Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

My wife and I just got back from a 2 week, just over 6800 km road trip for our honeymoon. We left from Central Alberta, and traveled as far south as California. We made stops on British Columbia, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah and Montana. We also traveled through parts of California, Arizona, and Wyoming.

My Honeymoon US West Coast Road Trip, 6800km round trip. All pictures taken with my Nexus 6P - Album on Imgur

The Car:

What can I say about this car that probably hasn't all ready been said... It performed flawlessly, better than expectation even. The fun I had driving it on those tight, winding mountain roads(which was the vast majority of the roads we traveled it seemed) was unlimited. The power is always there, and the grip is constant. I never felt unsafe making a pass or a turn and even in some heavy rain it kept us glued to the road in total control. The exhaust notes in some of those tunnels, was just music to my ears and after a couple times even my wife was rolling her window down to hear the pops, crackles, burbles and great purr of the exhaust. The fuel mileage average wasn't the best but it also wasn't bad considering the car climbed countless mountains. On the long, boring straight interstates and highways I figured out it averaged even better mileage, coming in at about 7.3L/100km.

Lets talk about space and comfort. I am a former 2014 Fusion SE owner, now I never did this kind of a road trip in the .but I did shorter ones just a few hours here and there. After just those few hours I was sore, my butt was numb and I felt beat up. In the RS with the Recaros 8 hour drives were nothing, they were comfortable and supple. Even with on the longest drive of the trip, 14 hours from Oregon to Las Vegas they provided great comfort and support.

I folded down the rear seats and managed to fit:

2 camping chairs
a camp stove
a medium sized rubbermaid container full of camping stuffs
a tent
a queen sized air mattress
2 sleeping bags
my large hiking backpack( 2 weeks worth of clothing)
my wifes large suitcase(what seemed like her entire wardrobe lol)
4 pairs of shoes/hiking boots(his and hers)
an axe
a laptop
and many other knick knacks one needs for a roadtrip where you are mainly camping

I really got to know my RS on this trip, I will admit I had some fleeting thoughts of a breakdown or flat tire but it never let us down once. In the whole trip only 2 things went wrong: the seat recline and lumbar support quit working(no big deal I had it adjusted just right all ready, I never would have noticed if I hadn't tried to recline the seat while my wife took photos at one of our first stops. Second was something that had nothing at all to do with the car itself. On the last leg of the trip a van cut in front of me on the highway and ran over a flat tire that had just come off someones trailer.. Sending the what I've always called an "alligator", the flattened out remnants of a blown tire our direction. I swerved to miss it as best I could without causing an accident but our poor RS did not escape unscathed.. My wife immediately told me the rear bumper was flapping in the wind, after a few choice words and profanities we found a safe place to pull over. The damage had been done, but not as bad as I had thought. The front left fog light bezel was missing, the front lip was unclipped a bit and scuffed up with rubber, and the fog light lens was cracked. Around at the back the rear bumper had also become unclipped in a couple spots the mounts were broken just behind the left rear wheel and a couple plastic rivets holding some brackets for the facia were ripped. I clipped everything I could back together and we made it home with no more issues, as my dad always said thats what insurane is for... Considering what damage the blown tire could of done the car came out pretty unscathed, I'll be getting it fixed ASAP and she will be back as beautiful as ever in no time.

All in all it was the trip of a lifetime I scratched a few things off my bucket list which was visiting Yellowstone and Zion. Now I can't wait to one day go back. I also really fell in love with this car, it made the driving fun and just seemed to peel away the hours and kilometers with ease. I documented the whole trip with my Nexus 6P. I do have a few more pictures I can post if there is interest, and of course if any of you have any questions about the car, the trip or anything in between feel free to ask!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds like a blast of a road trip, only to moment of insanity...flying alligators. Glad it didn't go higher..as in over the hood to windshield!

Really loved the pics you took, some wonderful scenery

·
Registered
555 Posts
Some...hell MOST of your shots make better screen savers/background than the ones Ford Press had out there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't know what it is with road gators and focuses....
Got creamed 6 months ago, ended up getting lodged in my roof rack... so I kept the tire shred. ... and the massive dent in my hood. Great write up.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Awesome pics, man. Glad to hear how well it did on a long trip and how much stuff you managed to get it there.

Hopefully they can repair the car ASAP.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, and your pictures really are outstanding. I've been down the west coast a couple of times (Vancouver Island to California), and it really is an incredible trip. Oh yeah, congratulations on getting married!

How did the Cup 2s make out? Mine are looking a bit shagged after 2100 km!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everybody!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a great trip, and your pictures really are outstanding. I've been down the west coast a couple of times (Vancouver Island to California), and it really is an incredible trip. Oh yeah, congratulations on getting married!

How did the Cup 2s make out? Mine are looking a bit shagged after 2100 km!
Honestly, no worse than when I left. I tried to avoid as much gravel and sharp rocks as I could. Damn are they soft though, I found myself picking rocks out of the tires at the gas station when filling up from time to time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bit of an update because well I'm board to death without my car... Went to the dealership on Saturday to have the registration on my loaner updated. It has been a little over a month since I dropped my car off for the body repairs from the flat tire.. Parts availability for this car is horrible. Apparently only waiting for 2 pieces though, just the rear bumper diffuser, and some grill mesh.. Hopefully she will he back in my hands soon! I can't take it anymore!

·
5,622 Posts
Bit of an update because well I'm board to death without my car... Went to the dealership on Saturday to have the registration on my loaner updated. It has been a little over a month since I dropped my car off for the body repairs from the flat tire.. Parts availability for this car is horrible. Apparently only waiting for 2 pieces though, just the rear bumper diffuser, and some grill mesh.. Hopefully she will he back in my hands soon! I can't take it anymore!

For a moment there, I thought I was looking at new RS 500 with new black front bumper.
Still looks awesome even when more naked..
:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts