1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'd rather run AP Radi-Cal stuff. Some of the higher levels are insanely light and strong. And they don't worry about what colors to make it in :)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'd rather run AP Radi-Cal stuff. Some of the higher levels are insanely light and strong. And they don't worry about what colors to make it in :)
Plus they're so reasonably priced! :cool:

Jim

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Like 1/4 the price of the original RS (for the entire setup) reasonable :)

Jim

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does anyone know if the Brembo's on the RS are a current "off the shelf" model or if they are a one-off specific to the RS?

Would be curious to dig up some of the specs if it's an off the shelf model.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Can be a one off due to mounting, but the "guts" won't be anything specific or special to the RS. No idea on the piston sizes and whether or not it's a differential caliper. I'd assume so but who knows...

·
Registered
717 Posts
So why do they still do cross-drilled? I thought we were generally in agreement that solid or at best slotted were the best for longevity and heat dispersion. Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
So why do they still do cross-drilled? I thought we were generally in agreement that solid or at best slotted were the best for longevity and heat dispersion. Correct me if I'm wrong
For low dirt environments, blanks or j-hook style are actually best. For dirty environments slotted is best. If you are using some old 1950s race pads cross-drilled would be best.

They sell cross drilled because people often care about how their brakes look more than how they function... and really the majority of the end users of these systems won't push the brakes to the point where the issues with cross drilling rotors matters.

·
Registered
717 Posts
That's what I thought, Dave-ROR. Just seems kind of silly to tout oneself as a performance brake company, and then focus on fluff instead of substance and consumer education. Not knocking their product, but find it bizarre that most performance brake companies peddle cross-drilled as their top of the line choice

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's sold as a high performance street car, not a track car so Ford chooses drilled discs. It's not a Brembo decision.

Drilled discs are more appealing to a wider cross section of buyers. Secondly, there are more performance benefits to drilled discs; lighter, shed water more easily, cool off more quickly. The negatives are only apparent under hard track use.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Does anyone know if the Brembo's on the RS are a current "off the shelf" model or if they are a one-off specific to the RS?

Would be curious to dig up some of the specs if it's an off the shelf model.
Curious if anyone knows the part # from Brembo for the calipers, considering going to 6 pistons but thinking the RS calipers are either the GT or GT-R version for the Toyota/Scion?Subaru 86/FRS/BRZ so hoping to do the swap onto my other car with the RS calipers but need part #

·
Registered
77 Posts
Curious if anyone knows the part # from Brembo for the calipers, considering going to 6 pistons but thinking the RS calipers are either the GT or GT-R version for the Toyota/Scion?Subaru 86/FRS/BRZ so hoping to do the swap onto my other car with the RS calipers but need part #
The calipers of the RS are unique to the RS, not an off-the-shelf model.

Quick recap of the various Brembo automotive calipers.
* Brembo OE - Almost always unique to that vehicle, and usually with a unique pad shape. Example: Focus RS, Mitsubishi EVO, most high end Porsche and Audi models. Engineering done with Brembo and the automaker. These calipers typically have the mounting holes already cast into the caliper in an axial position making them difficult to retrofit to other vehicles. These calipers are sold as replacement parts through the automotive dealer network.
* Brembo OE/High Performance - Some calipers, even though they were designed for a specific vehicle/manufacturer, are released from the manufacturer and the High Performance division can use those to create upgrade kits. Example: Subaru STI calipers, Ferrari F50 calipers, Lamborghini parking brake. The eight piston Audi calipers are also very close to the eight piston high performance caliper, using the same pad shape and general body.
* Brembo High Performance - Unique to the high performance line. These are the GT kit calipers, also interchangeable with GT-R and GT-S calipers. These are radial mount calipers that can be fitted with brackets so they can be used on various models. These are usually designed with multiple piston sizes and colors and engineered for maximum performance and narrow annulus discs. Calipers are only sold as part of an engineered kit.
* Brembo Racing - Competition calipers used in various motorsports. Typically hard anodized with heat protection instead of dust boots. Qualified race teams can buy kits or calipers. End users may buy kits.

·
Registered
739 Posts
@Pointby Are there quality/performance differences in between the first two categories? Ie are STI brakes considered higher end than RS brakes?

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
77 Posts
@Pointby Are there quality/performance differences in between the first two categories? Ie are STI brakes considered higher end than RS brakes?

Sent from my phone
Yes and no. There are significant differences between the first two groups and the last two but an STI caliper and an RS caliper have most of their properties in common. Both are four piston, aluminum calipers designed specifically for their respective chassis in conjunction with the OE supplier, Subaru and Ford. Both use a one piece vented disc with a wide annulus.

The RS has a newer design which would potentially incorporate any technological improvements since the STI calipers were designed.

I said yes and no since the Ferrari and Audi calipers that cross over, are radial mount and can be used on a narrow annulus disc, so they could be considered more of a high performance design.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Isn't the STI updated for 2018? It seems they've gone to a new 6 piston design.
Correct, from what I've seen on the web, they went to a six piston caliper and drilled discs. Looks like a nice setup. Since that caliper isn't available for use in Brembo aftermarket kits, only the older 4 piston Gold, I don't have any info on it.
2018 OE STI calipers.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts