Ford Focus RS Forum banner

**NEED ADVICE** FAIL: Pre-Delivery Inspection 2018 LE

10K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Thatguy31 
#1 ·
I posted a bit about this elsewhere. I decided to create my own thread to more appropriately seek out advice. I'll do a bit of cut/paste to save time.

I waited over 6 months, let my dealership sit on a deposit, and this sorry pile of poor workmanship is what Ford delivered. They should be abashed.

Attached you find some pictures with a few additional and full size photos linked in the web album found HERE.

Some of the more obvious things I had seen during my inspection are pictured. There's plenty more not pictured, but (being recurring parts of a theme) not all of them are particularly exciting or easy to see in my mobile phone camera pictures. I don't think many people want to look at dozens of blurry photos of the same crap. There are some things I simply couldn't show in a photograph (with my phone and, lack of, photography skills), like the texture of overspray. Anyhow, I couldn't believe this car was allowed to leave the factory like this. This condition would not be acceptable, for me, on a $15k vehicle, let alone this one.

There were a lot of scratches inside. Stupid gaps inside and out, notice the door cup pictured, ridiculous. Door (leather?) finish near the ends of the carbon door pulls was looking pretty lousy. Paint scratches hidden under the white protective plastic. (No damage on the white plastic; clearly left the factory like this with damage covered up by protection.) Missing RS center caps (not delivered with car, not to be found anywhere)... White paint and grease/oil inside in many various places. Very rough paint over spray just about everywhere. Rounded off bolts in engine bay. Really just a whole lot of crap.

I signed some, but not all paperwork.

I got real hung up on the arbitration agreement. Long story, shortened:

I didn't want to sign the arbitration agreement. Finance guy got GM, who said we'd have no deal if I didn't sign it. I went on a 3 minute rant, about all the nationalism at the dealership and being asked to give up my American rights, how I couldn't hurt the dealership but they could hurt me, etc. They asked for examples. I gave a few which included paint issues with multiple improper/unsatisfactory repairs. They said, "no problem, that'd never happen, the car wouldn't have any issues." We agreed I'd sign the rest of the paperwork, including the arbitration agreement, after my inspection. 10 minutes later they are saying the never seen such a thing (in 30+ years etc.), such poor quality from the factory. They'd heard stories, but they never believed it was possible and so on.

Prior to this I had signed a lemon law disclosure and a paper saying I didn't want any other (finance, warranty, etc) products.

I didn't sign a buyers order, any contracts, etc.

I wanted and waited for THIS vehicle, this VIN, but even if these issues were fixed, I don't know if I could have faith in this particular vehicle. If I see all this, what don't I see, what problem might be hidden that I am missing?

The dealership tells me they'll work with Ford to fix it, but it's "out of their hands". WTF. OK. What are the odds the bumper repaint/replacement will match well enough to warrant the full, paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coating I've already put a deposit on? I sold my last vehicle after it was damaged (loooonnngg story). It just wasn't the same after the damage; I'd didn't feel "right" anymore. I don't want to start with a vehicle I intended to keep 10+ years with any disappointment. I was hoping for excitement. I truly believed ordering a new LE RS would deliver on that hope, not be delivered like this... NOT LIKE THIS.

Now, at this point, where else am I going to find an every option '18 (save winter wheel pkg) for $300 under invoice with no dealership fees (not even doc)? Please, tell me.

I don't have a scale, metaphor, or simile capable of adequately weighing, measuring, or expressing my deep disappointment and dissatisfaction.

I'm boggled while trying to consider how to best move forward. I'm wanting suggestions.

Another forum member suggested the the dealership should have fixed all these things before any buyer sees the car. I agree, normally that would be correct. However, in this case, I don't blame the dealership. They didn't really have that opportunity if they we're to meet my other requests.

I had asked them not to touch the car, specifically not the paint. I didn't want holes in the bumper, no wash, etc. They were to do the legally required state inspection and that was it. Interior and exterior plastics were to be removed while I was there.

I wanted to enjoy this vehicle, while preserving it at the same time. I brought my paint guy (neighbor who owns a body shop) to help inspect the vehicle for any paint issues. (Little did I know when I asked him to join me that I wouldn't need an expert for this vehicle, obviously. Honestly, I was a bit embarrassed after talking up the RS to him the whole way there saying things like "made in Germany", "not just a focus", and other such utterances I'm sure many here have made, to then show up and have him bear witness to this dreadful virtual jalopy.) I had already made arrangements to have it be loaded directly on to an articulating flat bed vehicle mover and taken directly to my detailer; who shares his work space with my PPF and window tint guys when helpful.

I really wanted to do it "right", or the best way I could conceive. I didn't want to look back, later in my ownership, and say I wish I'd done this/that differently. This was to be my toy, my hobby, and (hopefully) a source of joy for the next decade or so... Ugh. What it'll be now is kind of up in the air.

I just need to figure it all out. I still want an RS (in the same configuration), I want a good enough deal (as I felt I had), I want a good quality fit/finish, I want to be excited, I want to feel confident in my purchase. Damn, I sound like a whiny baby, I want, I want, I want....

There's a piece of information I've come across. There is a dealership very near buy (closest to my house) that has a RS in route that is equipped exactly the same as the one I ordered. It's the only such one I could find anywhere. Unfortunately, I such a poor experience with this dealership I vowed never to do business with them. So, I'm thinking deler trade... but that's iffy consider it is the EXACT same equipment, right? I won't break a vow. Maybe that's stupid, or weird, or something, to you. It's important to me. It's help me shape myself into the person I want to be. I'm strong enough not to break a vow, but not strong enough to be happy compromising myself

After sleeping on it I'm considering seeing what Ford does, but I'm thinking I should press for either a different, but exact same equipment/options, vehicle for the same price, or a full-on (every option) maximum mileage and duration extended warranty at no cost.

Anyone have any different idea short of trying to find another vehicle elsewhere and making a new/separate deal on my own?

Has anyone on this forum dealt with type of thing before? If so, do you have any recommendations or some information you can share with me, that you wished someone had shared with you?

I'm VERY eager for other suggestions. I need a distraction so, even if you'd like to make a bad suggestions that's fine. I have thick skin so as long as it's within forum rules it won't bother me here. If you label it humorus, sarcastic, or such it might help me understand if you're not being serious though. Sometimes I can be simply thick, not just thick skinned.

Blue Cobalt blue Turquoise Azure Electric blue
Blue Footwear Close-up Electric blue Shoe
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Material property Auto part Vehicle
Car Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper Auto part Vehicle

TL;DR, I waited months for RS and want everything I ordered and as expected. RS I ordered has a many quality issues. What are my options or best practices for moving forward?

See less See more
#2 ·
The interior stuff should all be handled under warranty no problem. The paint is the only thing that worries me. Does your body shop guy feel comfortable matching nitrous blue? If so tell the dealership you'd like your guy to paint it on their dime. Seems like a good start either way.

Reactions: thomwithah
#3 ·
The grease stuff is on every car. Are RS center caps a new thing in the ‘18? Must be. [emoji848]

I agree with my fellow transformer above that my only concern would be paint. You sound as crazy as me about paint, so unless your detail guy can fix the paint issues, I’d get a different car. You don’t want a new car with aftermarket paint and potential color match issues down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Yes, "RS" caps for '18s.

I wouldn't do aftermarket paint... OEM only. The fact that it's new should make it easier to match. Matching the level of flake would be the most difficult part, I think, but I'm no expert.

My understanding is that the rear bumper is painted separately at the factory anyhow. So it there could (conceivably) be a couple months difference between bumper and body paint anyhow, from the factory. At least this is what I'm being told now. Can anyone confirm or disprove this? This information goes a long way in my decision making regarding this issue.

#5 ·
Based on the pictures, I’m betting the paint issues go away with a good polish...but I know photos rarely convey the problems accurately.

I know I picked up my car untouched like you requested, but I did go over it with a bunch of detail spray, waterless car wash, etc. to make sure marks went away prior to signing papers. Have you tried anything basic like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
These scratches are NOT the type that polish out, IMHO. They are deep and likely into the painted material itself on the body contour line. At least that's my assessment and that of my paint guy. I suppose I could ask my detail guy to take a look.

#8 · (Edited)
What the heck is an "arbitration agreement"?

ETA:

Quick Google search bring up this:

Mandatory Binding Arbitration Agreements are the newest scam in the arsenal of unethical dealership weapons used to protect dealerships from accountability when they defraud consumers.
http://www.autoissues.org/arbitration.htm

Don't sign stuff if it has nothing to do with buying the car and can screw yourself over. Don't rant about your "American rights" and then sit down and sign them away! LOL

You may have been scammed by a dealership engaged in frauds. What do you think the odds are that they are going to fix your paint using a 3rd party when they made you sign an "arbitration agreement"?

#12 ·
What the heck is an "arbitration agreement"?
I Googled "arbitration agreement", clicked the first link, and was taken HERE. It's an apt description. The dealership's was very strict and basically tied my hands to arbitration with the first decision being final and unappealable. Signing it would have been of zero benefit to me, only them.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm very sorry for you, frankly I don't even understand how the car is in such a state...back in 2003 I bought the Focus RS mk1 and in 5 years of membership in a Focus club and 15 years of being a member of a Focus forum I've never heard of such damage in any mk1,mk2 or mk3 till you, clearly something out of the ordinary happened with this one

who are those car consulting group thing ? where was this sticker ?
what are those door cup parts ? doesn't look like the right ones for this car
the car is in a really fishy state other than someone getting fired from the factory and getting revenge on the products (which does happen but normally shouldn't reach customers) I don't see how you can have that much damage everywhere
it looks like a refurbished owned car not a new one, did you check the gasket type or engine build date by any chance ? I would do that just to see if it's really a LE and not a refurbished 2016
I'm going to be frank with you I would definitely not accept this car like I said I've never heard or seen such a thing on a (supposedly) brand new car in 15 years and I spend my days on forums and talking to car enthusiasts...I would not be confident driving it especially since I plan to go the nordschleife I can't bear any "doubt"

my LE only had 1 visible problem, it has some kind of small "paint worm" in a golden/brownish color on the front bumper, it's clearly under the lacker-coat or whatever so it's from the factory..I'm realistic and understand that they probably wouldn't have repainted the whole bumper-fender thing for that and even if they did it had chances to be worse so I didn't complain but your huge scratch with missing matter yeah no I would not have accepted that
well I also do have a weird klang behind when I drive around at low speed I believe it's this http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focu...ed-out-what-knocking-around-my-lift-gate.html but haven't had the time to check

update : this picture https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=eEc5OW05OHlidkREMGV1UTZ1cGhhcFRKVWtSY2lB is normal that's how it's supposed to look it doesn't really close the thing and well you're not supposed to look there it's not something you can see unless you purposefully take a weird angle, you can't see it from below the handle it looks like a line with two plastic things touching each other with no gaps, your other one tough is badly set in place or is a defective cover

#23 ·
who are those car consulting group thing ? where was this sticker ?
I'm not sure who they are. Web address on sticker is redirected to http://www.carconsulting.net/ THIS page share the same name and logo. I take them to be a company that provides inspection services at ports, rail car and ship loading/unloading, etc. The sticker was on the back of the car to the left of the licence plate area.

I checked the RS out fairly well. It has the Type C gasket. I've been tracking it since before the VIN was assigned. I'm rarely as certain of things as I am certain that this isn't a refurbished RS. Now some parts of it might have been originally intended to be parts on a '17, but only Ford knows if there's any truth to that.

#18 ·
This is reasonable. I wish I hadn't gotten emotionally attached to the idea of "this is the ONE, and this is the DAY" and had mentally prepared for another negotiation, another wait, and new logistics. The longer I think on it the more I find myself moving in this direction. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

#22 · (Edited)
updated my previous post, the cup cover things near the handles don't cover the whole thing, the slight wear on the one that looks "ok" can come from the fact that your carbon fiber parts are probably added after the fact at the factory so they had to remove and refit that area ?!? just a guess...we don't have that carbon fiber thing here so mine look like new no "wear" on the line between the two parts, my two doors cups have the same exact position where you see a little thing at each point but they seem well centered front-rear left-right I think it's normal like I said it's not something you can see unless you specifically look for it, in no normal car usage can you see that

edit : ooof I tought you had signed, yeah move away you'll find another LE no problem

#29 ·
Thanks. That one is mostly the same. I know it's silly, but I kinda wanted the car cover too. Basically everything but the winter wheels.

If I'm not going for exact copies I can find one near to Houston. If I didn't hold out for certain options I could go get one today for invoice plus about $220 in BS fees. If I drive further away I could save more but then have to start paying more for transport. It's a whole mess. I won't pay more than invoice and no BS dealer fees. I want to have local guys do PPF, detail, ceramic, etc. I don't want to risk a rock chip before PPF. It all becomes a new headache...

#31 · (Edited)
@The_Squid @KakiharaFRS @cornerexit @onestep @nvmaddog & anyone else

I know, I'm off in fantasy land here, but thinking about this and hearing your thoughts will help me process my own.

Let's say Ford says "tell you what this isn't the kind of thing we want to have happen, and we want to make you happy, and confident." "We're going to fix all these issue in the best way possible (whatever way you ask for) and we're going to give you an 8 year 125k miles PremiumCARE ESP warranty, $0 deductible, at no cost."

Those of you that said (or think) walk/run away, do you still do it in that case?

#41 ·
@The_Squid @KakiharaFRS @cornerexit @onestep @nvmaddog & anyone else

I know, I'm off in fantasy land here, but thinking about this and hearing your thoughts will help me process my own.

Let's say Ford says "tell you what this isn't the kind of thing we want to have happen, and we want to make you happy, and confident." "We're going to fix all these issue in the best way possible (whatever way you ask for) and we're going to give you an 8 year 125k miles PremiumCARE ESP warranty, $0 deductible, at no cost."

Those of you that said (or think) walk/run away, do you still do it in that case?
I've got friends in the business to go along with own personal experience. I'm good friends with the owner of the best clearbra shop in my State, he has done Veyrons, regularly works on McLarens, Ferrari's etc so he's well versed in paint quality. He also gets brand new vehicles from salesmen at high end dealerships for full clearbra on it and the dealer sells it pre-installed so he sees his fair share of manu defects because he has to make sure some dealer doesn't try to pawn that kind of stuff on his shop and blame him. Another friend owns an auto-body shop, again best shop local. Does all the local Ferrari, Porsche, and Lambo work. Between my experience and knowing these folks well, all signs to this car point to a problem child and QC failure. I've seen these over the years, and they just end up being a headache for the owner. Me, no, to answer your question. If you haven't signed on it, deuce it out. Go find one without all those defects. Looks like one built on Friday at the end of the day right before a vacation. I'd run. When I got mine, there was one defect, and it was caused by the prep team at the dealership. Front chin spoiler had been rolled over the lip into the dealership parking lot. It's 5-6 inches long and you can't see it. Only way I caught it as I know low cars (in the front), I need to run my hand across that boomerang/chin spoiler and caught it. I stole mine so dealer agreed to get me a replacement at cost, they paid for half, and it's stored at home for the future. I wasn't happy about it but it's not visible, got me a replacement for cheap, and again I got such a good deal on mine it would have been a complete waste of time to demand additional anything. They were cool about it. You've got so much wrong with that car, and I know paint via my friend very well. NB is a mo fo to get right. Most paint guys will botch it on a fix and it won't look factory. Has to be a very skilled shop to get that done right and dealers rarely use the high quality auto body shops. They chinze on that to pad their wallets. I'd want my guy fixing the paint because when he is done it's better than the factory spray. But your money man. We can't make this decision for you. You have to decide what you will put up with and what you won't. I wouldn't want to start off my RS ownership this way. One thing, Ok. But a bunch of stuff, nah. These cars are too expensive for that.

#32 ·
Ford is going to tell you to go speak to the dealership. They will fix the scratches in the paint and in the interior, but probably not to your satisfaction.

Any dealership that attempts to scam you into signing an agreement that negates any of their liability is not going to be the type of dealership to back up their product with good work.

You will have burnt a bunch more time and energy on this car and will be in the same situation again.... “they mostly fixed the problems... do I buy it, even though it’s not perfect”?

Spend the time and energy finding one from somewhere else.

#34 ·
I think this is a pretty realistic outcome if I moved forward on the vehicle. I could see the same thing happening and am basically expecting to if I were to move forward.

That said, prior to the arbitration agreement the dealership seemed pretty OK to me. Straightforward and not wasting my time. They're a part of Sonic Automotive Group, which seems pretty big. I think that arbitration agreement comes down from them.

For what I want there's a lot of time an energy to be spent finding another. It will almost certainly mean compromise of some sort. Either equipment, cost, cost of transport, cost of paint correction, license plate holder holes to plug in the front, or something will be different and/or more costly. That's why I'm not quite ready to walk away just now.

Same everything, I'd walk right now.
Same but, $300 more, walk
Same but something else.... well I'm not sure, yet.

Did you see my post above your last?

#45 ·
Cool. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#46 ·
Update.

The Ford rep didn't call me as of yet.

I called Ford. Was told all that they could do was file a dealership complaint that any follow up wasn't really to be expected from that. Does anyone know a better number to call that their standard customer service line?

Tuesday I didn't hear a peep from my dealership or Ford. I sent/left a couple messages (text and voicemail) to my salesperson and sales manager that went without a response. I called in and spoke to a different sales manager. They told my they'd been off for two days, and didn't know anything other than there was a problem. He also said they'd been without power for 5 hours.... He promised to get with the sales manger that knew what was what and one of them would call me within the hour. Neither called that day.

Today, I sent/left messages again, and again no response. I called in, again, and asked for the sales manager on duty. I spoke to the same manager as I did on Tuesday. They agreed to make it a priority and call back within 20 minutes. The original sales manager called 8 minutes later.

He said they submit warranty claims for whatever and follow fords recommendations. He said he'd give my check back, if I wanted. He said that he wouldn't even ask Ford to redirect anything or an extended warranty. He tried to make it sound like an extended warranty is not reasonable, and another car would have the same problems or worse. That if I didn't buy it they'd do nothing, put it on the lot like that, and sell it to someone else who probably wouldn't even notice anything or care. He told me he looked at it (which I don't believe) and he tried to convince me that this is normal for the RS.

I told him to submit the issues to Ford and get their response. That I wanted a copy of the responses. That I would think on it and wait. I am hoping this guy digs a hole for himself that he will need to answer to Ford to.

I went to another dealership to buy a different one today. The only issues were minor paint swirls and adhesive residue. Not the exact equipment, but not so different that I couldn't live with it. Made a deal, then found out it was sold already. They tried to switch me to a 17. They're on the hunt for an 18 now. We, will see what happens.

Ford's search, cars.com, and many other sites don't pull up all these vehicles. So, if anyone here knows of a NB with sunroof, that doesn't have the front drilled for a front plate, within 300 miles of Houston and the dealer is willing to deal on LMK. Ideally I want the SC2s and car cover too. I will pay invoice and required (not allowed) fees, not a cent more. I've got some calls/emails out but any help is appreciated.

As before, any comments, advice, or insites are appreciated.

#50 ·
I can be flexible on options. Like I said, there is an ideal configuration (as there usually is for most folks), that which I ordered, but others are acceptable.I even looked at RR today at one dealership today. I just can't do RR or anything above invoice. Anything else is at least an consideration. I'd drive/fly once, and once only, if it was a sure thing, but that is a problem.... Nothing is a sure thing and I don't want to make multiple trips... I think I always have leverage, I have money today and I'm willing to let them make a profit today. If there isn't someone else there doing the same in some kind of bidding war, that's leverage. At least, in my book.

In the end, If I can't get what I want in an RS, there are other cars. A pain, and hit, to sell all the RS stuff I've already bought, but I'd feel better doing that than making a compromise that left me feeling unsatisfied.

I appreciate the "reality check", nonetheless. Thank you.

#53 ·
Honestly, I’d just drive it. Maybe use some masking tape on vulnerable areas. While I was similar to you and let my car sit for several weeks until I could get Xpel-ed...I did put a few hundred miles on it. Nothing bad happened. My buddy with his McLaren 675LT even put 500 miles on his car before he got his Xpel (he had the full car done). As he put it, the only person who will notice any of those blemishes is him. It’s cool to be careful, but I wouldn’t over do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.