Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Moonroof, Yes or No?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
trying to decide if I should get a moonroof or not.
I certainly can see possible enjoyment from having one (open moonroof, WOT runs in tunnels come to mind), sunshine and venting are nice as well.
the wife is 100% pro moonroof, I am undecided.

My main concern is how much lower does the headliner sit with vs without? I am 6'1" and would be pissed to find out my helmet rubs on the headliner whenever I corner.
I also don't like the idea of adding extra weight so far above roll center. Do we know how much weight the system adds?

are there any known issues on ST's in regard to moonroof quality/durability?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Its a no for me, but not because its all about performance. Just dont enjoy them much and something else to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
isn't Ken Block wearing one in intial rest run? Not sure how tall he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to Bing, he's 6'0".

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a no for me, but not because its all about performance. Just don't enjoy them much and something else to go wrong.
hah, dont hammer me for the bad poll wording. it was the first poll I ever tried to make and didn't realize there was no poll edit and you cant delete poll posts! argh!

anyway, a bit of reading on the googles suggests the moonroof steals 2" of headroom and one person estimates its weight at 80lbs.... seems a bit heavy for some glass and a motor

·
Registered
155 Posts
I didn't have a moon roof in my FocusST, and it's something I had always wished I would have had on nice days/mornings when driving to work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
80lbs isn't bad. I can see getting one with it.

I would be driving mine on the track too.

I use mine though.

By then again I don't have to have one.

I would like to see the weight difference between two cars optioned out with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Doesn't really affect rigidness in the Focus ST as the frame supports don't change. I heard it adds somewhere around 40-50 lbs, not 80. Not 100% sure though. All I know is that I work in an office all day with little sunlight... I love my Fous RS moon roof and don't think it will kill performance by any means. Tenths of seconds. I'd rather reduce weight elsewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Head with Helmet on adds 2+ inches and is my reason to go without. My E36 M3 has one and it is a problem, while I am only 5'10".

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Torso height is the variable here. If your height is in your torso, then it may be an issue. At 6'1" and a 36 in inseam I have no helmet clearance issues with my ST with a moonroof. A friend of mine that looks like one of the aliens from Close Encounters, same height as me, has his helmet rub.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doesn't really affect rigidness in the Focus ST as the frame supports don't change. I heard it adds somewhere around 40-50 lbs, not 80. Not 100% sure though. All I know is that I work in an office all day with little sunlight... I love my Fous RS moon roof and don't think it will kill performance by any means. Tenths of seconds. I'd rather reduce weight elsewhere.
not one frame support changes? that seems counterintuitive considering many moonroofs require relocation of a support or additional supports. just curious where you got that info.
I am willing to concede 80lbs seems heavy for the full system. at 40lbs, I feel better about it, but still cant get excited about having that much weight up high. think the wife is going to lose this one.

·
Registered
716 Posts
hah, dont hammer me for the bad poll wording. it was the first poll I ever tried to make and didn't realize there was no poll edit and you cant delete poll posts! argh!

anyway, a bit of reading on the googles suggests the moonroof steals 2" of headroom and one person estimates its weight at 80lbs.... seems a bit heavy for some glass and a motor

Lol not trying to hammer you on it, just my reason :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Its a no for me, but not because its all about performance. Just dont enjoy them much and something else to go wrong.

My dad would say the same thing. "It might leak" he'd say, but when he has one he likes it. Ide love to go with heated seats and the sunroof, but I need to keep cost down. Plus if I roll it over in drift mode it's just that much less glass in my face.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts