Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
History summary:
Picked up my RS late December, found white paint defects in the black as is described elsewhere. Took it back to dealer, they took 3 weeks and painted both bumper covers and the roof. The new paint matches the existing as close as I can tell.

Fast forward to this week.
Driving down the tollway in the middle of Chicago on cruise, and I suddenly hear an awful/scraping grinding noise. Pull over and the undertray piece that connects to the lip had pulled out of its mounting. The air pressure was pushing it down into the asphalt. So know I am under my BRAND NEW car trying to get this piece pushed back in so I can get home, cursing Ford engineers left and right. I was not pleased.

This tray is held in by push in fasteners on the front, and screws on the back. The push in fasteners are 1/4" diameter, and are a tight fit in the undertray, but the holes they push into on the lip are bigger in diameter. When the push in fasteners expand, they have less surface to grip on the lip then if the holes for the undertray and lip would match. Either they failed on their own, or due to the fact they were pulled out for the paint work and re-used. The car did not strike any debris on the road to cause this. I could not get the fasteners to continue holding the undertray up. The undertray now would pop out at less than 40mph, and after it popped out, the tray would grind on the road driving at anything faster than 20 mph.

Dealer has been apologetic and no-questions asked has order a new undertray. I told them it would be installed by them with fasteners I would provide, so this doesn't happen again. They agreed to this.
I am choosing to use plastic u-clips (sourced through e-bay) that are toyota parts (Toyota # 90467-05114), stainless screws and washers, similar to the hardware used by rally armor for their mudflaps.
172262347125_1.jpg

pics of the lip to follow

·
Registered
364 Posts
It is difficult to imagine how Ford could have screwed up the design of this simple tray any more than they have. This is clearly a recall candidate, at least in North America. Ford, are you listening?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
its supposed to be like that, its a cooling system:)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone have a picture of an undertray that hasn't been taken apart to prove whether the undertray should be above or below the lip?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts