Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,814 Posts
I installed mine a few months ago as an "I need something to do during COVID times." Also nice to have that peace of mind. I didn't remove the turbo oil line when I did mine. Everything went really quickly and smooth with my Milwaukee 3/8" M12 ratchet. But I'll tell you, the topmost bolt was the killer. It turned what should've been a 30 min job to an almost 2 hour job. Having to turn a little L-shaped allen wrench less than a quarter turn at a time was brutal... But glad it did it! Haha!

I did the same process as @Hank how he did his.

I stumbled on his after I saw his page: Hank's RS - PTU Brace

After you torque the three bolts, you can "feel" the correct torque on the 4th.

Also note the washers orientation:

Mountune PTU Brace Install

Great minds think alike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I installed mine a few months ago as an "I need something to do during COVID times." Also nice to have that peace of mind. I didn't remove the turbo oil line when I did mine. Everything went really quickly and smooth with my Milwaukee 3/8" M12 ratchet. But I'll tell you, the topmost bolt was the killer. It turned what should've been a 30 min job to an almost 2 hour job. Having to turn a little L-shaped allen wrench less than a quarter turn at a time was brutal... But glad it did it! Haha!
Yeah I was hoping @Hank and everyone would tell me you don't need it.

Yes it's obviously beefier and picks up another bolt, but if the oem keeps it steady just fine then the upgraded piece is for no reason.

But the consensus seems to be it helps, the stock piece is inadequate.
Looks like I'll be making an order for one.

·
Registered
2016 RS
218 Posts
Well the V2X isn’t on the US site anymore... wondering if I’ll get mine? 🤔...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Well the V2X isn’t on the US site anymore... wondering if I’ll get mine? 🤔...
Another victim of the COVID lockdowns? I hope that Mountune can stick it out, they make some good stuff! I'm trying to do my part, but I'm out of stuff to buy.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
4,814 Posts
They better find a good financier.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah I was hoping @Hank and everyone would tell me you don't need it.

Yes it's obviously beefier and picks up another bolt, but if the oem keeps it steady just fine then the upgraded piece is for no reason.

But the consensus seems to be it helps, the stock piece is inadequate.
Looks like I'll be making an order for one.
If I read that right you are thinking the factory PTU brace is sufficient? It might be, for a stock RS. But my RS is far from stock. Autox is brutal to a vehicle (even worse for a highly modified one). I launch 6-8 times a day with more torque than the factory output. If I can install a thicker brace that picks up another point to add strength, then that's a win win. Same thing with the factory RDU bushings. They will probably last 100K miles on a stock RS. But Autox increases the rate of wear for suspension components. And adding more torque to the RDU will accelerate the wear on the OE bushings. Hence, the need for the Powerflex bushing inserts. The negatives to all this? Cost and NVH. Lastly, in your defense, I can't find a single instance of a cracked PTU. I don't want to be the first.

·
Registered
173 Posts
@Hank I'm not really thinking one way or another. I'm not one to just buy a part because some company made it and claims you need it with no data to back it up. I'm also not trying to be the first one to crack a ptu either. Though I have seen some of them leak which may or may not of just been factory defects.

I personally haven't looked into how well the factory ptu is bolted and braced in myself, was just getting peoples opinions on it.

I do plan on getting one now with everyone's recommendations. Along with your recommendation of the rdu bushing inserts. I've remained stock power up to this point, but won't be for very much longer, and also running @Kacper s rdu tune.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Okay. So here's the response I got from Mountune UK when I emailed asking if there were any plans to restock the gray (grey?) boost hoses on their site:

"We do plan on restocking these items but we are currently experiencing a minor delay in our supply due to the current pandemic.

We currently do not have a specific timeframe on when they will be back in but we anticipate the next month or so."

It seems they are staying rather optimistic, which is good. We'll see how long it actually takes.

Reactions: MbbRS and nicklulu

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You can walk to Samco from Mountune in 30 minutes.

I bet Samco know their supply line, I also bet they don’t know when Mountune will pay their invoice 😂😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
151 Posts
here ya go, same quality as mountune & samco:

Focus RS MK3

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You can walk to Samco from Mountune in 30 minutes.

I bet Samco know their supply line, I also bet they don’t know when Mountune will pay their invoice 😂😂😂😂😂
65 GBP in price difference though, and more hoses/clamps.

Regarding the PTU brace, it is a lot of money for a piece of aluminum but I'm willing to bet that the Mountune part is 4-5x stiffer than the stock stamped steel piece (2x for aluminum vs mild steel in this application, 2x as the parts weigh the same). Not to mention the Mountune part has an extra mounting point. I'm in, when they're back in stock on the UK site.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mountune PTU brace is a well machined piece of kit and giving the 4th mounting point is a bonus 👍

To be honest this and the Mountune RMM where two of the first mods I placed on the car.

·
Super Moderator
16,597 Posts
UPDATE:

“It gives me enormous pleasure to be able to secure the brand both now, in its 40th year, and for the future. We can’t wait to get back to supplying and supporting our customers and dealers properly and also embracing new technologies that will enable us to take Mountune forward for decades to come."

The firm plans to return to "business as usual" by continuing to offer its range of tuning packages and modifications, but will also look to develop its own electric powertrain hardware, most likely for sale to car manufacturers and race teams.

Mountain's acquisition means Mountune is now an independent entity, having previously been linked to a number of businesses in the US. Over the next few months, it will prioritise rebuilding its stock levels while working towards the release of new products.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wonder what this means for the USA store???

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Wonder what this means for the USA store???
My guess is nothing. I think they are two completely separate entities: Mountune LLC (USA) vs Mountune LTD (UK/Mountune racing). This could explain why they can have the same parts (Focus, Fiesta, Mustang, probably sourced from UK) and yet completely different offerings (parts for the F150, raptor and ranger only in the US). Hopefully they start figuring out their supply chain issues and fix all their long term delays (or at least fix their site to show what items are not in stock or expected dates).

·
Super Moderator
16,597 Posts
Parts will still arrive at Long Beach port from the UK, fingers crossed with the mentioning of prioritizing the manufacturing of parts by Mountune UK, and maintaining a handle on in stock items for the US market by Mountune US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Sounds like this was a management "wedge" move to acquire full control. I totally agree that supplying product was an issue for them as there was never enough stock.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I still want to give Mountune UK a bunch of money, but almost all the Mk3 RS stuff is sold out (minus the drop ship stuff). Let's hope that they fix this sooner than later.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I still want to give Mountune UK a bunch of money, but almost all the Mk3 RS stuff is sold out (minus the drop ship stuff). Let's hope that they fix this sooner than later.
Yup. Still waiting on the charge pipe kit to come back in stock. I think it's going on a couple months now...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I asked Mountune UK if they would have parts before Christmas. I received this:

"We are looking towards the new year on these parts but this is subject to change."

Oh well.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts