Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
courtesy @FocusFred

Motorsport Mag just posted a 0-200 km/h run. From what I can tell things pretty much fall in line with 0-100 km/h happening in the mid-upper 4 second range and 0-200 km/h in the upper 18-low 19 second range. Couple things I noticed, it didn't seem like the RS hooked up as well initially in comparison to some other launches we've seen posted in the last few days; also, it seemed like there's some room for improvement in shift speeds. I would say the numbers that this video shows would probably be a good average mark but I also think there will be people out there who will be able to post better times (wasn't able to tell the tires either and that will have a big impact).

Watched a few other of Motorsport's 0-200 km/h vid's and would say the RS falls almost square between an Audi RS6 and Civic Type R for 0-200 km/h performance and is near identical to the Mercedes A45 video they posted for time. That in my opinion is very impressive for the price.

Motorsport ? Le site de l'automobile sportive

·
Registered
320 Posts
courtesy @FocusFred

Motorsport Mag just posted a 0-200 km/h run. From what I can tell things pretty much fall in line with 0-100 km/h happening in the mid-upper 4 second range and 0-200 km/h in the upper 18-low 19 second range. Couple things I noticed, it didn't seem like the RS hooked up as well initially in comparison to some other launches we've seen posted in the last few days; also, it seemed like there's some room for improvement in shift speeds. I would say the numbers that this video shows would probably be a good average mark but I also think there will be people out there who will be able to post better times (wasn't able to tell the tires either and that will have a big impact).

Watched a few other of Motorsport's 0-200 km/h vid's and would say the RS falls almost square between an Audi RS6 and Civic Type R for 0-200 km/h performance and is near identical to the Mercedes A45 video they posted for time. That in my opinion is very impressive for the price.

Motorsport ? Le site de l'automobile sportive
If the tires were cold, that hookup seems right. It's hard to tell what tires were on those cast wheels too. Anyone else find the speedo movement a bit odd? notice the speedo hang/hesitate before climbing after the clutch engaged with each shift? (Not during the shift, but when the gas gets put back on...especially at the 60 and 100)

·
Registered
96 Posts
If the tires were cold, that hookup seems right. It's hard to tell what tires were on those cast wheels too. Anyone else find the speedo movement a bit odd? notice the speedo hang/hesitate before climbing after the clutch engaged with each shift? (Not during the shift, but when the gas gets put back on...especially at the 60 and 100)
I think it has something to do with the refresh rate of the speed sensor as the speedometer needle does not seem very smooth. If you slow the video down to .25 x speed it almost looks like a mechanical watch beating away to a specific cycle. If the speed fluctuates greatly between the refresh cycle it will hang and jolt forward. The only way to really make sure this is whats happening is to see the digital readout on the dash screen between the tachometer and speedometer. The ST is somewhat similar and if your driving aggressively and not being as smooth as possible with shifts the needle will hang and buck like the RS is showing, wheel slip will exacerbate the issue as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They show the car on a track at the end and only the speedo during the run... any outside video of the run? How can we guarantee it was going dead straight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It seemed like we might have had pretty poor driving here? The launch seemed huried, and was drifting backwards slightly. The shifts seemed off, and rather slow. At around 190kmph, they seemed to completely let off for a moment and lost speed and then back to around 195 and then shutting off. Lastly, I notice the outside view at the end shows the car making a slight banking turn. All these factors coming together could really affect things.

The speedo was behaving oddly as well. I hope that is not how all of our RS's speedos will work.

I was a little bummed by the video. I could be totally wrong, but I actually hope I'm not.

QUESTION for the experts: With a skilled driver with good traction (like perhaps at the drag strip), could the fastest time be achieved by a launch without the launch mode? Or is the launch mode the fastest way to 60mph and a blazing 1/4 time no matter what?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It seemed like we might have had pretty poor driving here? The launch seemed huried, and was drifting backwards slightly. The shifts seemed off, and rather slow. At around 190kmph, they seemed to completely let off for a moment and lost speed and then back to around 195 and then shutting off. Lastly, I notice the outside view at the end shows the car making a slight banking turn. All these factors coming together could really affect things.

The speedo was behaving oddly as well. I hope that is not how all of our RS's speedos will work.

I was a little bummed by the video. I could be totally wrong, but I actually hope I'm not.

QUESTION for the experts: With a skilled driver with good traction (like perhaps at the drag strip), could the fastest time be achieved by a launch without the launch mode? Or is the launch mode the fastest way to 60mph and a blazing 1/4 time no matter what?
absolutely. ford set up launch mode with durability in mind

·
Super Moderator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, at first the way it launched I thought the roadway was wet. (Nope)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think it has something to do with the refresh rate of the speed sensor as the speedometer needle does not seem very smooth. If you slow the video down to .25 x speed it almost looks like a mechanical watch beating away to a specific cycle. If the speed fluctuates greatly between the refresh cycle it will hang and jolt forward. The only way to really make sure this is whats happening is to see the digital readout on the dash screen between the tachometer and speedometer. The ST is somewhat similar and if your driving aggressively and not being as smooth as possible with shifts the needle will hang and buck like the RS is showing, wheel slip will exacerbate the issue as well.
I see what you're saying about the refresh rate, but i see that more when it was higher in speed (over 100 km/h). The shift points I was mentioning had a really long time where it wasn't even moving despite hearing the engine revving up already.

Either way, if it is a refresh rate cycle issue, that's pretty crappy. I don't have experience with these digital gauges so I don't know if that's common, but I hope it's an actual smooth sweep, not an "update eveyr half second" motion.

·
Registered
717 Posts
so what's a good 0-200 time? I seem to only really find supercars with listed info, and those are all around 8-11s, and also happen to cost $100k+

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wouldnt put to much thought into that outside shot, it looks like the same stock ford video that has been on every video review. They provided a ton of footage to all of the reviewers. Also looks lome you were SOL if your test car was Grey, because all the stock footage is blue.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Audi RS6? I think you meant RS3... The RS6 reaches 200 kph in the low 12 second range.

At any rate I'm already itching for some mods considering my current daily (totally stock) completes the 0-200 kph sprint in the mid 15 second range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts