Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, Of course i am new here. I can't wait for the RS to come. I know ford has named it a drivers car. Makes me wonder how easy it will be to mod. I have moded every car i have ever owned. From first to current. Started out in a 75 corolla, than a few other junkers till i was rich enough to by my own cars. First one bought on my own was a 91 Z-24 that i put N2o on and ran a 13.2, than 92 talon running 12.6, 92 blown mustang gt in the 11's, 98 supra in the 8's (Bought a house when that got sold) 99 civic si turbocharged with 357whp never ran it though...than the cars got a lot slower cause i had oh a few kids....like 5 lol. So i got into bikes. R1 and now 14 V-rod that i am putting a trask turbo kit on at 8 psi. Then we went back to Chevy with a trailblazer ss, cobalt ss and now a Cruze turbo...has to be the slowest car i have owned but i took it from a 17.1 to 14.4 and can hang with some of the stock ST guys with a 1.4L. But i am jumping ship again...with all my research the Rs is going to be kick ass. The pricing was still a mystery to me. I have read any where from 31k to 37k. But like i said i love to mod and tinker but working as a tech for 20 plus years now i have noticed more and more that the cars are getting harder to mod and seem to be coming out real strong from the dealer alone...especially Ford. Really can't stand anything from chevy anymore. So without seeing the car yet i wonder how easy it will be to lower, change out exhaust, down pipe, intake, meth injection and than even deeper...cams, turbo, pistons ect. Or will it be so good out of the box all i will want is a tune for a few more psi. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi people, Of course i am new here. I can't wait for the RS to come. I know ford has named it a drivers car. Makes me wonder how easy it will be to mod. I have moded every car i have ever owned. From first to current. Started out in a 75 corolla, than a few other junkers till i was rich enough to by my own cars. First one bought on my own was a 91 Z-24 that i put N2o on and ran a 13.2, than 92 talon running 12.6, 92 blown mustang gt in the 11's, 98 supra in the 8's (Bought a house when that got sold) 99 civic si turbocharged with 357whp never ran it though...than the cars got a lot slower cause i had oh a few kids....like 5 lol. So i got into bikes. R1 and now 14 V-rod that i am putting a trask turbo kit on at 8 psi. Then we went back to Chevy with a trailblazer ss, cobalt ss and now a Cruze turbo...has to be the slowest car i have owned but i took it from a 17.1 to 14.4 and can hang with some of the stock ST guys with a 1.4L. But i am jumping ship again...with all my research the Rs is going to be kick ass. The pricing was still a mystery to me. I have read any where from 31k to 37k. But like i said i love to mod and tinker but working as a tech for 20 plus years now i have noticed more and more that the cars are getting harder to mod and seem to be coming out real strong from the dealer alone...especially Ford. Really can't stand anything from chevy anymore. So without seeing the car yet i wonder how easy it will be to lower, change out exhaust, down pipe, intake, meth injection and than even deeper...cams, turbo, pistons ect. Or will it be so good out of the box all i will want is a tune for a few more psi. What are your thoughts?
Modding this car will be significantly easy. Mountune has been developing and upgrading ecoboost motors for along time and they have been working closely with ford for years and will be getting an RS for themselves very soon. They are even developing high HP mods for the ecoboost mustang. All of this is under Fords covered warranty-has been for years and will continue.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Wow five kids! I have two little girls and if I had another kid I would name them financial burden number three

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sure does... See I learned something. But it also shows how little I know about this platform. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow five kids! I have two little girls and if I had another kid I would name them financial burden number three
Yes for a short time I could not afford cable... So I found something else to do.... Lol

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if the RS will be compatible with e85

·
Registered
42 Posts
Modding this car will be significantly easy. Mountune has been developing and upgrading ecoboost motors for along time and they have been working closely with ford for years and will be getting an RS for themselves very soon. They are even developing high HP mods for the ecoboost mustang. All of this is under Fords covered warranty-has been for years and will continue.

Hope this helps
The guy at nasioc who is working to test the new drive train has indicated that ford has the power cranked to 100% capacity on the new awd system. He stated that adding any more power to the car would seriously decreasing the life span of these components. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The guy at nasioc who is working to test the new drive train has indicated that ford has the power cranked to 100% capacity on the new awd system. He stated that adding any more power to the car would seriously decreasing the life span of these components. Take that for what it's worth.
We are still unsure on the specific parts, but from the same source I have heard the parts at capacity may be easily upgradable and it has nothing to with the RDU. So I'm thinking drivrshafts or halfshafts possibly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The guy at nasioc who is working to test the new drive train has indicated that ford has the power cranked to 100% capacity on the new awd system.
Nothing on a stock production vehicle is ever at 100% capacity, much less an RS. Manufacturers have warranties to honor, and they do not want to sell a product that's going to generate countless warranty claims. If anything, I my guess is the RS will be way overbuilt because Ford is advertising the it as a driver's car with it hooning around in every video I've seen; they have to know people are going to beat the snot out of them, and they certainly don't want to be fixing broken drivetrain components on their dime every time someone decides to give drift mode a try.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Most people stop at stage 2 power levels so I'm thinking the RDU is really a non issue being the RS is close to a stage 2 STi ( on paper anyway ) and fords developing this as a track toy. So I think one would have to use the car hard consistently even lightly modded to push the " issue " with the RDU. I do hope the drivetrain is as bullet proof as the STi's. It would be nice to have a hot hatch that you don't have to worry about in the back of your mind breaking on you. Think about this. STi bullet proof awd, 4g63 reliability and ability to take 500whp and evo X tellapathic handling. So far this is what the RS is. It would be nice to not have to dump money into your car on rebuilding the motor or tranny or T-case pissing money away. This thing will be worth every penny if your not spending money rebuilding **** all the time. Hell I have 121,510 miles on my STi and on my third motor. It would be nice to spend 35-40 grand for your car and ONLY spend money on mods and maintaining it.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Nothing on a stock production vehicle is ever at 100% capacity, much less an RS. Manufacturers have warranties to honor, and they do not want to sell a product that's going to generate countless warranty claims. If anything, I my guess is the RS will be way overbuilt because Ford is advertising the it as a driver's car with it hooning around in every video I've seen; they have to know people are going to beat the snot out of them, and they certainly don't want to be fixing broken drivetrain components on their dime every time someone decides to give drift mode a try.
Well said

·
Registered
32 Posts
It looks to me that you are purely interested in Drag Racing. If so, the RS is not that kind of car, it is made to tackle curvature ass out...

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
If this vehicle was e85 compliant I figure that would further affect the mileage and range for this vehicle.

I'm curious if Ford has done something with the small fuel tank.

A larger tank would offset any drop in gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I'm curious if Ford has done something with the small fuel tank.

A larger tank would offset any drop in gas mileage.
Why would they change that, the more you have to stop for gas the more people can admire the car and want one of their own. Its the Ford mobile billboard had the pump advertising program, you didn't know about it? :D

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks to me that you are purely interested in Drag Racing. If so, the RS is not that kind of car, it is made to tackle curvature ass out...
No no just the opposite... I want a super track handling car. I have done my fair share of drag racing and it's always nice to take what ever car I have to the strip just to see what I can put down but I have always won my races on the back roads with a much lower powered car. The RS has all the power, goes straight and sideways lol I want....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nothing on a stock production vehicle is ever at 100% capacity, much less an RS. Manufacturers have warranties to honor, and they do not want to sell a product that's going to generate countless warranty claims. If anything, I my guess is the RS will be way overbuilt because Ford is advertising the it as a driver's car with it hooning around in every video I've seen; they have to know people are going to beat the snot out of them, and they certainly don't want to be fixing broken drive-train components on their dime every time someone decides to give drift mode a try.
I found the statement tough to swallow too but I'm simply reporting it as it was stated. Personally for me the RS seems more than enough car and if I get one I don't believe modification will be necessary for my purpose(certainty not like it was for my wrx) but I think with what has been said anyone looking at the RS from a modification standpoint needs to consider this information, which is why I posted it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read the thread over on Nasioc. Maybe that guy is legit...at least sounded legit. However, I have listened to a handful of podcasts and read a bunch of interviews of credible tuners, journalists, ford insiders, and other people on record describing the RS and its capabilities. Countless journalists have already placed their orders and hyped just as we are....the AWD system in this thing will undoubtedly be able to withstand upgraded power levels (basic stage upgrades nothing crazy like 1000hp). Now, axles, drive shaft, clutch...then yes-Those will probably go after the 50, 75, or 100hp upgrade.

Ford knows what they are doing. They have always offered the best after market mod/upgrades than any other manufacturer (chevy too). No doubt, ford and mountune will offer huge stage upgrades. President of Mountune has stated it already.

BTW- this car is sufficient for me stock. Huge HP car means Mustang, camaros, ATS/CTS V's, and Corvettes. Rs will only hang on backroads and basic trackdays.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts