Ford Focus RS Forum banner

MRT Performance Tune

26K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  hyper.rs 
#1 ·
Has anyone had their RS tuned by MRT AKA Brett Middleton?

If so, comments?

Thanks in advance

#5 ·
So not convinced?

#12 ·
I have booked in with MRT keen to know if any further feedback? I don’t really like them but in Sydney I don’t know
Of any other options and would prefer not to buy an AP after I was stooged with the mountune handset

#33 ·
Did you go ahead with a tune - results?

#15 ·
I am going overseas with my tune.
Wouldn't trust a local tune.

#17 ·
Tune +
Or
Alex@stratified.

I.prefer the latter at this stage.
We will see after my HG replacement.

#53 ·
@Paolo have come to the exact same conclusion as well (although my disclaimer is that I don't know a hell of a lot about tuning). My warranty just expired and both my last service as well as an end-of-warranty inspection by NRMA gave my car the all-clear so I can now mod with a clear conscience. Thinking of the Stage 1 kit + tune from Stratified.

Did you end up pulling the trigger on a tune? I'm just back on the forum after a long hiatus so I haven't caught up on all the threads, apologies if you posted an update since this post.

#29 · (Edited)
A custom tune on the factory ECU done by an experienced tuner on a dyno is always the best option since all cars are slightly different.....an open source package like ECUTek (which is what MRT sells) will allow the tuner to do this. There are a number of licenced ECUTek tuners aroun Australia.
A pre-programmed tune from overseas is usually a "best average" set of parameters. Some people offering pre-programmed tunes will get you to run it in the car for a while then send it back to get it "smoothed out" (eg Tune +)....but I have heard of some of these going back and forward to various companies over and over.
Remember a tune programmed in the US is generally derived using US based cars...and similar for a UK tune....and those cars are slightly different to ours.

#32 ·
I guess it really depends what you want from your car.
I have played with lots of tunes on my RS3 and on my A45 custom tunes, plug and play tunes and also flash types tunes.
All cars react differently but you can't beat a custom tune from an experienced t tuner who knows what they are doing.
I had a flash tune in my RS3 from Harding Performance and it was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. I had the car custom tuned by a Melbourne based tuner and it totally transformed.
I had my A45 custom tuned and it was ok. Then I installed a Willall plug an play and it was actually a better option for that car.
My point is that there is no right or wrong either way. Try what you think will work for you and your driving patterns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.