car is supposed to compete with the S4, 335, CTSv - all of which come with adjustable suspension option.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That's the point of adjustable suspension...comfort, sport, track, etc.

I assume this car is supposed to compete with the S4, 335, CTSv - all of which come with adjustable suspension option.

I guess I'm just assuming that it's not going to have the insane mode that the RS has. Everything they've said so far is that the sport setting on suspension is break your spine level of stiffness.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
23 Participants
KenEusaukmeov
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing