Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I got to drive my in-laws’ new Mustang Mach-E over Christmas. I came away pretty impressed, especially with the dynamic tuning and driving fun the Mach-E allows. No, it's no Focus RS, but it's much more fun than the segment otherwise demands. (As always, I wrote a ton of words on the Mach-E, but I’ll spare you here.)

The drive got me thinking though. Because Ford marketing boldly (stupidly?) put the Mustang name on this all-electric crossover, the engineering and design teams really had to go above and beyond to make good on the name. And I think they did! The Mach-E does not look or drive like a normal EV or compact SUV. Its body has lots of muscular creases and curves, and the drivetrain and ESP tuning give it a rear-driven tail-wagging flavor than is expected from of a family mobility appliance. (And this was even true of the low-powered AWD version I drove.)

Have any of you driven the Mach-E? Did you like it, too?

It seems like it would be a nice pairing with the Focus RS, as it is quieter, calmer, and more practical than the RS but still has a sense of humor. It would be a strong contender for me if I was replacing my family’s current work horse (a Tesla Model 3).

Best!
Mike

Oh, and I found the perfect charging location, too! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
179 Posts
i think for what you pay for a mustang electric SUV...you could get:
  • c8 vette with performance package
  • mercedes a45 amg
  • audi rs3

there is no chance i would buy that thing
Sure but none of those are really being cross-shopped with a Mach-E or any EV in the same class. I think the Mach-E is really compelling, held back by it's own name. It should of just been "Mach-E".

It's on the top of the list for my next EV alongside a Model 3 Performance.

Reactions: W4R and 350bhp

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Until Good 'ol Generous Joe and his Kult Overmasters 🖕 stop trying to force me out of my RS, buy an EV, give up my gas stove and window AC (amongst other non Green approved lifestyle appliances), and give me back the 20% of my disposable fixed income they've eroded so far..................................no.

Glad you liked the Mach E though; EVs have their advantages, and are a big part of future transportation; I may well own one some day when its MY CHOICE and not THEIR FORCE. :LOL:

· Registered
609 Posts
Hydrogen is the future!

· Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Until Good 'ol Generous Joe and his Kult Overmasters 🖕 stop trying to force me out of my RS, buy an EV, give up my gas stove and window AC (amongst other non Green approved lifestyle appliances)
i see a huge market potential for private contractors constructing gas stoves per custom request. maybe that'll be my part-time / "off the books" job when i retire again in 15 years?:unsure:

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you liked the Mach E though; EVs have their advantages, and are a big part of future transportation; I may well own one some day when its MY CHOICE and not THEIR FORCE. :LOL:
At this point it is still a choice, right? Plenty of gas and electric cars on the market for the picking!

· Registered
3,602 Posts
I like EV's. Both from a performance standpoint, and the cost of ownership savings. And had I a house so I could charge at home I'd have an EV.

But honestly, I would buy a Kia EV6 GT over a Mach-E any day of the week, and I'd have a Tesla Model 3/Y over both of those. With the Tesla you get the supercharger network and that is something that isn't going to be fixed for a LONG time with any other manufacturer.

The charging infrastructure is so poorly maintained, its not hard to find stories about L2 chargers being out of order, or not performing to expectations. And the infrastructure itself is inadequate if you are going anywhere off the beaten path.

My problem with the Mach-E has always been the name, I think it diminishes the Mustang nameplate. A Mustang should forever and always be a 2 door long hood short-deck 2+2. I don't care if its electric as long as it performs.

For the same reason an All electric Corvette doesn't bother me at all, I'm all for it. But a "Corvette" SUV pisses me off something fierce. Marketing guys stealing from the "halo" car to produce a Chevy Trailblazer in a corvette costume.

· Registered
275 Posts
From all accounts from what I've read it's actually a really good vehicle. Of course you're not cross shopping it with a c8, but If you're in the market for a crossover (I'm not) .......

But man is that thing ugly. And it probably wouldn't look so ugly if they just tried to make it its own thing rather than try to force mustang styling on it.

· Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS
76 Posts
Since I work at a Ford dealership I've test driven all the Mach-E's. They're very nice, although, I'm going to replace my RS with a Model 3 Performance as the Mach-E GT is a complete dog after 100mph (who really goes over 100mph anyway?) which kills it 1/4 mile time. I love the way they drive though, quiet and limited body roll in the GT or up models. If they would stop being ****s and reprogram the battery to keep going after 100mph instead of killing most of the power they'd be a consideration.

Reactions: 350bhp

· Registered
72 Posts
I got a good chuckle over the “quieter, calmer, and more practical” than the RS part of the initial post. My RS is my quiet, calm, practical car. Every one of my Mustangs is far louder and rowdier than my RS, and all of my trucks are too.
To each their own!

Reactions: Crystals

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Sure but none of those are really being cross-shopped with a Mach-E or any EV in the same class. I think the Mach-E is really compelling, held back by it's own name. It should of just been "Mach-E".

It's on the top of the list for my next EV alongside a Model 3 Performance.
Think his point is why spend so much more to get so much less just because it’s electric.
Until it’s economically viable I just don’t get it.

· Registered
275 Posts
Think his point is why spend so much more to get so much less just because it’s electric.
Until it’s economically viable I just don’t get it.
I mean I have 0 interest in the vehicle, but more for less? Give me a ****en break. It's a suv. A crossover. A very ugly one in my opinion. But of course it doesn't handle like a c8, sure you can have more performance for the money if you're cross shopping the performance of a suv to a mid engined sports car. The mach e gt is 60k and beats a 135k cayenne turbo (another crossover) to 60.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts