Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some additional guidance here. Took advice of others to install through wheel well. Hoping this will help others speed up their installation. The vacuum swirl is now gone so it works as indicated.

Links to parts and pliers in description on Youtube website.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nice job! I tried to install mine twice now and gave up. Can not get that c-clamp off for the life of me. However, I didn't turn the front wheel full lock to the right like you did, so I will have to give it another try like that. :)

How long ago did you order your part? I got mine within the last 2 months and mine came with a screw type clamp versus a snap clamp for the rubber cover. I wonder when they changed and why.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Going through that wheel well makes a world of difference. And get yourself a set of mini snap ring pliers. Like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002E08YSY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497283633&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Mini+circlip+pliers&dpPl=1&dpID=31c8kkXUKPL&ref=plSrch

Cheap ones will do. They just need to be small to get in the space available. You will be amazed ar how easy it is that way with the right tool.
Nice job! I tried to install mine twice now and gave up. Can not get that c-clamp off for the life of me. However, I didn't turn the front wheel full lock to the right like you did, so I will have to give it another try like that. :)

How long ago did you order your part? I got mine within the last 2 months and mine came with a screw type clamp versus a snap clamp for the rubber cover. I wonder when they changed and why.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Going through that wheel well makes a world of difference. And get yourself a set of mini snap ring pliers. Like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002E08YSY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497283633&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Mini+circlip+pliers&dpPl=1&dpID=31c8kkXUKPL&ref=plSrch

Cheap ones will do. They just need to be small to get in the space available. You will be amazed ar how easy it is that way with the right tool.
Have that tool and went through the wheel well both times, LOL! This has become my white whale. If only I would have done this when the stut was out for the spring swap!!!

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I know it has also been luck of the draw for how the clip is oriented to start with. If it's at the right spot, easy. If not, takes some work.
Have that tool and went through the wheel well both times, LOL! This has become my white whale. If only I would have done this when the stut was out for the spring swap!!!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
What does this thing actually do? I've read the product description but is it worth the 60 bucks?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
What does this thing actually do? I've read the product description but is it worth the 60 bucks?
When upgrading the intake (even just the air filter), the turbo produces a faint whistle/hum that kinda sounds like somebody blowing over a bottle. I have the Mountune induction kit and hear it during cold start and when cruising on the freeway, where it does start to get annoying. Is it worth $60? depends on how much you can it I think.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I've said it before in the other thread but seriously just take the wheel off - work smarter not harder

seriously, it is so much easier to be able to look easily at the part and not be fighting that thing in your way lol

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
When upgrading the intake (even just the air filter), the turbo produces a faint whistle/hum that kinda sounds like somebody blowing over a bottle. I have the Mountune induction kit and hear it during cold start and when cruising on the freeway, where it does start to get annoying. Is it worth $60? depends on how much you can it I think.
Even with just the inlet pipe (not even the crossover pipe, though that made it even worse) my car sounded like it was whistling ridiculously loud at low speeds

like driving through a parking lot loud enough to have people turn there head thinking 'what is wrong with that car?'

for me, it was definitely worth the $60

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Even with just the inlet pipe (not even the crossover pipe, though that made it even worse) my car sounded like it was whistling ridiculously loud at low speeds

like driving through a parking lot loud enough to have people turn there head thinking 'what is wrong with that car?'

for me, it was definitely worth the $60
Yup, the first cold start the morning after I installed the Mountune intake, it was so loud my wife thought the car was broken. Reinstalling the hood insulation helped and made it more faint, but I just couldn't take it on my commute. Is the part itself worth $60? I don't think so, I probably could machine that adapter for and find a chunk of tubing to plug it with for much less $, but I got it for "convenience"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. Mine was at 3 o'clock. I was able to move it around a bit when it got in an inconvenient location. But if it were at 9 o'clock it would have been more difficult.

I know it has also been luck of the draw for how the clip is oriented to start with. If it's at the right spot, easy. If not, takes some work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you guys installed the SSC and got the c-clip back in, did the SSC piece wiggle at all? I got the c-clip in fully but doesn't feel like it's fully seated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you guys installed the SSC and got the c-clip back in, did the SSC piece wiggle at all? I got the c-clip in fully but doesn't feel like it's fully seated.
Yes, mine is a bit loose. It seems that everyone's is. I remember Christopher Ayres had an installation video where he mentions the same thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, mine is a bit loose. It seems that everyone's is. I remember Christopher Ayres had an installation video where he mentions the same thing.
Well, I spoke to mountune. They said that it should not move at all. They're sending me a new one and I'll send mine back for testing.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Mine moves as well.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
@gte posted a workable alternate solution for like $6, worth searching for. It uses the stock piece with an aftermarket inexpensive rubber cap and a single piece of hardware to mate the two.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree. Mine was at 3 o'clock. I was able to move it around a bit when it got in an inconvenient location. But if it were at 9 o'clock it would have been more difficult.
Mine is still at 2 / 2:30.. FFS I tried a few times last night and while I was probably half a millimeter away from making contact with the upper hole of the snap ring, I just couldn’t get the Harbor Freight snap ring pliers clear of various bits to get the thing out. I threw in the towel after about 45 minutes of trying. That angle is horrid, and if it were at 3 - 5, it’d be much easier.

I already picked up some Channelock snap ring pliers from Home Depot; those are hilariously too big for the space. So, last night, and then again this morning, I ordered sets of mini snap ring pliers (the link for one of the sets is in this thread). The two separate mini sets will arrive today and Thursday.. If the first set doesn’t work, hopefully the second will. I’ll post links to all that I’ve tried once I either get the SSC in, or call it & wait until I can get some more lift time.

I was under the car on Sunday installing the roll restrictor (it was on a lift, and I ran out of time.. Also, that rear facing bolt at a 45 degree angle is a b$&@?!).. I don’t see how replacing this while under the car is a) possible (I mean maybe it is but wow..) or any easier than going through the wheel well (where you can at least be eye level with the thing).. I also turned my wheels full lock to the right, and tried getting at it from the front, sitting in front of the caliper, while the car was on a jack stand and chalked off.

I’m going to try again tonight and will reply back with results.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mine is still at 2 / 2:30.. FFS I tried a few times last night and while I was probably half a millimeter away from making contact with the upper hole of the snap ring, I just couldn’t get the Harbor Freight snap ring pliers clear of various bits to get the thing out. I threw in the towel after about 45 minutes of trying. That angle is horrid, and if it were at 3 - 5, it’d be much easier.

I already picked up some Channelock snap ring pliers from Home Depot; those are hilariously too big for the space. So, last night, and then again this morning, I ordered sets of mini snap ring pliers (the link for one of the sets is in this thread). The two separate mini sets will arrive today and Thursday.. If the first set doesn’t work, hopefully the second will. I’ll post links to all that I’ve tried once I either get the SSC in, or call it & wait until I can get some more lift time.

I was under the car on Sunday installing the roll restrictor (it was on a lift, and I ran out of time.. Also, that rear facing bolt at a 45 degree angle is a b$&@?!).. I don’t see how replacing this while under the car is a) possible (I mean maybe it is but wow..) or any easier than going through the wheel well (where you can at least be eye level with the thing).. I also turned my wheels full lock to the right, and tried getting at it from the front, sitting in front of the caliper, while the car was on a jack stand and chalked off.

I’m going to try again tonight and will reply back with results.
Mine was a little rusty from 2.5 years of DD. I had to soak mine with penetrating lube and it still took me 1.5+hrs to remove that snap ring. The mini plyers didnt work for me as they didnt have the strength to pull the ring together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts