Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my headlights out today and found this curiosity...may have been discussed here before but I searched and didn't come up with anything.
Just a bag of loose insulation material floating in the cavity behind the headlights. weird.

Anyone know what they are and why I should keep them in there?

IMG_7251.JPG IMG_7250.JPG

·
Super Moderator
16,173 Posts
I'll take a stab..........Sound dampening?

Or was your FoRS used as a drug mule?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't have them behind my headlights but I think I have them tucked way back in the fender

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
One of the guys at the plant Hans makes his own German popcorn and likes to include a free bag for everyone who buys an RS, but Ford wouldn't let him do it officially. This is how he snuck it in.

Really poor marketing strategy with that black bag though

Edit: Eat it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
All focus's have them. I found them as well when I pulled my headlights. According to another website they are for sound deadening.

·
Registered
126 Posts
All focus's have them. I found them as well when I pulled my headlights. According to another website they are for sound deadening.
Does the foam (or whatever it is) retain water? Because around here, if anything holds water, it breeds rust.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I never saw these or anything like it when I had my headlights out. Looks like potatoes and schnitzel :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never saw these or anything like it when I had my headlights out. Looks like potatoes and schnitzel :)

I looked on my other RS and they're there too...they're pushed back pretty far into that cavity (even with the headlights in, you can look through an opening above the headlights and see them.

There are some funny responses in this thread...perhaps even funnier, is the fact that no one knows what the heck they are. Sound deadening is the most likely, but the bags look so haphazardly-put together and the bag material is like a kitchen trash bag...seems it would easily tear over time and the 'insulation' inside it would get wet or blow all over the place. Really, one of the weirdest things I've ever run across.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The insulation is located behind the headlights in the fenders. I think it's primary purpose is just to
take up space to prevent whistling. I will try to find the website I found it on.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah noticed the same on mine when I had the bumper off on the weekend. About 2 to 3 bags shoved down in the front fender area on both sides. My son made the same comment that the car was used to smuggle bags of Ice into Oz. They look fairly flimsy and looks like an after thought for sure. I just pushed the little pillows of goodness back into their cavities and kept on working.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Cars been out for over a year now. This is the first time hearing and seeing this.

I wonder what other hidden treasures will surface.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I made a post on here about these months ago. they are small chunks of open cell foam stuffed into a perforated plastic bag taped to the top of the wheel well/liner.
underneath these bags are some weird maxi pad looking things that are stapled in place with steel staples.
the bags retain water, the staples rust, the mice love the foam for bedding.

I recommend taking them out if you get the chance, they do not seem built to last.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts