Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All:
Hope everyone is in good health during these stressful times. With all this time at home now, I decided to tackle installing my FMIC myself based on the various YT content and posts.
The bumper removal and OE IC removal has gone smoothly and I thought this was going great...

I've run into a problem: I can't get the new IC to fit into the plastic upper retaining clips, especially the passenger side.
I have removed the extra plastic bumper rail for a tiny bit more room to try to rotate the IC down and up into the clips, but the width of the Mountune unit is simply too thick. The drivers side seems to slide up and into the tabs fine, but when I move to the passenger side, there is simply no room. Also, I assume the bottom bracket with the welded nut retainer is supposed to sit on TOP of the frame tab, not below it? Would be crazy to "hang" the IC vs sitting it on the frame tabs. I will note that this unit is SO much heavier than the OE unit. Hopefully it's worth the headache.

Any suggestions from you bright guys would be most appreciated!

Stay safe,
Steve

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
HAHA -this took me a frustrating 45 minutes. All i can say is i kept trying, and wiggling it around, and it eventually just went in. But as i was doing it i said there is no way this thing fits.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I said and called it a day. Beer time lol! Glad to know this is a bugger and its not me!
I did send Mountune a email and Eric wrote back saying it helps to loosen the lower radiator support. Genius.
I am looking at the Ford Work Manual to see what that is and how to loosen it. I will post updates if I figure it out, otherwise more wiggling! Thanks for the encouragement! The IC does sit on top of the lower tabs right?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
That's exactly what I said and called it a day. Beer time lol! Glad to know this is a bugger and its not me!
I did send Mountune a email and Eric wrote back saying it helps to loosen the lower radiator support. Genius.
I am looking at the Ford Work Manual to see what that is and how to loosen it. I will post updates if I figure it out, otherwise more wiggling! Thanks for the encouragement! The IC does sit on top of the lower tabs right?
I cant really remember as its been a couple years. I do remember it helps to sit facing the car with your legs under the engine. Then you can rest the intercooler on your thighs while you are working it in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LMAO! I was in that exact position forever. So you did it yourself too? I'm going to bribe someone to help this weekend. It will give me time to figure out how to loosen the lower radiator support this week!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
LMAO! I was in that exact position forever. So you did it yourself too? I'm going to bribe someone to help this weekend. It will give me time to figure out how to loosen the lower radiator support this week!
Yes, by myself. I feel like one of the tabs might have bent a little bit which made it easier to finally get it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loosening the lower radiator support is the way I did it, seems impossible otherwise. I would get a second set of hands to help or bring over the jack for a little bit of support once you loosen it. My lower rad support was hanging on by about 2 threads so I had to be quick about it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you recall where the bolts are for the lower support? Is the radiator essentially hanging by the freon lines when lowered off the supports? I will try the jack to support the rad during this as I am not expecting the IC it to simply slide in lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excuse the poor image but here is a picture of the support. If you're laying on your back you will see the bolts at either end of the lower support.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Not sure if this is the same intercooler or if the US version mounts differently, just happened to have seen this video recently.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if this is the same intercooler or if the US version mounts differently, just happened to have seen this video recently.

Not the exact same but very similar. Mountune UK sells their V2 intercooler, while Mountune USA is still selling the V1. Mounting should still be the same. The main difference is that the UK's V2 is a "tube and fin" design while the USA's V1 is a "bar and plate" design. Many people seem to prefer the bar and plate design over the tube and fin design anyway (which may be why USA didn't opt to start selling the version 2 that the UK is selling). And not sure why UK decided to make that change if people generally like bar and plate better. For the most part tube and fin weighs less while bar and plate is heavier. But the bar and plate is more durable for front mount where it is likely to get hit with rocks from the road.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Not the exact same but very similar. Mountune UK sells their V2 intercooler, while Mountune USA is still selling the V1. Mounting should still be the same. The main difference is that the UK's V2 is a "tube and fin" design while the USA's V1 is a "bar and plate" design. Many people seem to prefer the bar and plate design over the tube and fin design anyway (which may be why USA didn't opt to start selling the version 2 that the UK is selling). And not sure why UK decided to make that change if people generally like bar and plate better. For the most part tube and fin weighs less while bar and plate is heavier. But the bar and plate is more durable for front mount where it is likely to get hit with rocks from the road.
Actually, Mountune originally sold the tube and fin type intercooler here in the US, but some folks have had issues with it "balooning", hence the switch to this bar and plate design I thought.

Just posted the video since it sounded like the same mounting as the OP described.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually, Mountune originally sold the tube and fin type intercooler here in the US, but some folks have had issues with it "balooning", hence the switch to this bar and plate design I thought.

Just posted the video since it sounded like the same mounting as the OP described.
Interesting. Looks like their part numbers between the UK and USA companies are a little off. The intercooler from USA is part number 2536-ic-BA2 (implying BA1 was the tube and fin version they used to sell). The intercooler from the UK is part number 2536-ic-CA (you would think CA would be the next revision after BA). Normally their part revisions start with an AA, then go to BA for version 2, then CA for a version 3.

From your link to that other thread post, it sounds like Mountune USA made their revision without working with or any input from Mountune UK since people overhere were seeing that ballooning the post talks about. Maybe that is why they just called their update BA2 and made it a bar and plate design. Maybe at some point down the line Mountune UK saw a revision did need to be made, but kept it as a tube and fin and gave it a CA part number.

Who knows. Mountune UK and USA don't seem to talk very much. I've tried to reach out to them on a few occasions with questions about differences between a part that both the UK and USA sells and if there were any differences with part numbers. Responses I received from both is that they are not familiar with the other's products and they couldn't help.

·
Registered
403 Posts
OP - I'm not sure if this will help your specific install problem, but when I installed my Mountune V2 IC (replacing the ballooned V1 . . . ) I had to slightly bend down the tab on the intercooler to get it to slide into the prong on the car. Then I tapped the tab back up so that it was fully engaged.

Good luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know how that would help because the upper tab won't clear the plastic retainer on the upper radiator brace.
I am going to try and loosen the lower radiator brace as suggested and try to slide it into place without bending the tabs. Looking at the UK version, that would mount up in a second as it simply connects into the upper US duct deflector holes that are abandoned with the new IC. Appreciate all the help guys! Going to look the lower support tonight and will post any discoveries. It is a really nice IC, but it is noticeably heavier and bigger. Should help for upgrades down the line.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bent the tab using a 90-deg needle nose plyers I got from Harbor Freight, then bent the tab back to shape once I got it in place. I didn't physically see a way to do this any other way to do this without removing a bunch more stuff that may/may not help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eric at Mountune said that loosening the lower support brace is the way to install it. Funny that nobody on YT shows this process; they just force it over the tab. I was worried I would rupture a freon line behind the IC.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Installed! The key is to simply drop the lower radiator support brace as low as possible on both sides.
Super easy to do (driver side has a harness in the way but simply unclip from the frame for access to the bolts.
Lower both sides to the last few threads (you can peek thru the frame to see how much is left) and suddenly there is just enough clearance to slide the IC under both tabs and rest onto the lower frame tabs. One other suggestion is to remove the front bumper rail plastic cover to create additional room. I put it back on reinstall along with the upper air diverter to black out the nose opening. I actually bent the driver side lower tab trying to force it in and had to bend it back down once in place so I could thread the lower bolt, so check your mounting tabs if you tried brute force first...
A few pics of the frame to drop that makes the install so much easier.

Thanks again for all the comments, and stay safe!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No need. The lower brace was still supporting the AC condenser and radiator within the slack. Whoever posts the next YT help video should definitely include this step. It's a lifesaver. Even did it by myself with the IC on my lap. A helping hand would speed it up for sure though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts