Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Ford Focus RS SG

So I bought the car second hand from someone near my area. Car was awesome and did perfectly.. except that it was using coolant very quickly. I take it to quick lanes and tell them it was using, they did nothing about it (not their problem honestly, dont blame them at all). I still notice coolant dropping quickly so I finally take it in to be serviced. They say that it was pressure tested and everything went perfectly. I had my doubts but took their word for it.

Now to this week, I called back (had been calling to check in with them over this period too) and the assistant service manager was annoyed with me at this point. He told me verbatim “these cars just use coolant, youre gonna have to accept that.” That one really peaked me so I called around to my nearby fords; not a single ford dealer agreed that this should be happening.

Finally last Friday the car blew up and I towed it in to my Ford and had them diagnose. They finally told me that it was a coolant related issue. Coolant was leaking into the head and caused my car to lift a valve and crack a piston. They called back with news that I had modified the car and thats why this happened. They claim that I tampered with the turbo control valve and plugged some vacuum line and ran it to a meter (...what does that even mean). I have installed a boomba BOV and COBB rear motor mount. Neither of which have anything to do with coolant getting into the heads.

Now I have no clue what to do because it's $9,000 for a new motor and they wont even listen to me at this point. Im told that because Im the second owner and I “tampered” with the car, there is no chance of me getting this under warranty. I have filed a case against them, but no progress on that so far. Would love to hear what you guys would suggest I do.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Sure hope you didn't sign those abitration papers that waive the right to a civil suit.

While this is the risk of modifying a car, it sounds like you have a particularly ****ty dealership. If they haven't started the warranty void process its time to get the car to a dealership who will actually look at the car and the failure history.

In order to lift a head, you need serious combustion chamber pressure, the kind of pressure that's only found with detonation and pre-ignition. My bet is there are no signs of carbon scoring and all sorts of signs of coolant washing the oil film away and scuffing the cylinder walls.

You have a **** dealer, and if they've already started the voiding process you will need to try and get with a lawyer. Find a mod friendly dealership, get the car there. Have them do a 2nd inspection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure hope you didn't sign those abitration papers that waive the right to a civil suit.

While this is the risk of modifying a car, it sounds like you have a particularly ****ty dealership. If they haven't started the warranty void process its time to get the car to a dealership who will actually look at the car and the failure history.

In order to lift a head, you need serious combustion chamber pressure, the kind of pressure that's only found with detonation and pre-ignition. My bet is there are no signs of carbon scoring and all sorts of signs of coolant washing the oil film away and scuffing the cylinder walls.

You have a **** dealer, and if they've already started the voiding process you will need to try and get with a lawyer. Find a mod friendly dealership, get the car there. Have them do a 2nd inspection.
Firstly, thanks for the reply.

Secondly, I think thats what I’ll do, I plan on trailering it down about 2 hours to have them take a look at it.

As to the warranty void stuff, would I have to call and ask for this information? Or would it be provided to me, becuase I havent signed anything for heard anything of the sort.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I have to agree the dealer is trying to dodge it. You still have the paperwork from the previous check and reporting the issue of coolant consumption?

a RMM mod and a BOV would not cause that.

@thirdgen89gta indicated, go to another dealer.

Good luck sir.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Maybe your reading too much into the wording of a non technical guy. Looks to me like he's had the typical HG leaking coolant into the cylinder and it eventually caused an hydraulic lock and cracked the piston. Probably bent a rod as well. Has it had the head gasket replaced previously? Was it a car that was part of the HG recall?
Forget the dealer and go to Ford corporate.

Ciao

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe your reading too much into the wording of a non technical guy. Looks to me like he's had the typical HG leaking coolant into the cylinder and it eventually caused an hydraulic lock and cracked the piston. Probably bent a rod as well. Has it had the head gasket replaced previously? Was it a car that was part of the HG recall?

Ciao
Youre right that Im not the ‘most’ technical lol. Did hydrolock cylinder 4 tho. Hg was in for recall from the previous owner. He and I have stayed in contact throughout this. But yea, word from the boro was scarring, bent rod, cracked piston, lifted valve. They never mentioned a word ab the hg tho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Youre right that Im not the ‘most’ technical lol. Did hydrolock cylinder 4 tho. Hg was in for recall from the previous owner. He and I have stayed in contact throughout this. But yea, word from the boro was scarring, bent rod, cracked piston, lifted valve. They never mentioned a word ab the hg tho.
Have filed a case with fords Customer Relations center though. Is there a better way to get in contact with them?

·
Registered
825 Posts
shifty dealer.
ford customer relations will be better help.

I would not go back to same dealer only more issues will arrise like a ****ty job or brake something else.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Ciao

Ciao
I agree with lucky phil.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Didn't mean to dis you re technical competence. Lifted valve probably means the broken piston and bent rod have hit the valve and bent it and now it doesn't seat properly so is "lifted" off the seat.
Doesn't really matter I guess.
Hope you get it resolved.

Ciao

·
Registered
387 Posts
Didn't mean to dis you re technical competence. Lifted valve probably means the broken piston and bent rod have hit the valve and bent it and now it doesn't seat properly so is "lifted" off the seat.

Ciao
So the HG was replaced. Not done correctly?

·
Registered
480 Posts

Ciao
Ford corporate are just as f$%ked, they say it's the dealer and they have no say, you need to work it out with the dealer, waste of farkin time they are.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Ciao
Re-read it. I said that I doubt they'd find the carbon scoring indicative of a detonation or pre-ignition condition. Det and pre-ign are classic hallmark signs of a poor tune. It leads to heavy carbon scoring and melted pistons & cracked ring-lands. The damage looks very different from damage caused by a hydrolock.

I said they'd likely find scuffing on the cylinder walls where the coolant wore away the oil film on the cylinder walls, which is a classic sign of the head gasket problem when it gets bad enough.

I was pointing towards a HG failure as the cause of the cracked piston due to hydrolock.

My car had the HG issue and hydro locked after many, MANY visits to a dealership where I out-right told them it was burning the coolant. I knew what was going on, but Ford was in denial. So I made the videos and paper trail. Every time it was low I went to the dealership and complained and made them top off the coolant and note how much. This went on for 3 months before the engine finally hydro locked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ciao
Maybe just the way I talk lol. Bent a valve might be a better way to put it. Not that it matters lol, I guarantee you're smarter than I am lol.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Re-read it. I said that I doubt they'd find the carbon scoring indicative of a detonation or pre-ignition condition. Det and pre-ign are classic hallmark signs of a poor tune.

I said they'd likely find scuffing on the cylinder walls where the coolant wore away the oil film on the cylinder walls, which is a classic sign of the head gasket problem when it gets bad enough.

I was pointing towards a HG failure as the cause of the cracked piston due to hydrolock.

My car had the HG issue and hydro locked after many, MANY visits to a dealership where I out-right told them it was burning the coolant. I knew what was going on, but Ford was in denial. So I made the videos and paper trail. Every time it was low I went to the dealership and complained and made them top off the coolant and note how much. This went on for 3 months before the engine finally hydro locked.
My response was just aimed at the posters use of terminology. You mentioned "lifted Head" and he mentioned "lifted valve" is all.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Maybe just the way I talk lol. Bent a valve might be a better way to put it. Not that it matters lol, I guarantee you're smarter than I am lol.
Often it's the front of house "customer service" person/manager that uses incorrect terminology and the customer doesn't realise because he's not a mechanic, which is fair enough. Half the time the service manager hasn't got a clue himself.

Ciao

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re-read it. I said that I doubt they'd find the carbon scoring indicative of a detonation or pre-ignition condition. Det and pre-ign are classic hallmark signs of a poor tune. It leads to heavy carbon scoring and melted pistons & cracked ring-lands. The damage looks very different from damage caused by a hydrolock.

There is good scarring on the cylinder walls. Since your issue seems all too similar to mine Ill make sure get my HG checked out when I take it in again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Often it's the front of house "customer service" person/manager that uses incorrect terminology and the customer doesn't realise because he's not a mechanic, which is fair enough. Half the time the service manager hasn't got a clue himself.

Ciao
Yea lol, ass. service manager said to me verbatim “These cars just use coolant, you just gotta accept that”
I do know enough to know that is definitely not true lol. Im hoping they record all their phone calls just for him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts