Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COBB Accessport V3 ECU Flasher - Ford Focus RS

$675

Would like your opinions, reviews and especially if anyone has applied this kit to their RS.

Mountune claims this will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

I have a '17 RS with the only mod being a K&N dry filter plus removing the plastic cover on the right front of the car (for more cold intake to the inter-cooler)

This is my "Company" car and is still under factory warranty so drive ability is a factor (really? No, not really :) )

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ford installed that plastic cover for a reason....just saying. Do some research on why it's there and why they say not to remove it. Mountune makes some good products though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford installed that plastic cover for a reason....just saying. Do some research on why it's there and why they say no to remove it. Mountune makes some good products though.

They installed it for cold climates, freezing in the inter cooler.
Since I live in Houston TX, I don't think that is a concern ...
Thanks for replying!
Maurice

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ford installed that plastic cover for a reason....just saying. Do some research on why it's there and why they say no to remove it. Mountune makes some good products though.

Long story short it is used to limit the performance of the intercooler because in certain testing conditions (specifically humid climates) the the intercooler was producing condensation (moisture which you don't want to enter the intake). What I don't get is, for an aftermarket intercooler such as mountune or any of the other ones, wouldn't they potentially have that same problem of producing condensation in humid climates as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long story short it is used to limit the performance of the intercooler because in certain testing conditions (specifically humid climates) the the intercooler was producing condensation (moisture which you don't want to enter the intake). What I don't get is, for an aftermarket intercooler such as mountune or any of the other ones, wouldn't they potentially have that same problem of producing condensation in humid climates as well?
Damn good question. I have been running without it now for several months and have not experienced any ill effects, however, I wonder over the long term if damage will occur.
I think in the Houston heat, the condensation would soon evaporate but that is just my biased opinion ...
Thank-You for responding!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CarGuyNeil: Can you elaborate a bit further on this? I still have the cover so reinstalling it would not be an issue.
What is your theroy?
Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
In Australia there are very humid areas (Queensland) where people have removed it, had their cars for years, and have had no issues.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Ford papers are available online which talk in detail about this issue. One thing which is easily understood by me is :
As a car manufacturer you will complete and 110% validate test at a level that few companies have the cash to do. These are called FMEAs. Failure Mode Effect Analysis . What this means , is insane extreme environments. Take the cover off and reap what little benefits are to be had.

·
Registered
635 Posts

I asked the same question when I spoke to my FMIC manufacturer. It was explained that aftermarket parts have a different spec and their designs prevents this condensation effect. If you have a look at the inlet and outlet you will see a difference as well.

My IC has no condensation issue and I live in a climate where humidity can reach 100%. Tonight the weather gods are a bit more generous and the humidity level is lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford papers are available online which talk in detail about this issue. One thing which is easily understood by me is :
As a car manufacturer you will complete and 110% validate test at a level that few companies have the cash to do. These are called FMEAs. Failure Mode Effect Analysis . What this means , is insane extreme environments. Take the cover off and reap what little benefits are to be had.
Shimmer: I have felt a little bit more ooph from removing the plastic cover and the K&N dry air filter (maybe subjective). Every bit helps when you are beside a late model Mustang GT :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
COBB Accessport V3 ECU Flasher - Ford Focus RS

$675

Would like your opinions, reviews and especially if anyone has applied this kit to their RS.

Mountune claims this will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

I have a '17 RS with the only mod being a K&N dry filter plus removing the plastic cover on the right front of the car (for more cold intake to the inter-cooler)

This is my "Company" car and is still under factory warranty so drive ability is a factor (really? No, not really :) )

Thanks!
Just to bring this discussion back to your original question: Yes, a Cobb AP is probably one of the better "bang for your buck" modifications you can make to the car. Driveability-wise, you can expect touchier/more sensitive/linear throttle control and more "oomph" depending on your local fuel availability. I would say 90% of the folks here that say they are "tuned" have the Cobb AP.

You can get this item from Cobb directly or any of the online tuners that support our vehicle (ie Mountune, Stratified, JST, Tune+, etc.) or even locally if you have one (I believe Tune+ is based in Texas). Only benefit you get from purchasing from these specific tuning shops is that you would typically get a custom tune along with the purchase, so if you do buy direct from Cobb, you are only able to use their OTS (off the shelf) tune and would still need to pay extra to any of the mentioned tuners for a custom tune.

Be forewarned, the dealer will be able to tell if the car has been flashed, so just be aware that this can possibly void your warranty, depending on what your issue is. That said, do some research, find a tuner you like, buy Cobb AP from them and get a tune from them, install, flash and enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to bring this discussion back to your original question: Yes, a Cobb AP is probably one of the better "bang for your buck" modifications you can make to the car. Driveability-wise, you can expect touchier/more sensitive/linear throttle control and more "oomph" depending on your local fuel availability. I would say 90% of the folks here that say they are "tuned" have the Cobb AP.

You can get this item from Cobb directly or any of the online tuners that support our vehicle (ie Mountune, Stratified, JST, Tune+, etc.) or even locally if you have one (I believe Tune+ is based in Texas). Only benefit you get from purchasing from these specific tuning shops is that you would typically get a custom tune along with the purchase, so if you do buy direct from Cobb, you are only able to use their OTS (off the shelf) tune and would still need to pay extra to any of the mentioned tuners for a custom tune.

Be forewarned, the dealer will be able to tell if the car has been flashed, so just be aware that this can possibly void your warranty, depending on what your issue is. That said, do some research, find a tuner you like, buy Cobb AP from them and get a tune from them, install, flash and enjoy!
BigFlapFlip:
Wise advise.
Thank-You so much!!
Maurice

·
Registered
152 Posts

Can they tell even if you set it back to stock when you're giving it to them to service/do warranty work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Grumpy:
Some Ford Dealers will do every thing they can to void warranty repairs if they can.
The K&N dry filter is one mod they will honor.
Everything else, you pay your money and take your chances ... :-{

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've got a dream science handset, they claim it's undetectable. I doubt it - is any handset tune detectable?
Trust me , every single ecu used today has report which counts flash. What this means is even when u remove battery and kill the KAM set this triggers a count record. Every single dealership can easily trace these in seconds. Trust me waste of everyone’s time thinking anything else.
I’ve been doing cars for decades and I won’t ever give my car up for warranty work. Here’s why:
1.Fact is I will probably do a better job
2. If I’ve done any mods whatsoever I will never expect Ford to give me parts when and if I give them anything other than what I bought new and 100% oem. Truly think about what I said , how can u honestly ask if it isn’t 100% the same. Period .
3. The horrid experience alone should be motivation for most to better understand in detail what u bough and what u need to maintain. You learn by failure not by being scared to try. Ask anyone who shreds at mechanical traits if they ever failed or sucked. All the best ones will share their own lessons learned . Now go wrench. 😁

1 - 20 of 38 Posts