Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
The kit is $6900 and is full plug n play with harness. You would need to buy it though a motec dealer. Motec provides the firmware and the licenses are tied to the ecu not the software. You could go and download Motec's software and some of their firmware packages off of their website now if you wanted to. As far as needing tech support....I am a full time tuner, it's what I do 60+ hours a week. Asking weather I need tech support isn't really going to be applicable to the normal user, but to answer your questions yes I did have questions haha.
Thanks. That's expensive IMHO for a road car. I'm sure it's a fantastic package but we don't need 8x DI / 8x coil drivers for this 4 cylinder engine, it's based on a platform that is expensive to begin with. I was contemplating the Cosworth SQ7Di for my engine but the work is a bit daunting for a 1-off. Still contemplating.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A fuel tech is like 2500$, I'd say that's likely just as capable and supports the new electronic wastegate which is a game changer for precise control. I will talk to the guys over there and see what they think. Doesn't support the needed CAN functions for OEM integration.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A fuel tech is like 2500$, I'd say that's likely just as capable and supports the new electronic wastegate which is a game changer for precise control. I will talk to the guys over there and see what they think.
if they have full can bus support that could be cool. Also motec supports electronic waste gates and anything else you want to do with these.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks. That's expensive IMHO for a road car. I'm sure it's a fantastic package but we don't need 8x DI / 8x coil drivers for this 4 cylinder engine, it's based on a platform that is expensive to begin with. I was contemplating the Cosworth SQ7Di for my engine but the work is a bit daunting for a 1-off. Still contemplating.
it is expensive. it's also more of a necessity when you get into high hp builds. I'm talking 700+ whp cars. Having DI and PI controlled by one box with fail safes in place is priceless. The way I look at it is like this if the motec saves me one engine it's paid for it self.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Also I'll say this. Alot of you are caught up on the price. You can do this for cheaper if you want. You can get a universal standalone like a syvecs sgdi-4, or a universal motec m142, get a switch panel, a racepak display, and do the wiring you self. This also requires you to build your own base files. Which I assume if you are going through all this trouble you already know how to do that. What I have is plug and play, my oem start button works, so do the gauges, and the motec talks to all of the body modules, including the RDU. That's the big difference, and the main reason why the cost is higher.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You get what you pay for and there is no doubt you provide top notch service and knowledge; I was always extremely happy with my e-tunes. How's your build coming along, gonna be ready for next drag season?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You get what you pay for and there is no doubt you provide top notch service and knowledge; I was always extremely happy with my e-tunes. How's your build coming along, gonna be ready for next drag season?
So the car is just about back together now. I just swapped from the piper 285's to the 300's with new head studs. My guy should have his plate cleared enough in the next month or two so he can start design on my dog box. We all know the trans is the weak leak on these.....well at least one of them hahah. Once I get the trans in it I'll really be able to hammer on it and put it down the track. There's just really no point right now with the normal syncros. Next year should be a really good year. I'm having a house built with the garage having a bay designed for a lift. The builder looked at me a bit funny when I said I needed rebar in one section of the garage slab lol. It will give me more space and easier access to **** at home.

·
Registered
698 Posts
**** ya, a dog engagement gear set with some nice billet shafts/forks sounds GREAT! I would be in line for that product for sure, I hope you plan to sell that at some point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
**** ya, a dog engagement gear set with some nice billet shafts/forks sounds GREAT! I would be in line for that product for sure, I hope you plan to sell that at some point.
I mean if people are interested sure, but I doubt the interest is going to be there. You really need a motec to be able to FFS with it. A wot box isn't going to be good enough to flat shift. At least that's what Pablo at sp63 told me when we talked about dog boxes earlier this year. Dog boxes are expensive as well. if people don't want to spend 6800 on a motec I doubt they are going to want to spend 5k on a dog box that is going to be geared towards drag racing. Because I'm not just getting stronger components made I'm also extending the gear length so I don't have to shift out of 4th when I cross the line.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I mean if people are interested sure, but I doubt the interest is going to be there. You really need a motec to be able to FFS with it. A wot box isn't going to be good enough to flat shift. At least that's what Pablo at sp63 told me when we talked about dog boxes earlier this year. Dog boxes are expensive as well. if people don't want to spend 6800 on a motec I doubt they are going to want to spend 5k on a dog box that is going to be geared towards drag racing. Because I'm not just getting stronger components made I'm also extending the gear length so I don't have to shift out of 4th when I cross the line.
I would happily spend 5K on a true dogbox, looking around and the one mountune never released (to my knowledge), i've been seeing 10K on average for them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The gearbox sold by MT is a Quaife. I’d not touch it with a 3-yard pole.

Besides that I find the idea of making a gear kit with longer ratios a bit surprising? The stock first is too short it could be made a little longer then close ratios with redline in 6th at 200 km/h is what I think would be nice.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Drag racing you typically want to shift as little as possible hence the advantage of transmissions like the powerglide, so I a 1, 2, 3, 4 is the max you would want for a MT...1, 2, 3 or 1, 2 being even more effective and ideal. Drag racing is rarely about efficiency.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mountune won't even sell you that gearbox if you try to buy it. I talked to one of their engineers about it last year. US Mountune broke I think 3 or 4 of them and the UK office broke a few more. The blue RS that mountune had with that gear box is back on a factory 6 speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I don't post on here often, but I know at least a few of you would find what I'm doing with my RS interesting.

The car is currently built with a 4 port head using a precision 6466.
When I last had it on the dyno I laid down 687whp on the dyno before my tires wouldn't hold anymore. I'm not your normal RS owner I'm building this car for straight line drag racing. I tune some of the fastest Ecoboost mustangs in the world, and I want to give the RS community a better time than the current best of 11.0 haha.

Je viens de prendre un Motec Plug N Play pour courir sur la voiture. La valeur de cette construction autonome à haute puissance comme moi qui utilise du carburant auxiliaire ne peut pas être sous-estimée. Je mettrai à jour ce post quand j'aurai du temps libre avec des choses comme une liste de construction complète, mais pour le moment, ma charge de travail de réglage est à travers le toit haha.

Le Motec a un bus CAN complet. Les jauges, le bouton de démarrage, etc. fonctionnent tous et les choses que je peux faire avec sont infinies.

View attachment 352952

View attachment 352951

View attachment 352994

View attachment 352963
[/CITATION]
Bonjour ou vous avez eu l'écu MOTEC.
je recherche un pour ma RS MK3.

Merci a vous.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got the car back on Sunday. I've done a little idle/cold start tuning for the new BP300 cam's as i had to take a decent chunk of fuel out of the old tune for the BP285's. Now I have the idle trims down close to where I want them and the car is idling pretty smooth. Hopefully I'll get enough work out of the way so I can do some road tuning on Friday.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts