Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone install one of these? I understand their benefit if you're going to tune, but I've heard people stating that it actually improved driveability and they claimed they felt the difference?

The stock unit does look rather flimsy but wondering if there is a benefit if not tuning?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes I have. It is an easy install. It is a noticeable, snapper reaction. Once you remove the stock one, the first thing you will think is "boy that doesn't look to be built for the long run"? Make sure the motor is very cooled down. For example, do it first thing in the morning, pop the hood the night before because the motor, hood and turbo holds heat all night.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Snappier.... the original is a little lethargic and reacts a little to soon and weakly, I guess is what Im saying. Where as the Mountune unit snaps in and hangs on in the response better. It has a more efficient feel to it. However I have the uprated intake system too. So as a stand alone install I don't know what the experience would be.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is it the same one they sell for the ST?
Russtang

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here's a comparison video I made after I installed Mountune recirculation valve onto my RS. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nope, pretty similar to stock. If you want something louder, then you will want something that will vent-to-atmosphere. (ex. Turbosmart or Boomba Racing)

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I have it, like others said, no audible noise change.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have it, like others said, no audible noise change.
I had the Mountune intake kit installed long before installing the recirculation valve. When I picked up the car after getting the recirculation valve installed, the tech told me about the difference in the sound. I tested it and there was definitely a much more pronounced whooshing sound. I had the Mountune charge pipes and intercooler installed at the same time so maybe that has something to do with the different results I got.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine came as part of the Mountune B3 package. No doubt, the quality of the piece is 100% better than the crappy plastic OEM unit it replaced. The install was pretty easy. You will not notice any sound or performance change with this alone.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I had the Mountune intake kit installed long before installing the recirculation valve. When I picked up the car after getting the recirculation valve installed, the tech told me about the difference in the sound. I tested it and there was definitely a much more pronounced whooshing sound. I had the Mountune charge pipes and intercooler installed at the same time so maybe that has something to do with the different results I got.

Hmmmm not sure because i have

Mountune Air intake kit
Mountune Charge pipe kit
Mountune bypass valve

and honestly cant even tell the difference...If i pay attention maybe I can hear it but most people probably wont notice!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hmmmm not sure because i have

Mountune Air intake kit
Mountune Charge pipe kit
Mountune bypass valve

and honestly cant even tell the difference...If i pay attention maybe I can hear it but most people probably wont notice!
The difference may be the intercooler. The Mountune intercooler is much larger than stock. So maybe it has something to do with the system holding more air mass.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
The difference may be the intercooler. The Mountune intercooler is much larger than stock. So maybe it has something to do with the system holding more air mass.
Gonna send you a DM, debating on IC set ups right now! lol

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Mine came as part of the Mountune B3 package. No doubt, the quality of the piece is 100% better than the crappy plastic OEM unit it replaced. The install was pretty easy. You will not notice any sound or performance change with this alone.
Agree 100%, it's a longevity mod nothing more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll just throw in my 2 cent since I installed one over the wkend. It helps if you have really long needle nose pliers. I just had the stand length one and I had a tough time with squeezing the clamp that holds the hoses. But over all it was easy all you need is T30 torx bit, long needle nose pliers and everything else you should have already. And what everyone is saying on this thread is 100% correct after you take off the stock POS you will think to yourself, I'm glad I upgraded.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts