Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I recently installed the Mountune oil cooler and while I like the fact it doesn’t use a sandwich plate, it’s fit wasn’t the best for what I was expecting from Mountune.
    So the first issue I ran into was the base plate to bumper support mounting holes didn’t line up very well. I had so slide the nut between the base of the cooler and top of the support in order to get it to start threading.
    Once I got that mounted, the next issue was the cooler adapter housing that replaces the factory oil filter housing. It is a very nicely made piece and easy to put on, however the upper hose connection is angled up and out, and causes the hose to be in a bad spot for fitting. There’s a wire harness mount right above it that the hose hits into. In my opinion, it doesn’t need to be angled up and out just put. I had to remove the wire harness mount, install the hose, bend the mount then reinstall the wiring.
    After all that, I get the car running and find a leak. I contacted Mountune and they sent me new o-rings which I installed and that fixed the issue.
    All said and done it does the job, but again I wasn’t happy with the fit of it. I haven’t had a chance to track test it yet, but under normal driving, I have noticed a slightly cooler looking temp on the dash gauge. I will be doing a track day soon and hopefully can give some better data on it’s cooling abilities.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Interested to hear how it does in a hot trackday.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interested in hearing about your track data, I was considering this oil cooler for my ST when they initially offered it through the Mountune UK site. Glad to see its now available through the USA store. i have Mountune's tube & fin FMIC & triple pass radiator (plus all hoses, etc.) which required some minor PITA "adjustments" during installation but look & performed great when all was said and done. I'm wondering if the USA store is offering the same one or if its slight different design:

https://www.mountunestore.com/collections/mk3-focus-rs/products/mk3-focus-rs-oil-cooler-kit

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
  1. I recently installed the Mountune oil cooler and while I like the fact it doesn’t use a sandwich plate, it’s fit wasn’t the best for what I was expecting from Mountune. View attachment 337998 So the first issue I ran into was the base plate to bumper support mounting holes didn’t line up very well. I had so slide the nut between the base of the cooler and top of the support in order to get it to start threading. View attachment 337999 Once I got that mounted, the next issue was the cooler adapter housing that replaces the factory oil filter housing. It is a very nicely made piece and easy to put on, however the upper hose connection is angled up and out, and causes the hose to be in a bad spot for fitting. There’s a wire harness mount right above it that the hose hits into. In my opinion, it doesn’t need to be angled up and out just put. I had to remove the wire harness mount, install the hose, bend the mount then reinstall the wiring. View attachment 338000 After all that, I get the car running and find a leak. I contacted Mountune and they sent me new o-rings which I installed and that fixed the issue. View attachment 338001 All said and done it does the job, but again I wasn’t happy with the fit of it. I haven’t had a chance to track test it yet, but under normal driving, I have noticed a slightly cooler looking temp on the dash gauge. I will be doing a track day soon and hopefully can give some better data on it’s cooling abilities.
From the perspective of someone thats been doing this kind of stuff for 50 years the fit up issues are pretty much a non event. Its about as good as it gets for aftermarket stuff. I know sometimes it all fits up perfectly but from what you have shown apart from the leak I'd rate it a 9.8 out of 10.You need to remember that the car is mass produced and has its tolerances and also there are sometimes small production variations after the aftermarket manufacturer has done their design work and prototyping.
I was about to say you wont see any oil temp indication differences because the oil temp is not a direct reading indicator but an assumed reading from the ecu but then again if now you have separated the cooling system from the oil system and gone to a oil to air cooler the water temp may now be lower and the ecu will now do its oil temp calculation using cooler water temps.

Ciao

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree on the tolerances on mass produced vehicles, I just wanted to share my experiences with it. I’ve also had ebay Honda parts that fit much better in comparison to the oil cooler. I’m sure some of my heartache is due to me trying to get it installed sooner then the time I allotted myself. The temp indications might just be a placebo effect too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the car to the track yesterday and according to the stock oil temp gauge it was running approximately 45 degrees cooler, however it was also only 60 degrees ambient air temperature out.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I took the car to the track yesterday and according to the stock oil temp gauge it was running approximately 45 degrees cooler, however it was also only 60 degrees ambient air temperature out.
Not sure if that oil temp reading is now accurate since its an inferred reading based on the coolant temp. Now that the oil cooling is completely independent of the coolant, I have a feeling that the temperature difference you saw was the "offset" created by the coolant no longer having to cool the oil. Do you happen to have a spot to add a oil temp sensor on the new Mountune oil cooler adapter plate? That would probably give a much more accurate reading.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There isn’t any additional spots to add a temp sensor however I did find this,
I can add this in line with the hoses and add a temp sensor. There’s also two threaded plugs on the block that another forum member used through a series of adapters to add an oil temp sensor.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You can start chasing you're tail worrying about the oil temp now you've fitted the cooler. What are you going to monitor? bulk oil temp, cooler inlet temp? cooler outlet temp? oil gallery to the head temp? The oil temp in all engines will vary wildly depending on the point in the system. Some engines have oil cooling galleries around the exhaust ports and the local temp there is massively different to the bulk oil temp.I guess what I'm saying the OP has done all that's realistically possible on a road car within the confines of the available real estate. If it were a dedicated track car then you might get more involved but you'd also have a few more options.
Personally I'd like to know what the oil cooler inlet temp on the track is but what are you going do if its still too high.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
There isn’t any additional spots to add a temp sensor however I did find this,
I can add this in line with the hoses and add a temp sensor.
Interesting, never seen those type of AN fitting before. Definitely would have been handy for my last oil cooler build. Thanks!

You can start chasing you're tail worrying about the oil temp now you've fitted the cooler. What are you going to monitor? bulk oil temp, cooler inlet temp? cooler outlet temp? oil gallery to the head temp? The oil temp in all engines will vary wildly depending on the point in the system.
I guess what I'm saying the OP has done all that's realistically possible on a road car within the confines of the available real estate. If it were a dedicated track car then you might get more involved but you'd also have a few more options.
Agreed. I made the suggestion mostly out of curiosity and knowing that some sandwich plates/adapter plates usually have an extra port for such things.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
You can start chasing you're tail worrying about the oil temp now you've fitted the cooler. What are you going to monitor? bulk oil temp, cooler inlet temp? cooler outlet temp? oil gallery to the head temp? The oil temp in all engines will vary wildly depending on the point in the system. Some engines have oil cooling galleries around the exhaust ports and the local temp there is massively different to the bulk oil temp.I guess what I'm saying the OP has done all that's realistically possible on a road car within the confines of the available real estate. If it were a dedicated track car then you might get more involved but you'd also have a few more options.
Personally I'd like to know what the oil cooler inlet temp on the track is but what are you going do if its still too high.

Ciao
When I tracked my Subaru, I had a temp sensor going into the cooler off the sandwich plate, and one going out of the cooler going back into the sandwich plate. to make any real determination if my oil cooler was working enough. Now this is where my ingenuity came in. I had identical sensors. on each side, but only one gauge, So I would run a few laps with the gauge plugged into the sensor on the feed going into the cooler, then swap it to the feed on the side going back to the engine, I'd use that to determine if any difference in temps were had. Worked like charm for me. May not for others but it gave me an idea of how well temps were. I also did that with oil pressure as well (bc Subaru was know for the oiling issue) I was always very nervous with my engine and the oiling system, I think I am just as bad with this car but I don't nearly track it as much as I did my subie.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
When I tracked my Subaru, I had a temp sensor going into the cooler off the sandwich plate, and one going out of the cooler going back into the sandwich plate. to make any real determination if my oil cooler was working enough. Now this is where my ingenuity came in. I had identical sensors. on each side, but only one gauge, So I would run a few laps with the gauge plugged into the sensor on the feed going into the cooler, then swap it to the feed on the side going back to the engine, I'd use that to determine if any difference in temps were had. Worked like charm for me. May not for others but it gave me an idea of how well temps were. I also did that with oil pressure as well (bc Subaru was know for the oiling issue) I was always very nervous with my engine and the oiling system, I think I am just as bad with this car but I don't nearly track it as much as I did my subie.
I have a similar configuration (2 sensors, 1 gauge) in a different car. I used an electrical switch mounted in the cabin to go between one or the other.

Reactions: Focus112
1 - 12 of 12 Posts