Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this noise happens on a cold start, at about 1300rpm.

you'll hear as the video goes on and the rpms reduce as the engine gets warmer the noise disappears.

·
Registered
441 Posts
not exclusive to the Mountune intake, but any filter that makes the intake side more open. as a result of the open right of the filter (that's capped on the stock filter) more noise will come through.

Also on top of all of this if you switch to a fully open intake you (like me) may also end up hearing turbine noise (wind up) 4k and up on heavy boost. slightly reminiscent of the sound of a supercharger whine, but much more faint and higher speed/pitched that clearly changes with turbine speed.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What the hell is the little bit sticking up from the plastic engine cover?

Reactions: TheDivaDanielle

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
but what is it filtering? Benefits? I feel like I follow all new parts to try and learn something. I don't remember seeing that though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
but what is it filtering? Benefits? I feel like I follow all new parts to try and learn something. I don't remember seeing that though.
It allows excess crank case pressure to be released. Not a big deal unless you are making a lot of power or have a lot of boost "blow-by" getting past your rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this noise happens on a cold start, at about 1300rpm.

you'll hear as the video goes on and the rpms reduce as the engine gets warmer the noise disappears.

Thanks for this post!

I juat test drove a 2016 yesterday and it did the same thing. Also has an aftermarket cold air intake.

So it's nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have an aftermarket cold air intake and I kept the SSC in the box.
I love the sound. The whistle gives a bit more personality to the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Thanks for this post!

I juat test drove a 2016 yesterday and it did the same thing. Also has an aftermarket cold air intake.

So it's nothing to worry about?
It's normal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adam Potenza
1 - 12 of 12 Posts