Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the pre-fabbed kitted turbo/intercooler piping/hose options come with clamps of certain designs that each have their own short comings resulting in questionable reliability.

The Murray clamps address many of the deficiencis and may be the best hose clamping solution available.
Screenshot_2018-10-28-09-33-26.png

They also have a good read about cold flow as it relates to our turbo/IC hoses:
https://www.murraycorp.com/tech-tips/hose-cold-flow/

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the clamps in today, if anyone has had silicone boost hoses from their brand X hardpipes come loose, I recommend these clamps and a beading tool for a lasting solution. 20181112_211348.jpg

·
Registered
2,107 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Cant really agree with the above. Aircraft have been using the T bolt clamps on all forms of flex ducting for more than 75 years and I've never to my memory seen a worm drive clamped duct of any significance on a commercial jet anywhere in 40 years of working on them. Thats good enough engineering rationale for me.

Ciao

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received my aluminum intercooler pipes/tubing with included T-bolt style clamps. Here they are side by side. I see how these can create an out of round situation on the thin wall tubing when tightening in the attempt to create a positive seal. The T-bolt clamp can't distribute the pressure evenly by design.

The Murray clamp is a better clamp specifically for this application and materials involved; silicone hose to thin wall beaded aluminum tubing in a heat and pressure cycling environment.
20181203_160651.jpg 20181203_160750.jpg 20181203_160849.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an example of the uneven clamping force of the T-bolt style clamps. This is on titanium, I can imagine these would out-of-round thin wall aluminum tubing easily.
20181220_155608.jpg 20181220_155554.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I found it interesting that on all of the intercooler piping joints, Ford used standard Worm Gear hose clamps but used a ribbed style Worm Gear clamp at the intake manifold coupler point similar to the Murray clamp without the constant tension mechanism.
The two are pictured below.
20181222_180412.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Skidro87, pics fixed. I bought these thru Summit, these aren't cheap, but the best for this application. You'll have peace of mind and the satisfaction of knowing you have better materials than many auto brands. I know these are better than Porsche and Lotus OEM clamps.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In operation update. The clamps are working as intended, when I checked recently there are no indications of movement gauged by my initial grease pen mark. Murray clamps are solid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts