Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awsome im going to do this today....i remember getting so frustrated trying to get those prongs to hook that i think i got one in and just left the other.....thanks again man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Good luck! This should really help and I'm sure you will get it into correct position.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the FoST I believe Pro-Alloy has made / is still making? the tube & fin FMIC for Mountune UK . Not sure who made it for Mountune USA. I know the T&F was covered under the Ford Performance 3/36K warranty and can be found in their catalog. I notice the bar & plate is not being sold through Ford Performance, perhaps because the air flow is not as good as a tube and fin which could potentially cause radiator cooling issues, etc. which would trigger a warranty claim denial for not meeting OEM specs.

This is the FMIC they have for the RS directly from Pro-Alloy:

Focus RS MK3 Intercooler

Focus RS MK2 Intercooler - Big Power

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not the exact same but very similar. Mountune UK sells their V2 intercooler, while Mountune USA is still selling the V1. Mounting should still be the same. The main difference is that the UK's V2 is a "tube and fin" design while the USA's V1 is a "bar and plate" design. Many people seem to prefer the bar and plate design over the tube and fin design anyway (which may be why USA didn't opt to start selling the version 2 that the UK is selling). And not sure why UK decided to make that change if people generally like bar and plate better. For the most part tube and fin weighs less while bar and plate is heavier. But the bar and plate is more durable for front mount where it is likely to get hit with rocks from the road.
Mounting definitely different between the two versions. The UK V2 uses the USDM upper duct diverter anchor holes for mounting vs our upper radiator tabs. The V2 also slopes above the front bumper bar which will not clear the front bumper plastic cover. I think the Misho FMIC has a nice upper support design that uses anchor straps to the tabs so clearance is not an issue for the wider IC.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did you have to use a jack to support anything ?
No need. The lower brace was still supporting the AC condenser and radiator within the slack. Whoever posts the next YT help video should definitely include this step. It's a lifesaver. Even did it by myself with the IC on my lap. A helping hand would speed it up for sure though.
While you don't have to use a jack, I'm the paranoid type, so I used my jack as "insurance" since I was doing this by myself.

But yeah, I called Eric over at Mountune and he had one of their techs actually walk me through finding the bolts to lower the radiator, and warned me to be careful about those little black aligning tabs. Was super helpful.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I found there was more room on the sides by removing the brake ducts too, but looks like you were able to leave them in place.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found there was more room on the sides by removing the brake ducts too, but looks like you were able to leave them in place.
Yeah, it may have been slightly easier if I had removed them. But after trying forever to get it on without dropping the radiator, actually dropping it made it ridiculously easy. So it didn't even dawn on me to remove anything else.

·
Registered
87 Posts
While you don't have to use a jack, I'm the paranoid type, so I used my jack as "insurance" since I was doing this by myself.
View attachment 341270

But yeah, I called Eric over at Mountune and he had one of their techs actually walk me through finding the bolts to lower the radiator, and warned me to be careful about those little black aligning tabs. Was super helpful.
Wait so its the same two bolts on each side that Norcal posted pics of right?....also is the radiator going to slowly drop as you unscrew the bolts?
We’re not suppose to unscrew it fully, just enough so it drops but is still hanging on by a few threads, right?.....sorry i know these are probably dumb newb questions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wait so its the same two bolts on each side that Norcal posted pics of right?....also is the radiator going to slowly drop as you unscrew the bolts?
We’re not suppose to unscrew it fully, just enough so it drops but is still hanging on by a few threads, right?.....sorry i know these are probably dumb newb questions.
No need to apologize. It was a learning experience for me as well. You are correct in that you only need to drop if a tiny bit (probably around 0.25" or so). What I did was make sure the radiator was supported by the jack, then I actually completely removed those bolts on the sides (the ones you referenced). If you lay on your back and look straight up, you'll be able to see the bolts @NorCal_RS was talking about. So after I completely removed the bolts, I SLOWLY lowered the jack just a tiny bit. You also want to be careful about lowering it past the little black aligning tabs I mentioned. This is what I'm talking about:

There's one on each side of the radiator. If you drop it too low where the little plastic tube comes out the bottom, it is supposedly a bit of a pain to line it up again. I didn't have to drop it that much, so the tube was still in the hole. You can see you shouldn't have to drop it that much. Then, once I had the intercooler in, I just jacked it back up and bolted it back up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awsome....thanks for clearing that up. Im going to attempt this within the next day or two.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh and lastly, are there any clearance issues with the ic and the jack being there?....im guessing it simply just slides up and hooks in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Oh and lastly, are there any clearance issues with the ic and the jack being there?....im guessing it simply just slides up and hooks in.
Nope, no clearance issues. It simply slides right into the slot it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Si2RS: Interesting that you had 1 bolt per side; the lower brace has 2 holes and on the driver side with the harness, I had 2 bolts in place. One the passenger side, there was only 1 bolt in the frame (Front). I was wondering if I got caught on a shift change and the new guy missed it! safridi22- don't freak out if you have a different arrangement as long as you have 1 per side ;) Have a great Memorial Day guys!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Si2RS: Interesting that you had 1 bolt per side; the lower brace has 2 holes and on the driver side with the harness, I had 2 bolts in place. One the passenger side, there was only 1 bolt in the frame (Front). I was wondering if I got caught on a shift change and the new guy missed it! safridi22- don't freak out if you have a different arrangement as long as you have 1 per side ;) Have a great Memorial Day guys!
You can totally be right about that. Keep in mind I did this about 2 year ago. Haha! But the take away message is the same. I completely unbolted it while supporting it with the jack.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts