Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time, time for an oil change. For the longevity of engine power and health, it seems that using an oil that has lower NOACK volatility will reduce the oil vapors going back through the intake and baking on to the intake ports.

I kinda remember seeing a comparison of the NOACK volatility scores of different RS-spec compatible oils. I think there was even a bar graph. I can't seem to find it though, anyone have that handy, if I didn't just dream it up? And I'm having trouble even finding any number just for the Motorcraft XO-5w50-QGT stuff. Is there any test result available just for the Motorcraft one?

Is there a consensus on low volatility oils and reducing carbon buildup on the intake of direct injection engines, or is it not worth thinking about?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The answer to the NOACK question is generally yes - It's a big deal. I haven't seen what spec sheet for the motorcraft 5w-50 - But generally the greater the weight of oil the lower the volatility.

I owned a 2017 V60 Polestar and Volvo only cares if an oil meets ACEA A5/B5. If you read up on the ACEA ratings a big part of this was the carbon buildup issue and NOACK volatility.

That being said, there are plenty of Drive-E equipped Volvo's I see still having to have their intake runners cleaned.

Ultimately Ford wants an oil with their Ford spec along with being SN Plus. The only oil that meets this along with the proper weight on the cap is the Motorcraft.. So Ford has made the choice easy here.

That being said, out of warranty Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is what i'll be moving to as it's cheaper and commonly found. From what I've found PUP is the only commonly carried oil at retail that carries the ACEA A5/B5 rating.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are other oils out there that will maintain warranty. This has come up a lot around here.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Asoil 5w50 also meets the spec, and there is one other oil that does as well. But I use Amsoil in everything I own so....

·
Registered
429 Posts
We need to stop saying amsoil meets the spec, of all the oils supposedly carrying Ford's unique spec, they are not sn certified. The only oil that truly meets the spec is Ford. If you read your manual it says any suitable weight that's sn certified. Read the other oil threads I'm too lazy to link

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I've looked online and in my actual manual. I see no mention of SN plus or certified.

·
Registered
429 Posts
To quote the RS owner's manual supplement:
"If you are unable to find an engine oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C931-C, it is acceptable to use a motor oil of the recommended viscosity grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark. An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Council (ILSAC)."

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
@tedsRS If you go to amsoil.com and look up the 5w50 and go to the data bulletin and scroll down. You'll see that it meets the spec so you shouldn't have to worry about the API SN stuff.

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM…; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang*)

I know I saw it somewhere else as well but can't seem to find it again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you read the linked thread, posts by @LSxBrad he explains amsoil is not sn certified. They claim to exceed the certication, but have not submitted their oil to be tested for certification. I'll stick with my certified Mobil 1. Seeing as how the manual specifically makes the distinction of being certified and not just carrying a meets spec label.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
per your own quote directly from the manual it says the certification only comes into play if it doesn't meet the spec. The only worry for me would be that it says *mustang.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The quote is "If not X, then do X" which is pretty cut and dry. No interpretation is needed there, it's not even enough to make a lawyer's ear twitch with the thought of being needed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Unless of course the definition of WSS-M2C931-C includes API SN lol.. would be nice to see the definition, but I can't find it anywhere. Im bowing out now. Amsoil claims they have too much phosphorus to meet API, phosphorus is good. It's probably fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Amsoil does NOT meet the WSS-M2C931-C Ford spec, and even they don't claim to "meet" it. They "suggest" it for use with that spec. It is just fancy lawyer speak, that makes you think it meets it, without actually saying it does, because if they claimed it and didn't meet it, they'd be open to a lawsuit. Amsoil 5W50 doesn't have API approval either, so it fails on both counts with Ford. I'm not saying it is a bad oil...it just doesn't meet warranty requirements, which some may not care about. The excess phosphorus is a catalyst poison, and Ford doesn't want to be replacing cats under the extended federal emissions warranty.

As of right now, there are only 2 oils that meet Ford spec...Motorcraft and Castrol Supercar, but there are others that satisfy warranty requirements, such as M1 5W50, since it is officially API SN certified.

As for NOACK volatility...the lower, the better...but it isn't everything. I also look for an oil that is mid SAPS/low in sulfated ash, as these are the deposits that get left behind on your intake valves. The Motorcraft oil is a good choice, since it meets requirements, and is a low ash oil. I haven't found any other 5W50 oils that I can verify are low ash/mid SAPS, but there are some in the 40wt category. While the Motorcraft oil doesn't stay in grade very long (sheers back to a 40wt fairly quickly), I'm not sure that's a problem. Ford surly knows this, and kept that in mind when recommending it.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
In the link from oildepot I posted it mentions how the castrol doesn't meet the specs and specifically mentions the phosphorous as a bad thing like amsoil doesn't have as much etc..?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts