Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
This is the most concerning part of the review to me:

"At 2.0 turns lock to lock, the steering is very fast, but it’s also entirely devoid of feel. Unless you count torque steer, which seems to show up at strange times when the electric power steering gets a half-beat behind in canceling the lateral forces on the front wheels. The cable-actuated shifter is precise enough that you’ll never miss a shift, but it has long, ropy throws, and like other Focuses, the engine hangs onto revs during shifts to “help” you shift more smoothly into the next gear. I wish it could be switched off, as it just makes the whole experience inconsistent.

But the dominant impression is that the AWD system delivers speed, not stupidity. The RS is very fast–but in that modern-car deceiving way. It’s shocking how civilized 350 hp feels in what is effectively a factory-tuned economy car. A 155-hp Mazda Miata is much slower but feels more on the ragged edge. The RS delivers plenty of speed but not quite the visceral, tail-out, you’d-better-be-on-your-game thrill that lunatics like me find so intoxicating."
If he puts it in "Track" mode and turns off any other electronic nannies he should be happy, either that or get an early Viper ( 2003 or earlier) LOL :snowman: :saturn::snowman:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
first i've heard of long ropy shifts or devoid of any connection to the road. no matter what this will be such an upgrade for me I dont know why I keep reading all these nitpicking comments lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quoting myself from the all in one thread:

Not sure what to think of the Motor Trend review... It sounds like they picked the wrong person to test drive the car. I never understand people who say a car is boring on the road but a riot on the track... maybe they're just a boring driver themselves on the road if they can't coax some excitement from the car. To me this just says that it does commuting as well as track days.

EDIT: Call me an irresponsible driver, but I've always been able to find some fun in any car I've driven. My mom had a 1997 BMW 318i that, while underpowered, was fun to try to induce some rotation with a Scandinavian flick. My wife's car is an exercise in smooth, precise cornering because the transmission is so awful you want to hold onto as much speed as possible without making the drive too uncivilized for your passengers. The Camaro SS took a lot of getting used to for me to get a feel for the dimensions (It felt bigger to me than it actually was) and required a balanced flick towards the apex of a corner combined with some slightly zealous throttle application to induce a modest, sustainable slide without letting the back end get away from you. It was actually a very rewarding car to drive hard. The S2000, while exciting to drive, can be a little unpredictable on the limit at speed, and so I'm wary of taking high speed corners too near the edge. I'm hoping that the Focus RS feels a lot more stable near the limit in high speed corners and the rain so I feel comfortable exploring its limits when there isn't any traffic around or driveways along the road.

Sounds to me like this reviewer has one or two kinds of cars he likes... Anything different he doesn't know how to search out its strengths to appreciate.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This reviewer has a recent beef with steering feel that he expands on in a head to head video with randy pobst sitting next to him. Pretty sure it's the latest Mustang v Camaro video on their YouTube channel. He raises some fair points. It's less of a critique of any particular vehicle, more of a comment about how steering feel has evolved in recent years

·
Registered
237 Posts
Damn Damn Damn Damn!

"Inside the cabin, about a third of the engine sound you hear is noise played through the stereo speakers. It sounds good—an inoffensive, muffled moo—but the music coming from the exhaust pipes is deep, aggressive, and awesome"

No mechanical symposer like in the ST. Hopefully it'll just be a fuse removal like the EB Poostang

·
Registered
306 Posts
The drug analogy is really clunky, but it does make more sense on a second read. I like the inference that the RS drive is about the journey rather than the destination, using hi tech tricks to enhance your engagement with the experience, rather than dull the interaction through intrusive systems

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Damn Damn Damn Damn!

"Inside the cabin, about a third of the engine sound you hear is noise played through the stereo speakers. It sounds good–an inoffensive, muffled moo–but the music coming from the exhaust pipes is deep, aggressive, and awesome"

No mechanical symposer like in the ST. Hopefully it'll jest be a fuse removal like the EB Poostang
We still haven't seen consensus on this topic. No, the Euro Spec model does not have a sound symposer. But there is a rumor out there (I have no idea if it is well-founded or not) proposing that the USDM model has the Sound Symposer instead of the speaker noise thing, but would have active noise cancelling just like the ST does. Since all of the press cars were Euro Spec cars, these reviews do nothing to confirm or debunk these rumors. I'm going to assume that they are false and hope that they are true.

Can we just call it the Boostang from now on? The abbreviation EB bothers me for some reason and typing out EcoBoost Mustang is really long-winded.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We still haven't seen consensus on this topic. No, the Euro Spec model does not have a sound symposer. But there is a rumor out there (I have no idea if it is well-founded or not) proposing that the USDM model has the Sound Symposer instead of the speaker noise thing, but would have active noise cancelling just like the ST does. Since all of the press cars were Euro Spec cars, these reviews do nothing to confirm or debunk these rumors. I'm going to assume that they are false and hope that they are true.

Can we just call it the Boostang from now on? The abbreviation EB bothers me for some reason and typing out EcoBoost Mustang is really long-winded.
Pumped through the stereo or mechanical like on the ST are both called a sound symposer/engine enhancement. The US will have the same. I seriously doubt Ford will make two different types. I'm sorry EB Mustang bothers you.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Pumped through the stereo or mechanical like on the ST are both called a sound symposer/engine enhancement. The US will have the same. I seriously doubt Ford will make two different types. I'm sorry EB Mustang bothers you.
To be pedantic, the feature that we're referring to is actually called "Electronic sound enhancement" per the EU Owner's Manual. I'm not trying to give credence to the rumor. I'm simply stating that it exists. I completely agree that it would make no sense to have two different variations depending on market, but I think the same thing about abandoning the already-developed Sound Symposer in favor of developing a digital system. So as I said before I'm going to assume that the rumor is baseless and quietly hope that it's correct.

·
Registered
237 Posts
To be pedantic, the feature that we're referring to is actually called "Electronic sound enhancement" per the EU Owner's Manual. I'm not trying to give credence to the rumor. I'm simply stating that it exists. I completely agree that it would make no sense to have two different variations depending on market, but I think the same thing about abandoning the already-developed Sound Symposer in favor of developing a digital system. So as I said before I'm going to assume that the rumor is baseless and quietly hope that it's correct.
Furthermore the mechanical symposer had many failures and issues. They failed constantly and would leave a underlying engine code. I'm sure that's why Ford went with the electronic version in the Mustang. That was the first thing I remove from my ST. The sound is ok for a while then gets old really quick

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Furthermore the mechanical symposer had many failures and issues. They failed constantly and would leave a underlying engine code. I'm sure that's why Ford went with the electronic version in the Mustang. That was the first thing I remove from my ST. The sound is ok for a while then gets old really quick
I didn't know that background about the ST. This decision makes a bit more sense, then. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is a really lame review, written by someone who could care less about getting the facts straight...he's more interested in showing his editors how "creative" a writer he is. His inane drug-culture references have no place in a motoring magazine, 'though I suspect that Rolling Stone ​would recognize this as dreck. Did you notice that he calls this a front-wheel-drive car on one occasion? Such an ass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't exactly like this review from this writer or his videos. Like someone else said, I'll wait til they get one here and let Randy Pobst whip it around a track.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

"At 2.0 turns lock to lock, the steering is very fast, but it’s also entirely devoid of feel. Unless you count torque steer, which seems to show up at strange times when the electric power steering gets a half-beat behind in canceling the lateral forces on the front wheels

Yes, that kind of stuck out. But later, on the track, he says that "...the steering response is instantaneous...." I wonder if he realized that the steering is programmed differently according to the chosen drive mode.

·
Registered
15 Posts

"At 2.0 turns lock to lock, the steering is very fast, but it’s also entirely devoid of feel. Unless you count torque steer, which seems to show up at strange times when the electric power steering gets a half-beat behind in canceling the lateral forces on the front wheels. The cable-actuated shifter is precise enough that you’ll never miss a shift, but it has long, ropy throws, and like other Focuses, the engine hangs onto revs during shifts to “help” you shift more smoothly into the next gear. I wish it could be switched off, as it just makes the whole experience inconsistent.

But the dominant impression is that the AWD system delivers speed, not stupidity. The RS is very fast–but in that modern-car deceiving way. It’s shocking how civilized 350 hp feels in what is effectively a factory-tuned economy car. A 155-hp Mazda Miata is much slower but feels more on the ragged edge. The RS delivers plenty of speed but not quite the visceral, tail-out, you’d-better-be-on-your-game thrill that lunatics like me find so intoxicating."
Just got my Motor Trend magazine today. What a bummer! Even if this is half-true, it makes me wonder if my RS that I ordered in November and is still unscheduled, is worth waiting for. Numb steering, ropey shifter and IMO, worst of all, an unexcusable Ford programed rev hang! Dammit! Why couldn't Subaru have built a hatchback to replace my ageing, and second, slightly modified WRX :(

21 - 40 of 47 Posts