Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Fords My Key? I'm considering getting one, but I'm not sure if it is worthwhile. I just have this strange need to ensure some idiot isn't joyriding and running drift mode when they should be tinting the Windows or getting some other service done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Fords My Key? I'm considering getting one, but I'm not sure if it is worthwhile. I just have this strange need to ensure some idiot isn't joyriding and running drift mode when they should be tinting the Windows or getting some other service done.
It is my understanding that you can program any key to be a "My Key". Basically the settings you code will be locked to that key. Won't cost anything extra, as I assume they'll hand you 2 keys when you sign for the car.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 2.39.45 PM.png

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 keys is what you get. I do wish that My Key had more ability to customize the settings. I'd like to put the car in limp mode for valet parking!
That's really what I'm looking to learn about. How much/what control do you have with the My Key?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
2 keys is what you get. I do wish that My Key had more ability to customize the settings. I'd like to put the car in limp mode for valet parking!

Or maybe have a nice little sign made that you can put on the dash that says, "You're being recorded, please play nice".

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
is there any aftermarket support for mykey?
would love if Cobb or whomever could tune it to make 0 boost. I doubt the keys will be out of my hands often, but when they are Id like to know someone isnt being an ahole.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Or maybe have a nice little sign made that you can put on the dash that says, "You're being recorded, please play nice".
Got a recommendation for a good system. I've thought about a dash cam for autocross and security for a while but wouldn't know where to start to find a good one.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Got a recommendation for a good system. I've thought about a dash cam for autocross and security for a while but wouldn't know where to start to find a good one.
I've always like the functionality of Garmin's stuff. Possible ideas here> Garmin Dash and Backup Cameras

But, I think I'd read this article first and see what they have to say. I think I'd want something that's auto start when the ignition is turned on so it'd catch everything. Garmin Dash and Backup Cameras

I have a GoPro, but really don't like using it. May look into some of these options to replace the GoPro and use as "security" as well.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The only time my car is driven by anyone other than my or a friend is when it's at the dealer. And before dropping it off I always take a picture of the odometer so I can tell if they drove it off the lot.

As for dash cams. A lot of people like the BlackVue systems since they have GPS and WiFi built in. However they are at the higher end of the price range at ~$300-350.

A cheaper option is the Mobius action cam. They are ~$75/ea however you lose the functionality of dual channel, GPS, and Wifi

·
Registered
376 Posts
The way MyKey works on the Flex is that all the individual settings are saved to each key. Things like the seat memory, mirror memory, what is on the display, and a few parental controls that I haven't had to deal with yet. Basically it just remembers who the driver is by the key. At least that's how it works on the Flex.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
is there any aftermarket support for mykey?
would love if Cobb or whomever could tune it to make 0 boost. I doubt the keys will be out of my hands often, but when they are Id like to know someone isnt being an ahole.
All it really does in the ST is activate a max speed for the car which as other have said the lowest is 65. It also has a beltminder setting that mutes the radio of the front passengers dont use belts, limit radio volume and block certain satellite radio stations. I don't know about the power seat stuff, since my ST doesn't have them. It really isn't all that useful as a valet mode. Cobb does have vallet maps on the ST that limit boost, but you have to set it with the Accessport before leaving the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was looking into this as well and was curious if you found out anything aftermarket since you created the post. You might be able to install some type of LoJack or high security alarm that an monitor when your car is running and when it is not. Not sure but might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking into this as well and was curious if you found out anything aftermarket since you created the post. You might be able to install some type of LoJack or high security alarm that an monitor when your car is running and when it is not. Not sure but might be worth looking into.
Ive looked at some aftermarket options, but nothing has jumped to the front as the right one for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I like being able to keep the fob in my pocket and open the door. Better than fumbling with the key or button on fob. Total laziness but I've grown quite fond of it. When I drive the Probe it's like oh, a key, how quaint.

It's good for limiting speed for when your kids borrow the car.

Other than that it doesn't serve much other function that I know of.

·
Registered
502 Posts
.... Cobb does have valet maps on the ST that limit boost, but you have to set it with the Accessport before leaving the car.
Since I'm probably getting the Cobb AP, that's how I'll handle the RARE situation where SOMEONE ELSE will be driving MY RS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts