Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall ever seeing any posts about these on here so I figured I would ask. CJ Pony Parts has MSD coil packs for sale for around $200. They say they increase throttle response and have other benifits. There are reviewers that have bought them and given them high marks saying it makes a big difference. I'm not sure if I am going to buy them unless they do infact make a big difference. So I wanted to ask on here if anyone knows anything about them or has them installed on their car. Thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
I look at all the bigger power cars and all are on stock coils still. I think one of the last parts you should be looking at.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for answering. That is what I wanted to know. If it was worth it or not.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing any posts about these on here so I figured I would ask. CJ Pony Parts has MSD coil packs for sale for around $200. They say they increase throttle response and have other benifits. There are reviewers that have bought them and given them high marks saying it makes a big difference. I'm not sure if I am going to buy them unless they do infact make a big difference. So I wanted to ask on here if anyone knows anything about them or has them installed on their car. Thanks
Human folly there. They purchased it, so therefore since they spent money on it, it must be better.

Modern ignition coil on plug setups are generally far better than they need to be. The multi coil setups have eliminated the problem with dwell between spark events since they fire once every 2 revolutions on a 4 stroke 4 cylinder, compared to 2 spark events per revolution on a single coil setup. Plus in general the electrical system are much better designed and there is much less voltage drop.

Then again, I don't know if the RS uses waste spark or not. So it might be firing the coil every revolution regardless.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Here's a review from an F-150 driver who took the coils to a multimeter

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/13-f150-ecoboost-performance/44298-msd-blaster-coil-plug-kit-review-post801674.html #post801674

tl;dr, more windings for sure, but considering what everyone else said already I wouldn't go out and replace a perfectly good set for these. Perhaps when it's time to replace coils, sure. Then you get the choice of black, blue, or red! 200 bucks is better spent on a filter and BPV, well on your way to better performance from a tune than these.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I'm not the most tech savy person, but I think I now have a better understanding of them and how they work. I just like weighing my options of what can make my car even better. I think I am just addicted haha
Well thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is an age-old question. The long and short of it is simply this. The stock coil packs are plenty capable of putting out enough voltage to fire the spark plugs on all but the most highly modified of engines. The case for the MSD coils would be a race engine, running tons of boost, and possibly nitrous. Then, and only then, the additional voltage would be necessary to fire the spark plug to prevent a misfire. The advent of "coil-on-plug" ignition has virtually eliminated misfires on normal engines. Oddly enough, it was the result of mandatory, tighter emission controls that brought this to modern engines. Sooo...if you're dying to have a set of MSDs, you can't go wrong with their performance...but at what cost???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the only one here who owns the coils it seems. I feel it. In not some 20 year old kid talking out of my butt either. I am quite sure these provide a longer and hotter spark. There is definitively a difference in off idle throttle response and my fuel economy increased. I see alot of people loving the idea that they know what they are talking about on here. They all use general terms and seem like know it all types. Its gross. They made a difference.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I am the only one here who owns the coils it seems. I feel it. In not some 20 year old kid talking out of my butt either. I am quite sure these provide a longer and hotter spark. There is definitively a difference in off idle throttle response and my fuel economy increased. I see alot of people loving the idea that they know what they are talking about on here. They all use general terms and seem like know it all types. Its gross. They made a difference.
Yet you're giving your opinion as fact, while complaining about others doing the same. About as useful as using the butt dyno to say you feel the car is faster after installing an exhaust.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you just having given any actual info to show why you're right. The change could have been from the car relearning from unplugging the battery during the install etc. Now posting dyno charts/AP logs etc backing your claims up would be a different story.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I would be inclined to believe a before and after set of dyne runs. It would have to be something averaged though.

2-3 runs with OEM coils. Change them out. Another 2-3 runs on the MSDs, compare. I bet the HP difference falls within statistical error.

As said, unless you are modified and pushing significantly more boost, then I don't think we'll see a problem.

There is a great Hot-Rod article where they build a 5.3 (except its actually a 4.8L) for max boost.

They got something that was built for N/A application to makeover 1200hp on over 27psi of boost. The only reason they stopped? The stock ignition couldn't handle the boost. And that was just bog standard OEM GM coils. A 300hp n/a engine pushed to the extreme range on the stock ignition, and it didn't misfire until massive boost.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Welcome to the forums? At least your first post wasn't after blowing up your engine.

I'm glad that you're happy with your parts though! Your car and your money, but perhaps your coils are compensating for poorly gapped spark plugs. As mentioned here, many tuners aren't recommending coils (Mountune doesn't sell them FWIW).

Perhaps you're used to some of the other car forums, but people here are generally civil and are quite knowledgeable. Two among many of the reasons I stick around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm curious as to what plug gap you are running? My thought is that you might be able to get away with a wider or basically stock gap and feel a performance benefit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is an age-old question. The long and short of it is simply this. The stock coil packs are plenty capable of putting out enough voltage to fire the spark plugs on all but the most highly modified of engines. The case for the MSD coils would be a race engine, running tons of boost, and possibly nitrous. Then, and only then, the additional voltage would be necessary to fire the spark plug to prevent a misfire. The advent of "coil-on-plug" ignition has virtually eliminated misfires on normal engines. Oddly enough, it was the result of mandatory, tighter emission controls that brought this to modern engines. Sooo...if you're dying to have a set of MSDs, you can't go wrong with their performance...but at what cost???
I realize this is an old post but I am trying to look into the MSD Coil Packs a little further and wanted to ask the question: If the stock coil packs are plenty capable of putting out enough voltage then why do several of the tuners (Stratified for example) recommend closing the plug gap to 26 - 28? Thank you for any info you can provide.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I think that they probably added 20 hp to my latest Dyno test (haha, jk). They probably don't add much, but they are prettier than the stock ones. Actually, after putting them in, I did notice that the throttle response was improved.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I think that they probably added 20 hp to my latest Dyno test (haha, jk). They probably don't add much, but they are prettier than the stock ones. Actually, after putting them in, I did notice that the throttle response was improved.
Ahh, wrong pic.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts