Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ask your tuner about spark plug gap. .026 is a good start for most people, some have gone with a smaller gap and someone had a better experience with larger gap.

Where did you buy your plugs? There are lots of fakes on Amazon and eBay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ask your tuner about spark plug gap. .026 is a good start for most people, some have gone with a smaller gap and someone had a better experience with larger gap.

Where did you buy your plugs? There are lots of fakes on Amazon and eBay.
I got mine from a ford dealership. My tuner (Randy) recommends .026. If my car happens to be one of the cars that works well with a slightly larger gap, how would I know? Could this lead to negative ignition corrections?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like bad fuel or you need to keep dialing in your tune.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think randy knows his **** by now guys. Bad fuel = bad gap and fellers (
not randy) punching it in the low RPM band.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think randy knows his **** by now guys. Bad fuel = bad gap and fellers (
not randy) punching it in the low RPM band.
How does bad fuel not = bad fuel... bad fuel and bad gap are entirely different things. Are suggesting I replace my plugs??? I checked my current plugs which are new with a feeler gauge. All are .026 with aslight visible space with .028 fitting with resistance. I gapped the new ones myself, but I’m tempted to just put new ones in without trying to gap myself. I also just filled my car with Sunoco 260 GT Plus (104 octane) and now I don’t have any ignition corrections...really seems like fuel issue having done that test. I’m just shocked that a large city like Tampa would have bad fuel...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fuel sensitivity seems very common with the RS. The so-called mixer pumps supposedly give higher octane fuel when selected but at a number of stations around Windsor ON area this is very questionable. There are a few stations here where when fueled there I get low boost, power and poor fuel mileage. Where there is money to be made, a way will be found to do so and it is very hard to catch poor fuel.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,275 Posts
We face this same problem here in California (along with Arizona and Nevada). Gas is complete crap. When I want to run my highest performing tune, I need to top off my tank with a couple gallons of E85 to raise the octane.

Reactions: nicklulu
1 - 8 of 8 Posts