Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have anybody try using the Motul 5w50. I was looking for something other than the Motorcraft, and I felt that redline is a bit too thick for the winter weather in the northeast. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ford 5w-50 Viscosity:
cSt @100°C 21.0
cSt @ 40°C 136
cP @ -30°C 5900

Redline 5w-50: Viscosity
cSt @ 100°C 21.0
cSt @ 40°C 130
cP @ -30°C 6000

Redline is pretty much identical to the motorcraft 5w-50 so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't want to get into it here, but there are lots of oil threads. My interpretation of the manual is that API SN is the minimum to satisfy warranty requirements while Ford's standard is preferred.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, I get that, just stating the Mobil 1 doesn't meet or exceed the Ford WSS-M2C931-C. Neither does the Motul oil, but I really don't care what anyone uses or likes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
FWIW Motul, Redline, Liquid Moly, for sure have compatibility searches for your car on their websites. I believe Mobil would be smart to have one too.

As I prefer Motul over the latter like the OP, I have searched on their site and there is NO compatible engine oil according to Motul. But you will be happy to know that the trans, PTU and RDU oil is on their list and I will be switching to them in the spring.

But that's my preference as is anyone elses to put unapproved oil in their cars if they prefer. ?

As a side note, the API SN category is higher than the API SM category and API SM is NOT compatible, according to Ford.

In the end, use what you want, it's your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have anybody try using the Motul 5w50. I was looking for something other than the Motorcraft, and I felt that redline is a bit too thick for the winter weather in the northeast. Thanks
Motul oil is using by many Turing racers with turbo engines, certification is what additives and how long oil maintains its chemical stability. Motul oil I would not recommend to use for more than 5-6k miles and if you load engine to the max quite often even less as additives will brake out much earlier than Motorcraft (more stable oil), but Modul is much better oil to begin with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have stayed w/ the Motorcraft because I bought a maintenance agreement along w/extended warrenty. When my service agreement is up I plan to go with Amsoil. Their lubricants are specific and they are very helpful in helping you come up w/the appropriate one for your application. They perform very well too. I use the Motul dot 4 brake fluid and am VERY happy w/that.
Also, would you believe that warrenty covers struts but NOT shocks; my rear SHOCKS are beginning to weep and I have not been able to find an OEM replacement. I am not interested in lowering or softening the suspension. Darth is box stock & my daily driver so I'm not interested in all the wonderful stuff many of you re doing to your cars but I'd love to run w/you sometime to see how badly I'd get blown off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Between the wrecked ones and heavily modified ones, yours will be worth more one day, I would not feel bad about keeping it stock. Buy a dime a dozen car like a mustang if you want to modify.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have stayed w/ the Motorcraft because I bought a maintenance agreement along w/extended warrenty. When my service agreement is up I plan to go with Amsoil. Their lubricants are specific and they are very helpful in helping you come up w/the appropriate one for your application. They perform very well too.
Also, would you believe that warrenty covers struts but NOT shocks; my rear SHOCKS are beginning to weep and I have not been able to find an OEM replacement. I am not interested in lowering or softening the suspension.
Amsoil is one of the 4 oils (Lucas, Castrol supercar, and Motorcraft) specifically meeting the Ford WSS-M2C931-C spec.

As far as the rear shocks, what do you mean you can't find them? They are out of stock or something? Shocks & Components for 2018 Ford Focus | TascaParts.com I'm one of the weird ones that agrees with you, and I love the stock suspension. I did go aftermarket swaybar though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Amsoil is one of the 4 oils (Lucas, Castrol supercar, and Motorcraft) specifically meeting the Ford WSS-M2C931-C spec.

As far as the rear shocks, what do you mean you can't find them? They are out of stock or something? Shocks & Components for 2018 Ford Focus | TascaParts.com I'm one of the weird ones that agrees with you, and I love the stock suspension. I did go aftermarket swaybar though.
Thanks, but I don't think any of those are RS shocks...they are all "W/O AWD". The RS shocks have dual damping rate with an input at the top of the shock.
Between the wrecked ones and heavily modified ones, yours will be worth more one day, I would not feel bad about keeping it stock. Buy a dime a dozen car like a mustang if you want to modify.
Thanks, Nismo...as much as I love my RS I miss my ST....I preferred the variable ratio and the DT just seemed to me to be more, how should I say, "URGENT". I am a happy camper w/ the RS....especially when I get to surprise some innocent with how capable this car is at the track . Still seem to be a few around who don't realize that "it ain't,t just a Focus". I especially enjoyed out braking a Camen S who was just a smidge faster than me at the end of each straight. WHAT FUN!!!
DARTH!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks, but I don't think any of those are RS shocks...they are all "W/O AWD". The RS shocks have dual damping rate with an input at the top of the shock.

Thanks, Nismo...as much as I love my RS I miss my ST....I preferred the variable ratio and the DT just seemed to me to be more, how should I say, "URGENT". I am a happy camper w/ the RS....especially when I get to surprise some innocent with how capable this car is at the track . Still seem to be a few around who don't realize that "it ain't,t just a Focus". I especially enjoyed out braking a Camen S who was just a smidge faster than me at the end of each straight. WHAT FUN!!!
DARTH!
This is an oil thread, but I am interested in your situation. Do you have an extended warranty from Ford and they won't cover bad shocks??

·
Registered
241 Posts
Maybe the link didn't work right? Keep scrolling for the with awd RS dampers. They are much pricier due to two position.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Disappointing ford wont take care of you. My understanding was the extended warranty was bumper to bumper. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts