Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Remember with the ecoboost ecu strategy the tuner has to know specifically what they're doing vs almost anyone can tune a subaru.

2.3 Ecoboost tuning experience > local availability

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jamo, Does he tune an AP or the factory computer?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I would say the factory ECU. Best to check with him to be sure.
I've seen a post on here from a car he has had, maybe in one of the exhaust threads?

·
Registered
116 Posts
No worries will give him a call when I’m back from the states

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A custom tune on the factory ECU done by an experienced tuner on a dyno is always the best option since all cars are slightly different.....an open source package like ECUTek (which is what MRT sells) will allow the tuner to do this. There are a number of licenced ECUTek tuners aroun Australia.
A pre-programmed tune from overseas is usually a "best average" set of parameters. Some people offering pre-programmed tunes will get you to run it in the car for a while then send it back to get it "smoothed out" (eg Tune +)....but I have heard of some of these going back and forward to various companies over and over.
Remember a tune programmed in the US is generally derived using US based cars...and similar for a UK tune....and those cars are slightly different to ours.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
"A custom tune on the factory ECU done by an experienced tuner on a dyno is always the best option since all cars are slightly different"

Exactly why I suggested Benchmark. He ticks all of these boxes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What are people's thoughts with the off the shelf (OTS) Cobb tunes? It was pretty good on the ST

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess it really depends what you want from your car.
I have played with lots of tunes on my RS3 and on my A45 custom tunes, plug and play tunes and also flash types tunes.
All cars react differently but you can't beat a custom tune from an experienced t tuner who knows what they are doing.
I had a flash tune in my RS3 from Harding Performance and it was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. I had the car custom tuned by a Melbourne based tuner and it totally transformed.
I had my A45 custom tuned and it was ok. Then I installed a Willall plug an play and it was actually a better option for that car.
My point is that there is no right or wrong either way. Try what you think will work for you and your driving patterns.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have booked in with MRT keen to know if any further feedback? I don’t really like them but in Sydney I don’t know
Of any other options and would prefer not to buy an AP after I was stooged with the mountune handset
Did you go ahead with a tune - results?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

·
Registered
1 Posts
MRT don't have the ability to tune with Cobb software. If you want to be able to change your tune yourself with an Accessport then Tunehouse is the best option. Fully bolted and sensational linear power delivery at 270kw at the hub.

·
Registered
90 Posts
MRT don't have the ability to tune with Cobb software. If you want to be able to change your tune yourself with an Accessport then Tunehouse is the best option. Fully bolted and sensational linear power delivery at 270kw at the hub.
Ummm.... what do you call "Fully bolted" ? What modifications support the 270kw ? The dyno graph you posted states "Stg3"

·
Registered
116 Posts
So mine was done by MRT. I have Mountune upper and lower intakes, cooler, cooler pipes, recirc valve and dump pipe.

Made 286kw and 590nm at the wheels. I will caveat that by saying they haven't seen one make that much power previously.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
So mine was done by MRT. I have Mountune upper and lower intakes, cooler, cooler pipes, recirc valve and dump pipe.

Made 286kw and 590nm at the wheels. I will caveat that by saying they haven't seen one make that much power previously.
That's a very good figure...hopefully it's reliable....keep us informed please....

21 - 40 of 68 Posts