Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
We'll see, being the car is not made here if the value of the USD to EUR changes much the price could change I think. I hope under $40k with Sync3 and extra set of wheels (light weight), but time will tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was hoping to stay under $40k fully loaded, but I'll have to actual see what the trim levels are.
As with the Focus ST, I don't think I'll buy one unless it's the top tier package.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I would highly doubt the RS will touch 40K, or even get within 1K of that. For pricing we only need to look at the STI and Golf R for an indication of where it will fall. The RS may start at 37K but I think it will be more like 35-36K and top out at 38.5K with options. Ford has been very competitive with pricing and it was a goal with the RS to keep it obtainable.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Seeing as a loaded ST is about $28k I really hope they keep the RS about $35k or under too, They have to remember, its a Focus badge on it too, not a Fusion. I really think Ford is aware of this and maybe why they are not starting production until end of the year, so that they can find areas to save money in production so they can hit their price mark.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
As soon as you see "A two door version is possibly in the works" You should know all their information is crap. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would highly doubt the RS will touch 40K, or even get within 1K of that. For pricing we only need to look at the STI and Golf R for an indication of where it will fall. The RS may start at 37K but I think it will be more like 35-36K and top out at 38.5K with options. Ford has been very competitive with pricing and it was a goal with the RS to keep it obtainable.
This times a thousand! I just don't understand how anyone can think this car will touch 40k. Ford won't price it so far over the Golf R. I spoke with someone inside Ford before the reveal (I'm a vendor there so I get to see some neat things) and he said it'll be priced comparably to the Golf R which I believe starts at $36,975.

I've already spoken with my dealer and I'll get one at MSRP, they don't mark up their vehicles. Obviously I'm playing the waiting game like the rest of you but I'll be shocked if this car starts at anywhere near 40k. I also don't think there will be too many options, not like the ST with 3 trim levels. Either way, I will own this car and I'm very excited!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's my calculated guesstimate

A 2015 ST3 is $29,050 (no sunroof, no optional wheels)

Add $1750 for AWD (this is how much AWD cost on an Escape)
Add $250 for stronger AWD (added strength for additional power over an Escape)
Add $500 for Torque Vectoring Control System
Add $1,000 for the upgraded motor (2.3L compared to a 2.0L of the ST. Same motor as the Mustang but with better internals)
Add $500 for upgraded turbo/ intercooler
Add $500 for upgraded brakes
Add $250 for upgraded tech (drift mode, auto stop/start, launch control, etc)
Add $500 for bigger 19" wheels
Add $500 for upgraded suspension (stiffer springs, better bushings, bigger sway bars, two-mode switchable dampers)
Add $250 for upgraded seats (possible better Recaros than the ST3)

Total comes to $35,050

This price is assuming the RS comes with all the options of the ST3 (heated seats/steering wheel, nav, back up camera, etc)

All upgrades are over the ST with the ST3 Package. The prices above are not counting any options like the lighter 19" wheels or the optional seats for Europe.

Where did I get these numbers you ask? Well basically I pulled them out of my ass :cool:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Here's my calculated guesstimate

A 2015 ST3 is $29,050 (no sunroof, no optional wheels)

Add $1750 for AWD (this is how much AWD cost on an Escape)
Add $250 for stronger AWD (added strength for additional power over an Escape)
Add $500 for Torque Vectoring Control System
Add $1,000 for the upgraded motor (2.3L compared to a 2.0L of the ST. Same motor as the Mustang but with better internals)
Add $500 for upgraded turbo/ intercooler
Add $500 for upgraded brakes
Add $250 for upgraded tech (drift mode, auto stop/start, launch control, etc)
Add $500 for bigger 19" wheels
Add $500 for upgraded suspension (stiffer springs, better bushings, bigger sway bars, two-mode switchable dampers)
Add $250 for upgraded seats (possible better Recaros than the ST3)

Total comes to $35,050

This price is assuming the RS comes with all the options of the ST3 (heated seats/steering wheel, nav, back up camera, etc)

All upgrades are over the ST with the ST3 Package. The prices above are not counting any options like the lighter 19" wheels or the optional seats for Europe.

Where did I get these numbers you ask? Well basically I pulled them out of my ass :cool:
I don't disagree with your final number, but one huge factor that is missing from the equation is R&D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to see where this goes. As stated before 45+ Im out. I've priced out a Sti as I was in the market and loaded out I'm at 39k. If it's anything like that I'm totally game.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't disagree with your final number, but one huge factor that is missing from the equation is R&D
R&D can be placed around the entire Ford lineup to recoup costs.

It can also be implemented later by raising the price of the vehicles. Sort of like Chevy does after the initial build of their vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
R&D can be an additional cost that I haven't included however I don't think its as huge a factor as you are saying. If this were a GT, a new platform that doesn't share many items from the ford parts bin, then yes R&D would be huge. But the RS doesn't have many parts specific to itself. I'm sure they spent quite sometime tuning and testing this thing so lets put some more made up numbers on it. Hows about $10 mil for R&D. Now we have to spread that out over how many RS'eses they may produce. Lets say 5,000 per year for 4 years= 20k. That breaks down to only $500 per car. That makes the final price $35,550. Only 1.4% higher than my original guess.

This is a $6500 cost over the ST3 which i'm comfortable saying that the ST3/RS cost difference wont be anymore than that. If you compare all the differences within each model, titanium to sport, ecoboost to GT, etc, the differences are about $4k-$6k. Take a look at the Explorer for example. The limited 2.0L FWD turbo is $39,195 and the Sport 3.6L AWD with twin turbos is $43,100. A difference of $3,905. So a step up from 4 cylinders to 6, 1 turbo to twins, front wheel drive to all wheel drive only costs $3,905. So to the people saying this car will be near $40k or more, you crazy :confused: (Not including options like lighter wheels etc)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
R&D can be an additional cost that I haven't included however I don't think its as huge a factor as you are saying. If this were a GT, a new platform that doesn't share many items from the ford parts bin, then yes R&D would be huge. But the RS doesn't have many parts specific to itself. I'm sure they spent quite sometime tuning and testing this thing so lets put some more made up numbers on it. Hows about $10 mil for R&D. Now we have to spread that out over how many RS'eses they may produce. Lets say 5,000 per year for 4 years= 20k. That breaks down to only $500 per car. That makes the final price $35,550. Only 1.4% higher than my original guess.

This is a $6500 cost over the ST3 which i'm comfortable saying that the ST3/RS cost difference wont be anymore than that. If you compare all the differences within each model, titanium to sport, ecoboost to GT, etc, the differences are about $4k-$6k. Take a look at the Explorer for example. The limited 2.0L FWD turbo is $39,195 and the Sport 3.6L AWD with twin turbos is $43,100. A difference of $3,905. So a step up from 4 cylinders to 6, 1 turbo to twins, front wheel drive to all wheel drive only costs $3,905. So to the people saying this car will be near $40k or more, you crazy :confused: (Not including options like lighter wheels etc)
The RS has many specific parts, AWD, Turbo, clutch, trans, wheels, tires, brakes, center console, seats, cylinder head, cylinder liners, ect. Also for your made up numbers the run will be 2 years at most, and I will add a made up bet to make it interesting :cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
This times a thousand! I just don't understand how anyone can think this car will touch 40k. Ford won't price it so far over the Golf R. I spoke with someone inside Ford before the reveal (I'm a vendor there so I get to see some neat things) and he said it'll be priced comparably to the Golf R which I believe starts at $36,975.

I've already spoken with my dealer and I'll get one at MSRP, they don't mark up their vehicles. Obviously I'm playing the waiting game like the rest of you but I'll be shocked if this car starts at anywhere near 40k. I also don't think there will be too many options, not like the ST with 3 trim levels. Either way, I will own this car and I'm very excited!
In agreement... With all due respect to the Emblem, the AWD segment Focus will be in ranges from 21k to up to ? I don't see close to 40k... not entry level ...

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
In agreement... With all due respect to the Emblem, the AWD segment Focus will be in ranges from 21k to up to ? I don't see close to 40k... not entry level ...
This statement is actually with much respect to the emblem. This company was founded on the Model-T the biggest bang for the buck automobile in history. The fact that Ford seems to be going back to its roots is why it has gained my love and respect.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This statement is actually with much respect to the emblem. This company was founded on the Model-T the biggest bang for the buck automobile in history. The fact that Ford seems to be going back to its roots is why it has gained my love and respect.
wen

I finally went back to Ford with a 2013 Focus ST or FoST as you guys like to display. My previous Ford was a 1990 Taurus SHO 5-speed which was a great car for almost 2 years then it kind of fell apart. In between I had a variety of cars including : GSR, M3, Avalon, IS300 5-speed, S2000 (still have), Accord V-6 6-speed, CT200h ( which I had right before ST, wife drives now).

No doubt about it I am now a Ford man and I Iove 5-door hatchbacks. The ST is great, but one always wants more power RIGHT?? So I am getting a RS Yeah! I wanted race Red like the ST , but I have talked myself into Stealth Grey

I am a car nut and cars sure have come a long way from the 3 speed on the column ( most of you probably have never driven one , a lot have never heard of it LOL ) that I learned to drive on. And it is so, so great not having to change points and plugs and belts all the time!

Just remember you are never to old to have fun shifting.

So one last question ..... Is anyone thinking about a custom license plate ... I am... and I think I have thought of the best one :cool:

Oh yeah price .. If I were Ford I would target RS entry price at about 36K and fully loaded at $39,999.99 - Anyone want to take bets?? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts